Would you vote for a DUP candidate if they stood in the Republic?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2544
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2544

Non Registered Member
I realise this is far fetched, but let's say that the DUP decided to field a few candidates in Irish elections, would you consider voting for them? A few years ago I would never have even considered the question. As an Irish Republican in solidarity with Nationalists in the North, I always despised the jingoistic, sectarian faction of unionism - e.g. the Orange Order or the kind of people who would jeer and harass schoolgirls walking through their area (I should say that I am friends with Unionists who don't belong to this faction). I always associated the DUP with this hardcore element within Ulster unionism.

But in recent years I have kind of developed a grudging admiration for DUP politicians who refuse to bow to fashionable opinion. While political parties in the Republic have almost wholesale adopted the tenants of secular liberalism, the DUP have remained steadfast in their commitment to conservative social and moral principles. If they did field candidates in the Republic they would be the only out and out pro-life party - an important consideration for me when I vote.

What are people's thoughts?

Threads
It's funny, but I'll bet if you took the particular religions out of it (Catholic and Protestant), the core values of the average DUP candidate would be far closer to those of the average SF voter than the values of the people they actually vote for. I've yet to meet a real-life SF voter who actually believes in the whole SF rainbow flag/no borders shite.

SwordOfStCatherine

Staff member
PI Member
Threads
Both my sister and my dad are members of the DUP- principally though because of how in Northern Ireland being a member of a Political Party opens you up to owning proper guns. Maybe during the Chuckle Brothers Era you could argue for people voting for the DUP but given the fact of their Nigerian levels of corruption and tribalist trolling there is no way that I would suggest people even think about voting for them. Also while the fast majority of DUP members and voters are anti-abortion I don't believe for a second that Arlene is.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 2544

Non Registered Member
It's funny, but I'll bet if you took the particular religions out of it (Catholic and Protestant), the core values of the average DUP candidate would be far closer to those of the average SF voter than the values of the people they actually vote for. I've yet to meet a real-life SF voter who actually believes in the whole SF rainbow flag/no borders shite.
That's very true. Any Sinn Féin members I know (generally working class Dublin) couldn't be more at odds with the right-on faction that Mary Lou represents.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 2544

Non Registered Member
Both my sister and my dad are members of the DUP- principally though because of how in Northern Ireland being a member of a Political Party opens you up to owning proper guns. Maybe during the Chuckle Brothers Era you could argue for people voting for the DUP but given the fact of their Nigerian levels of corruption and tribalist trolling there is no way that I would suggest people even think about voting for them. Also while the fast majority of DUP members and voters are anti-abortion I don't believe for a second that Arlene is.
I know what you mean. But I think many people in the Republic - particularly Catholics - have become so disillusioned with the current crop of political parties that they would consider voting for them. My father is in his late 60's, from Dublin, and is a die hard Republican - but also a devout Catholic. He's involved with the Irish speaking community in West Belfast and has many Nationalist friends in the North. He would have supported the IRA during their campaign throughout the troubles. But it wouldn't even cross his mind to vote for Sinn Féin now. He and many others feel betrayed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Threads
I realise this is far fetched, but let's say that the DUP decided to field a few candidates in Irish elections, would you consider voting for them? A few years ago I would never have even considered the question. As an Irish Republican in solidarity with Nationalists in the North, I always despised the jingoistic, sectarian faction of unionism - e.g. the Orange Order or the kind of people who would jeer and harass schoolgirls walking through their area (I should say that I am friends with Unionists who don't belong to this faction). I always associated the DUP with this hardcore element within Ulster unionism.

But in recent years I have kind of developed a grudging admiration for DUP politicians who refuse to bow to fashionable opinion. While political parties in the Republic have almost wholesale adopted the tenants of secular liberalism, the DUP have remained steadfast in their commitment to conservative social and moral principles. If they did field candidates in the Republic they would be the only out and out pro-life party - an important consideration for me when I vote.

What are people's thoughts?
Why would a DUP candidate seek election to a parliament in a different jurisdiction?

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 2544

Non Registered Member
I'd vote for any party with a Pro Life ethos. Needless to say, I wouldn't not vote for any Abortionist party - regardless of what other polices they might have. In short, I certainly would vote for the DUP.
That's pretty much how I feel. We need a pro-life party in the Republic.

Top Bottom