You can't actually say that Irish is a "race" or an ethnicity

SwordOfStCatherine

Staff member
Premium
PI Member
This is the fellow who put himself at the head of the anti-repeal campaign.
I count as a "Conservative Catholic" because I firmly belong within the "Hermeneutic of Continuity"/Pope Benedict XVI wing of the Church but because I am not a cradle Catholic and have been exposed to a lot of different influences to them I can sometimes, and I stress sometimes, see the world radically differently to how cradle Irish "Conservative Catholics" see the world. They kept telling themselves since the 1990s that society here was just going through a phase and that Gaels almost did not need Baptism because they were almost biologically Catholic and so could never really desert Catholicism, and that any day now people would return to the Church and the Church would return to orthodoxy- the abortion referendum killed those illusions and a lot of them are having difficulty coping as I have been observing.

jmcc

PI Member
McGuirk is a PR flack/troll. It is as simple as that. His comments are intended to gain coverage/traffic for whatever he is pushing.

Ted

PI Member
I count as a "Conservative Catholic" because I firmly belong within the "Hermeneutic of Continuity"/Pope Benedict XVI wing of the Church but because I am not a cradle Catholic and have been exposed to a lot of different influences to them I can sometimes, and I stress sometimes, see the world radically differently to how cradle Irish "Conservative Catholics" see the world. They kept telling themselves since the 1990s that society here was just going through a phase and that Gaels almost did not need Baptism because they were almost biologically Catholic and so could never really desert Catholicism, and that any day now people would return to the Church and the Church would return to orthodoxy- the abortion referendum killed those illusions and a lot of them are having difficulty coping as I have been observing.
Pope Benedict would disown many of those who claim to act in his name.

Vote 4 Change

PI Member
Oh you can certainly talk about the Irish, or Celts, being an ethnic group. I wouldn't describe them as a race though.
Just to be sure of the initial post. McGuirk said you’re Irish if you have Citizenship. Given the Regime devaluing our Irish Citizenship by handing passports out like snuff at a wake, I think McGuirk needs to think again whAt Irish really is