Welcome to Political Irish

We believe in free legal speech, fair play and good discussion. Sign up and join in!

Register Log in
  • Before posting anything about the COVID-19 virus, please read this first Click Here

You can't actually say that Irish is a "race" or an ethnicity

Paul McGrath Phil Lynott Chris Houghuton Darren Randdolp.
you could add katie Taylor, Clinton Morrison and Mick McCarthy to the list.

did most of these have an irish mother and an overseas father ? ( and is it a curious coincidence how few are the other way around ? ) What proportion of the above kids grew up in a family that the father was absentee ? 20% ? 90% ?

or at least one irish parent ?

did they grow up in ireland?

did they learn gaeilge at school ?

did their family pay taxes in ireland ?

do their family have an absence of languages other than English/irish ?

the more connections to ireland the more irish the person is.

is Mick McCarthy English or irish ? What about President Kennedy ?

Last edited:

Karloff

PI Member
The invasions of the Normans etc, the great hunger - these should be arguments as to why the Irish race deserves to be preserved (ie to cut us a break) but instead they are used as arguments for it's full destruction today - for the permissibility of that destruction.

That is why we can lump McGuirk, Gorman, Flanagan et al in with Cromwell, Strongbow, Trevelyan.

Rommel

PI Member
you could add katie Taylor, Clinton Morrison and Mick McCarthy to the list.

did most of these have an irish mother and an overseas father ? ( and is it a curious coincidence how few are the other way around ? ) What proportion of the above kids grew up in a family that the father was absentee ? 20% ? 90% ?

or at least one irish parent ?

did they grow up in ireland?

did they learn gaeilge at school ?

did their family pay taxes in ireland ?

do their family have an absence of languages other than English/irish ?

the more connections to ireland the more irish the person is.

is Mick McCarthy English or irish ? What about President Kennedy ?
If you have Irish parents or you were born on the island you are Irish once you settle into the lifestyle and don’t cause trouble work and pay bills and taxes there should be nothing more to it. Do you tell someone like Darren Randolph himself and his siblings aren’t Irish because their old man came to Ireland in the 80’s as a 24 year old playing sport and married a Dublin girl while he went on to becoming an Irish citizen himself

Now if you want to be a proud Irish person who sings the anthem in irish and sleep in a tricolour jocks best of luck you are still as Irish as the likes of Phil Lynott Paul McGrath and Katie Taylor.

atkin8

PI Member
Three of the four were born here
were they all born to irish mothers and international fathers ?
I live in the Philippines for part of the year . They do not regard themselves as native . The natives tribes live in the mountains some are of African decent . My ancestors came from Scotland and Wales so some would say I am not native I don't really care .

I find the Russian anthem more rousing than the irish anthem .

Last edited:

Rommel

PI Member
You mean "weren't" born here. Only Randolph was born in Ireland. The other three were born in England.
There is still an Irish parent in the mix and they were born in a time where the catholic cult ruled everything here which meant having a child abroad was a safer less scandalous option.

Top Bottom