Xmas Movies.

Dan Óg

Ui Máine
Staff member
Donator
Premium Account
Well it's that time of year I guess....

Inspired by the carry on on the North Korea thread by Taidge I think I'll watch

Fully agree Max,he has inspired me to watch these two good movies for Christmas.

Riker1969

Political Irish
Bill Murray's Scrooge is a nice family movie and still funny in 2017.
There was a time in my life when the Wizard of Oz seemed to be broadcast every feckin' Christmas. Not a Christmas movie per se, but it always reminds me of childhood Christmas.

My fave would have to be National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation with Chevy Chase.
Yea, I remember that. Every Christmas had the Wizard of Ozz and Star Wars a new hope.

Still, have a warm place for National Lampoons Christmas Vacation.

Superhans

Site Admin
Staff member
Site Admin
This snippet is from Joyeux Noël, a film about the 1914 Christmas truce. Although it is fanciful in many parts, overall it showed that there still existed (at least at the beginning) rules of war and that men could be humane to one another in the face of unmitigated slaughter and carnage:

This is on RTE over Christmas,

CINE TWO: JOYEUX NOEL
RTÉ Two

Thursday December 25th Christmas Day 23:30pm

Starring: Diane Kruger, Natalie Dessay, Benno Furmann, Rolando Villazon and Guillame Canet
This movie is inspired by a true story, which happened during the first World War on Christmas Eve 1914. That night a momentous event will turn the destinies of four characters; an Anglican priest, a French lieutenant, an exceptional tenor and the one he loves – a wonderful soprano and singing partner. During this Christmas Eve, the unthinkable will happen; rifles will be left at the bottom of the trenches to go to see those opposite, shake their hands, exchange a cigarette and a piece of chocolate and wish them a “Joyeux Noel.”
With English Subtitles

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator
Premium Account
I reckon any Elvis movie for Christmas Day - Viva Los Vegas is my favorite. Or a concert movie.

Tadhg Ó Raghallaigh

Donator
Premium Account
I thought something like this was more your thing for a Christmas Day film.
Compared to the book, the movie is underwhelming. Some of the acting is clunky and affected, and it seems almost hagiographical in many parts. However, the opening scene, during which the police set upon and beat the snot out of anti-Shah protesters and Benno Ohnesorg is subsequently shot dead, is excellent and pretty damn intense. It gives a harrowing glimpse into the birth of German terrorism.

If the actress in the screen shot above, Alexandra Maria Lara, had more than 10 minutes' work in the film, I'd have given it five stars. She's smokin' hot.

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator
Premium Account
Compared to the book, the movie is underwhelming. Some of the acting is clunky and affected, and it seems almost hagiographical in many parts. However, the opening scene, during which the police set upon and beat the snot out of anti-Shah protesters and Benno Ohnesorg is subsequently shot dead, is excellent and pretty damn intense. It gives a harrowing glimpse into the birth of German terrorism.

If the actress in the screen shot above, Alexandra Maria Lara, had more than 10 minutes' work in the film, I'd have given it five stars. She's smokin' hot.

Have you seen Fassbinder's Deutschland Im Herbst?