Welcome to Political Irish

We believe in free legal speech, fair play and good discussion. Sign up and join in!

Register Log in

Why do voters in Ireland continue to vote for Gobdaws ?

page61

PI Member
You could also, as an alternative , transport the ballot paper home and wipe your arse with it.
I am sometimes tempted to do this when I vote.

But such would be a mortal sin against the democracy , such as it is , which I support.
Its very tempting though

The Field Marshal

PI Member
Its very tempting though
The other great temptation is wipe the inane knowing grins from certain presiding officers handing out the ballot papers.
I always get the feeling they are reluctantly handed out and that they are all dying to know your voting preference.
The ballot paper , with its unique identifying number is stamped, your name then crossed off so any nosy bollox can then cross reference your name against that number and see how you cast your vote.
Secrecy my arse.

blue velvet

Staff member
Premium
PI Member

BSA

PI Member
What sort of dick does something like that
Future president...?

Often wondered about Callely Senior ..why was he singled out? ...don't say because he was guilty ....when there are much worse tossers in Leinster Hse..? liars , petty and not so petty thieves ... borderline and actual criminals...the worst of 'inherited ' political dynasties...

Di he step on someones toes ? some one big and egotistical ? big selection to choose from..

blue velvet

Staff member
Premium
PI Member
Future president...?

Often wondered about Callely Senior ..why was he singled out? ...don't say because he was guilty ....when there are much worse tossers in Leinster Hse..? liars , petty and not so petty thieves ... borderline and actual criminals...the worst of 'inherited ' political dynasties...

Di he step on someones toes ? some one big and egotistical ? big selection to choose from..
I'm not sure if he was singled out. I think he was such an egregious criminal in a place full of criminals that they had to be 'seen' to deal with him.

He has a record as long as your arm. The fraudulent mobile phone expenses, the fraudulent mileage claims, the harassing of his tenants and so on.

The story of Callely's investment in the apartment complex in Clontarf is an interesting one. He had hoped to develop property on the seafront near the old church, but it fell through because planning permission was denied.

Callely's partner, a Galway property developer committed suicide, leaving him on the hook for the whole thing.

The Field Marshal

PI Member
Like father like son . The apple does not fall far from the tree.

Well they are a very troubled family and no son can chose his father or vice versa.
Maybe a little leeway could be shown for them all.

Catalpa

PI Member
This is a serious question. All the other threads on here will dissect the performance of various Politicians, Media luvvies, Movers & Shakers. But surely the Elephant in the room is our voters. Personally i despair at how stagnant, sterile and unchanging our political environment is. The same old parties, same old surnames, same old lack of representing the wishes of Joe Public.

Beyond any doubt, most of our mainstream parties have a tainted reputation, a dodgy track-record and very many failures you can vilify them for. Yet they never disappear. In the UK the Whig party merged into the Liberal Party which itself went through many re-brandings. Across the world you often see a political party fall into disfavour and disappear. The most recent disappearance for us may have been the Progressive Democrats. But otherwise, its business as usual in the Dail while the people on the streets are angry.

Since Haughey i was always believing that our next Taoiseach couldn't be worse. A succession of great disappointments culminating in our current incumbent has proved me wrong. How much worse can this get ?

Of course the Media have a huge part to play in managing the expectations and the mindset of the public. But look at the Trump phenomenon. Using twitter to circumvent his critics and to get his message out there unedited and uncensored. Likewise Brexit was a shock to a complacent and arrogant ruling elite - a reminder of who politicians must listen to to remain in office.

but again and again it comes back to the voters. During Catholic ireland there was no secular voice in the Dáil. When US planes were using Shannon...the polls showed massive public disapproval, but not in the Dáil. During the Celtic Tiger i do not remember many voices telling us to slow down the financial profligacy. The signing of the morocco UN migration pact was another chance to hear dissenting voices in the Dáil....maybe there were a few, but it seems to always be a few quiet whispers of dissent in that echo chamber.

Why do voters in Ireland continue to vote for Gobdaws ?
Most voters around the World

- vote for Gobdaws!

But people are becoming more and more dissillusioned

- voter turnout in the byes was absolutely pathetic

- the People have given up on the Politicians! :( 🤪o_O

Last edited:

Tadhg Gaelach

Staff member
Donator
Premium
PI Member
Most voters around the World

- vote for Gobdaws!

But people are becoming more and more dissallusioned

- voter turnout in the byes was absolutely pathetic

- the People have given up on the Politicians! :( 🤪o_O
A lot of the problem is that we don't have any organization committed to raising the consciousness of the public. The media is there to keep the Consumer sleep walking, the last thing the bourgeois politicians want is a self aware population, and the Church has just given up - if it ever really tried.

page61

PI Member
Well they are a very troubled family and no son can chose his father or vice versa.
Maybe a little leeway could be shown for them all.
The dad was intimidating the local doctor and fancies himself as a gangster landlord. I think this family who think they are beyond everyone are indicative of all that is wrong in Ireland ..If we cut them any more slack than they have got we might as well aid and abet them

Top Bottom