Political Irish | The Irish Politics & Current Affairs Website

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Before posting anything about the COVID-19 virus, please read this first Click Here

Video Would you die for Ireland?

• Thread starter Deleted member 1350
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1350

Non Registered Member

Cameraman asks multiple people the simple question "Would you die for Ireland?" and gauges the responses.

An interesting insight into the mind of the average person on the street. Quite your expected Oirish begrudgery from some more older people. But also a good lot of young lads who immediately say "Yes", without hesitation or prompt. Of course the question isn't given with context, so it'd mean different things to different people, but people's interpretations of the question are equally as interesing as their answers to me. Some obviously interpret is as "die for the current government", whereas others obviously see it as "die for the nation".

Also interesting to note Bertie Ahern at 4:00 mealy-mouthing in his answer, an Irish Taoiseach who wouldn't even unreservedly say he'd be willing to pay the ultimate sacrifice for his country is no leader.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dublin 4

Donator
PI Member

Oooooh I cud tell ya blood curdlin stories...

GodsDog

PI Member
The 1916 patriots died for Ireland.
Look what happened!

"Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel!"

You have only one short life. It is a wonderful opportunity.
You should not allow yourself to be conned by anyone into throwing it away lightly.

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator
PI Member
The 1916 patriots died for Ireland.
Look what happened!

"Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel!"

You have only one short life. It is a wonderful opportunity.
You should not allow yourself to be conned by anyone into throwing it away lightly.

The only reason there are still a few human beings left in Ireland is because those noble men and women shed their sacred blood for our nation. Otherwise we'd all be bottom feeding vermin like Varadkar and Colm O'Gorman.

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator
PI Member

Cameraman asks multiple people the simple question "Would you die for Ireland?" and gauges the responses.

An interesting insight into the mind of the average person on the street. Quite your expected Oirish begrudgery from some more older people. But also a good lot of young lads who immediately say "Yes", without hesitation or prompt. Of course the question isn't given with context, so it'd mean different things to different people, but people's interpretations of the question are equally as interesing as their answers to me. Some obviously interpret is as "die for the current government", whereas others obviously see it as "die for the nation".

Also interesting to note Bertie Ahern at 4:00 mealy-mouthing in his answer, an Irish Taoiseach who wouldn't even unreservedly say he'd be willing to pay the ultimate sacrifice for his country is no leader.

At this point in time what's needed is men and women to live and win for Ireland. We must be ruthless in the face of the enemy. It's the enemy who must die - must be exterminated.

GodsDog

PI Member
The only reason there are still a few human beings left in Ireland is because those noble men and women shed their sacred blood for our nation. Otherwise we'd all be bottom feeding vermin like Varadkar and Colm O'Gorman.

According to you no voters, 70% of us already are anyway! LOLlllllllllllll

I lament the utter waste of a man like James Connolly who could have been the driver of real change
in some pointless and futile violence going nowhere.

What use was he dead?

OP
D

Deleted member 1350

Non Registered Member
At this point in time what's needed is men and women to live and win for Ireland. We must be ruthless in the face of the enemy. It's the enemy who must die - must be exterminated.

"It is not those who can inflict the most, but those that can suffer the most who will conquer", Terence MacSwiney

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator
PI Member
According to you no voters, 70% of us already are anyway! LOLlllllllllllll

I lament the utter waste of a man like James Connolly who could have been the driver of real change
in some pointless and futile violence going nowhere.

What use was he dead?

Ireland lost its best in the 1916 Rising, and the rest of the good men and women in the Tan War and the Civil War.

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator
PI Member
"It is not those who can inflict the most, but those that can suffer the most who will conquer", Terence MacSwiney

I don't believe that's true. The enemy just wears us down, little by little, year by year - until finally, we agree ourselves to eat our own young.

OP
D

Deleted member 1106

Non Registered Member

Dev lamass etc put their lifes on the line for Ireland.they certainly were not as revolutionary in their political careers but they were 50 times more patriotic than Bertie ever was.

OP
D

Deleted member 1350

Non Registered Member
I don't believe that's true. The enemy just wears us down, little by little, year by year - until finally, we agree ourselves to eat our own young.

I think there's much to be said about being able to take it. The first thing you learn when you start boxing is to expect to be hit, and to learn to absorb the hits and fight on anyway. I think that's one of the most important things we need to learn for nationalist politics, determination and perseverance and the ability to take hits and keep on the fight. Obviously I wouldn't endorse arbitrary or tokenistic defeats, sometimes you need to make a tactical retreat in order to fight another day.

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator
PI Member
I think there's much to be said about being able to take it. The first thing you learn when you start boxing is to expect to be hit, and to learn to absorb the hits and fight on anyway. I think that's one of the most important things we need to learn for nationalist politics, determination and perseverance and the ability to take hits and keep on the fight. Obviously I wouldn't endorse arbitrary or tokenistic defeats, sometimes you need to make a tactical retreat in order to fight another day.

True, but we have enough martyrs. Now we need to start grinding the enemy down without mercy.

Top Bottom