Xmas Movies.

maxflinn

Donator
Premium Account
Well it's that time of year I guess....

Inspired by the carry on on the North Korea thread I think I'll watch Groundhog Day :cool:

Another Xmas favourite of mine is Bad Santa.

It's A Wonderful Life is lovely but for me best watched on Xmas Eve or close to it.

Any favs?

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator
Premium Account
Well it's that time of year I guess....

Inspired by the carry on on the North Korea thread I think I'll watch Groundhog Day :cool:

Another Xmas favourite of mine is Bad Santa.

It's A Wonderful Life is lovely but for me best watched on Xmas Eve or close to it.

Any favs?

Yes, It's a Wonderful Life really does stand out. It's strangely difficult to think of any else on that level. Most Christmas movies are very crass money making operations.

OP
OP
maxflinn

maxflinn

Donator
Premium Account
Yes, It's a Wonderful Life really does stand out. It's strangely difficult to think of any else on that level. Most Christmas movies are very crass money making operations.
Yeah I think it's my favourite. Maybe it's because it's so old, but it seems more authentic than most if that makes sense. It has that charm about it.

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator
Premium Account
Yeah I think it's my favourite. Maybe it's because it's so old, but it seems more authentic than most if that makes sense. It has that charm about it.

Very true a chara, and it has a great deal of social commentary that has become even more relevant as time has passed. I don't want to take this thread off topic, but I mentioned on the Mick Wallace thread about Irish banks now selling home loans to foreign vulture funds and leaving Irish people in the power of people they never even heard of. Anyone watching It's a Wonderful Life today can't but be struck by the difference between a community bank who's asset is the community and its spirit - and the vile criminality that passes for banking today.

OP
OP
maxflinn

maxflinn

Donator
Premium Account
Very true a chara, and it has a great deal of social commentary that has become even more relevant as time has passed. I don't want to take this thread off topic, but I mentioned on the Mick Wallace thread about Irish banks now selling home loans to foreign vulture funds and leaving Irish people in the power of people they never even heard of. Anyone watching It's a Wonderful Life today can't but be struck by the difference between a community bank who's asset is the community and its spirit - and the vile criminality that passes for banking today.
A very good observation Tadhg, and I totally agree.

Tadhg Ó Raghallaigh

Donator
Premium Account
This snippet is from Joyeux Noël, a film about the 1914 Christmas truce. Although it is fanciful in many parts, overall it showed that there still existed (at least at the beginning) rules of war and that men could be humane to one another in the face of unmitigated slaughter and carnage:

Last edited:

Tadhg Ó Raghallaigh

Donator
Premium Account
The banks and the military-industrial complex are truly public enemies one and two. How many lives have they jettisoned into the sewer for the almighty dollar/euro/pound?

2pacs

Donator
Premium Account
Elf is always good for a laugh, The Mrs loves Love Actually, for the Kids on Christmas Eve its Polar Express.

But as above nothing can beat It's a Wonderful Life, even has a Spiritual side to it.

Bill Murray's Scrooge is a nice family movie and still funny in 2017.
There was a time in my life when the Wizard of Oz seemed to be broadcast every feckin' Christmas. Not a Christmas movie per se, but it always reminds me of childhood Christmas.

My fave would have to be National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation with Chevy Chase.