• Before posting anything about the COVID-19 virus, please read this first Click Here

Self Moderated Without the fear of hell, would Christianity be as successful as it currently is?

DS86DS

Donator
PI Member
Personally, I can't imagine any thought in the whole of the human imagination more terrifying than that of eternal damnation and unending suffering. The thought alone is an uncomfortable one and most would naturally prefer not to even think about it for the most part, a perfectly understandable stance for who really wants to dwell on the thought of a place of unimaginable horrors and torment that one can never escape from, and worse yet - that you may very well end up in yourself after death if religious dogma is to be believed. Perhaps the concept of a hell was a necessity to begin with, for it is doubtful Christianity would go from being a small sect within the Middle East to being a major world religion within such a short space of time and remaining so to this very day without it.

Had the early missionaries talked only of the promise of heaven and all of it's unending delights, our pagan ancestors most likely would have laughed it off and dismissed them as crackpots. But, bring hell and the menacing threat of eternal damnation into the equation and you are bound to get the attention of the audience. I'd imagine that the original missionaries spreading tales of fire and brimstone must surely have led to so many taking hede of the warning and converting, if only to be on the safe side. To this very day, it wouldn't be too unbelievable to assume that a large proportion of Christians remain in the fold simply out of the lingering fear of where they may end up when they pass into the afterlife.

Vote 4 Change

PI Member
I believe in God from a personal experience, not from a fear of hell or a desire for heaven. What I have learned is to be at peace. It wasn’t always like this for me. It’s an interesting question though. Christian preachers no longer use hell as a “sales tool”. For me, Christianity is about Wisdom to live this life well and to be able to Have the tools to cope when suffering comes knocking on your door. Entry to heaven would be a bonus! Hell would be a terrible disappointment!!

Black & Trans

PI Member
PI Member
Had the early missionaries talked only of the promise of heaven and all of it's unending delights, our pagan ancestors most likely would have laughed it off and dismissed them as crackpots. But, bring hell and the menacing threat of eternal damnation into the equation and you are bound to get the attention of the audience. I'd imagine that the original missionaries spreading tales of fire and brimstone must surely have led to so many taking hede of the warning and converting, if only to be on the safe side. To this very day, it wouldn't be too unbelievable to assume that a large proportion of Christians remain in the fold simply out of the lingering fear of where they may end up when they pass into the afterlife.
Would you, now? Hell was a Babylonian concept the Jews nicked . Yahweh's promise was He would not abandon His chosen people (ie Christians) and that made it a different gig. It was also, importantly, a complete, if over-specified model that explained everything. This can be seen in the works of Shakespeare, stairways to heaven, God's anointed and so on. Transexuals even fitted into this and there were recorded instances of men being demoted by losing their nuts and becoming women.
Christianity also harnessed and promoted science but, alas, progress cannot forever last.
Today, we have a homo regime up trying to control and bugger us all.
White it is true that the consequences of the afterlife cast a shadow over everytihng, to say that hell was a permanent party pooper is a homo ploy to denigrate the Four Masters and all saints and scholars of Ireland.

Good2BBack

PI Member
Pervasive Christianity as it is now, is not afraid of hell. Jesus chooses leaders on the basis of sociopathy.

Vote 4 Change

PI Member
Why do people without any knowledge of Faith feel they can comment about something they have zero knowledge of 😂. This is a phenomenon that twitter takes full advantage of.

Why do people without any knowledge of Faith feel they can comment about something they have zero knowledge of 😂. This is a phenomenon that twitter takes full advantage of.
why do people without any tolerance feel they can be above all criticism ?

why are so many religions beyond all scrutiny ? and often this is enforced with violence. All the big religions have a history of persecuting non-believers.

Karloff

PI Member
I always thought religion was all about death, a sentient intelligent creature contemplates his own mortality.

Go with the crowd is what it is about, if lots of people believe this go with them - safety in numbers.

Top Bottom