Win or lose Marine Le Pen will change the face of the political landscape of Europe

Win or lose, Marine Le Pen will change the face of the political landscape of Europe

French politics may be on the verge of a profound realignment

Could Marine Le Pen, leader of the far-right National Front (FN), become the next president of France? Since January, opinion polls have consistently suggested that she will win around 26 per cent of the vote in the first round of the presidential election at the end of April, a score in line with those the FN achieved in the European Parliament elections in 2014 and the regional elections in 2015.

More recent polls have her at between 23 and 24 per cent, but this would still be enough to ensure she makes it into the run-off in early May. But once there, her chances of prevailing are slim to non-existent. Since President François Hollande withdrew from the race in December, no poll has had Ms Le Pen winning in the second round against the independent centrist Emmanuel Macron or indeed any other opponent. Most surveys give her a second-round score of around 40 per cent.

However, we should be clear that polls of second-round voting intentions are of limited use. It is difficult for voters to predict with any confidence how they would behave when they do not yet know what would be on offer. - Win or lose, Le Pen could change the political landscape

A strong performance from Marine Le Pen in the forthcoming Presidential campaign, would be another clear signal of discontent with the European Union, that it is not fit for purpose in the 21st century, and it will have the same ripple effect on the Breton, Basque, Catalan and Galician Independence questions, as the Brexit election has had on the Irish, Scottish and Welsh Independence questions. The nations with the strongest claims to Independent Nationhood within France, and on its borders.

- Breton nationalism

- Basque nationalism

- Catalan independence

- Galician independence

Last edited:

Ire-land

Donator
PI Member
You could really do with putting intros at the top of these types of threads, saying something like 'this is from x,y, or z, I thought it was interesting....' copy and paste in bold or italics, and then add a clear link.

I never know know if you've written the op or what's going on.

OP
Antóin Mac Comháin
You could really do with putting intros at the top of these types of threads, saying something like 'this is from x,y, or z, I thought it was interesting....' copy and paste in bold or italics, and then add a clear link.

I never know know if you've written the op or what's going on.
I've edited the post, and my opening thoughts on the matter are emboldened below the opening section, which has a link at the bottom. The vast majority of support in favor of Independence for Brittany, the Basques, the Catalans and the Galicians, is within a European Union of some form or other, as it is with the Celtic Nations of Scotland and Wales.

Ire-land

Donator
PI Member
I've edited the post, and my opening thoughts on the matter are emboldened below the opening section, which has a link at the bottom. The vast majority of support in favor of Independence for Brittany, the Basques, the Catalans and the Galicians, is within a European Union of some form or other, as it is with the Celtic Nations of Scotland and Wales.
Sound man.

Btw, I've been in a foul humour since a traumatising day out in Dublin the other day, where playing 'spot the Paddy' is getting harder and harder, so little things are seeming to irritate me no end. Apologies for 'advising' you on how to post.

OP
Antóin Mac Comháin
'spot the Paddy'
European or Ethnic Identity?

In light of the mass migrations of non-Europeans to Europe we must redefine the notion of the political. The notion of the political is eternal, although its wording, alongside its political conceptualization, takes on different names in different time periods. We must also clarify the meaning of political concepts, such as the concept of “multicuturalism”, “identity”, “nationality”, as well as the meaning of the more atavistic communal concepts of “race” Or “ethnicity”. My main point is that various European national identities should from now on play a secondary role. I argue that our first priority should be to what is sometimes conveniently referred to as our common bio-cultural identity, or to put it in different words, the salvaging of our common and collective heredity as represented by the broader family of interrelated European peoples.

In our so-called “multicultural system”, where millions of people from hundreds of different nationalities live side by side, we should clearly draw the line between individual or particular national identity and this broader “familial” identity as described above, or better yet, between our national awareness and our European awareness. These two concepts are not always synonymous, although they often overlap. For example a Flemish national cannot be a Walloon national – just as a South Tyrolean nationalist must not be denied freedom to show his German roots to his Italian nationalist colleague.

In the English language there is no corresponding word for the German word “Volk” or “Völkisch” or the word “Narod” in Slavic languages — words which are awkwardly translated with the noun “nation” or by the adjective “national” or “ethnic” into the standard modern English language. This national consciousness, or better yet national awareness in the traditional European sense, has played a minor role in America. Until recently national consciousness in Europe was built primarily on the basis of a common language, a common sense of history and a common destiny, i.e. preconditions that had taken a different turn among early European descended Americans of the early eighteenth century. European or Ethnic Identity?

Völkisch - The Germanic Nations

The Celtic Nations

The Celtic Nations

Geotenn Ar Marv - Denez Prigent & Mari Boine

The initial post contained the map above, and I have inserted the question, European or Ethnic Identity? I don't support the proposition put forward by the American professor, that Europeans share a common bio-cultural identity, to which the national identity and will must subvert itself. I support Independence for each of the Celtic Nations, as broadly outlined in the Celtic heritage map, which is a recognizable and distinct group of Celtic people, with a combined population of approximately 20-25,000,000, and I also support Independence for the Sami people, who have their own Autonomous Parliament in Norway, but not in the other countries in which they reside, and Swedish and Russian policy towards the Sami, mirrors American and Mexican policy towards the Kickapoo Indians, and many other smaller nations along the border.

Prigent is a Breton-French-European Celt, just like Le Pens family, and Boine is a Sami native.

OP
Antóin Mac Comháin
The vast majority of support in favor of Independence for Brittany, the Basques, the Catalans and the Galicians, is within a European Union of some form or other, as it is with the Celtic Nations of Scotland and Wales.
Sound man
Marine Le Pen abandons plans to pull France out of EU

“There will be no Frexit. We have taken note of what the French people told us.

“I continue to think that the euro is not technically viable but it makes no sense for us to keep insisting stubbornly.

“From now on our policy will be to renegotiate the EU treaties to give us more control over our budget and banking regulations.”

I think French Nationalism is now positioned closer to the future aspirations of Irish, Scottish and Welsh Nationalists, and I hope Le Pen gets elected in the forthcoming elections.

Ire-land

Donator
PI Member
Marine Le Pen abandons plans to pull France out of EU

“There will be no Frexit. We have taken note of what the French people told us.

“I continue to think that the euro is not technically viable but it makes no sense for us to keep insisting stubbornly.

“From now on our policy will be to renegotiate the EU treaties to give us more control over our budget and banking regulations.”

I think French Nationalism is now positioned closer to the future aspirations of Irish, Scottish and Welsh Nationalists, and I hope Le Pen gets elected in the forthcoming elections.
It seems a reasonable concession if it gets her wider acceptance. Reform it all the way back to the EEC, the thing we all actually joined, and we'd be sorted.

FairstoodtheWind

PI Member

FairstoodtheWind

PI Member
European elections: Macron to suffer HUMILIATING defeat to France's Marine Le Pen
EMMANUEL Macron is expected to suffer a humiliating European election defeat as eurosceptics topped the polls in France, according to the EU Parliament’s official projections.
By JOE BARNES, BRUSSELS CORRESPONDENT
19:18, Sun, May 26, 2019 | UPDATED: 19:46, Sun, May 26, 2019