Your favourite piece of art...

some1

Banned

From faerie queene by spenser. Not the most irish of poets but an important figure in cork poetry and indeed national english poetry. Very reactionary.

Also this is sort of smut also from faerie queene but still good if you are in to that.

Saw Caravaggio's Medusa in the Uffizi in the 80's someone I know in the art world got me in, don,t know if its back on public display.
Photos don't do it justice, your right renaissance art rocks.

Whats peoples opinion on the Mona (La Gioconda), Is it now low art because of its mass popularity?, a lot of people don,t know but there speculation of a few versions.

Mona Lisa, by Leonardo da Vinci, Louvre Museum

Early copy of the Mona Lisa at the Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore, showing columns on either side of the subject

The restored copy of La Gioconda in the Museo del Prado, Madrid. The work is believed to have been made by an apprentice of Leonardo, at the same time as the original.
I believe Caravaggio's Medusa was a self portrait of his state of mind as he was going insane, well according to an art programme I watched.

D

Deleted member 2544

Non Registered Member
Someone uploaded the veiled Christ earlier in the thread. I saw it in Naples last summer and was bowled over by its majesty. Difficult to comprehend how a human could create such a masterpiece.

bestinclass

PI Member
Read a few years ago about a guy in Germany who has a Gullwing in a specially built display room in his house and every evening he sits in the room sipping cognac and looking at it.

johnhan279

PI Member
The Triumph of Death
Pieter Bruegel the Elder
Date: c.1562 - c.1563
This painting depicts a customary theme in medieval literature: the dance of Death, which was frequently used by Northern artists. Brueghel casts the entire work in a reddish-brown tone that gives the scene an infernal aspect appropriate for the subject at hand. The profusion of scenes and moralizing sense applied by the artists are part of Hieronymous Bosch´s influence on this work. Bruegel combines two distinct visual traditions within the panel. These are his native tradition of Northern woodcuts of the Dance of Death and the Italian conception of the Triumph of Death, as in frescoes he would have seen in the Palazzo Sclafani in Palermo and in the Camposanto Monumentale at Pisa.

Karloff

PI Member
The Triumph of Death
Pieter Bruegel the Elder
Date: c.1562 - c.1563
This painting depicts a customary theme in medieval literature: the dance of Death, which was frequently used by Northern artists. Brueghel casts the entire work in a reddish-brown tone that gives the scene an infernal aspect appropriate for the subject at hand. The profusion of scenes and moralizing sense applied by the artists are part of Hieronymous Bosch´s influence on this work. Bruegel combines two distinct visual traditions within the panel. These are his native tradition of Northern woodcuts of the Dance of Death and the Italian conception of the Triumph of Death, as in frescoes he would have seen in the Palazzo Sclafani in Palermo and in the Camposanto Monumentale at Pisa.

To me the most terrifying artwork ever created. Nightmarish but all the more so because the theme is true (we all die no matter who what we are or do). Not one for Thanatophobes.

johnhan279

PI Member
To me the most terrifying artwork ever created. Nightmarish but all the more so because the theme is true (we all die no matter who what we are or do). Not one for Thanatophobes.
To think of the times they lived in, war, brutality, hardship, plague, famine. Death was ever present.

Karloff

PI Member
Look at the way he has painted the snow on the tower, the shadows there and in the sky. So mysterious and almost unreal. He captured the weird beautiful shadows caused on a snowy landscape so well and the glowing sky.

Painting based on a medieval scene by Klavdy Lebedev

Top Bottom