Welcome to Political Irish

We believe in free legal speech, fair play and good discussion. Sign up and join in!

Register Log in

Why do voters in Ireland continue to vote for Gobdaws ?

This is a serious question. All the other threads on here will dissect the performance of various Politicians, Media luvvies, Movers & Shakers. But surely the Elephant in the room is our voters. Personally i despair at how stagnant, sterile and unchanging our political environment is. The same old parties, same old surnames, same old lack of representing the wishes of Joe Public.

Beyond any doubt, most of our mainstream parties have a tainted reputation, a dodgy track-record and very many failures you can vilify them for. Yet they never disappear. In the UK the Whig party merged into the Liberal Party which itself went through many re-brandings. Across the world you often see a political party fall into disfavour and disappear. The most recent disappearance for us may have been the Progressive Democrats. But otherwise, its business as usual in the Dail while the people on the streets are angry.

Since Haughey i was always believing that our next Taoiseach couldn't be worse. A succession of great disappointments culminating in our current incumbent has proved me wrong. How much worse can this get ?

Of course the Media have a huge part to play in managing the expectations and the mindset of the public. But look at the Trump phenomenon. Using twitter to circumvent his critics and to get his message out there unedited and uncensored. Likewise Brexit was a shock to a complacent and arrogant ruling elite - a reminder of who politicians must listen to to remain in office.

but again and again it comes back to the voters. During Catholic ireland there was no secular voice in the Dáil. When US planes were using Shannon...the polls showed massive public disapproval, but not in the Dáil. During the Celtic Tiger i do not remember many voices telling us to slow down the financial profligacy. The signing of the morocco UN migration pact was another chance to hear dissenting voices in the Dáil....maybe there were a few, but it seems to always be a few quiet whispers of dissent in that echo chamber.

Last edited:

Wolf

PI Member
This is a serious question. All the other threads on here will dissect the performance of various Politicians, Media luvvies, Movers & Shakers. But surely the Elephant in the room is our voters. Personally i despair at how stagnant, sterile and unchanging our political environment is. The same old parties, same old surnames, same old lack of representing the wishes of Joe Public.

Beyond any doubt, most of our mainstream parties have a tainted reputation, a dodgy track-record and very many failures you can vilify them for. Yet they never disappear. In the UK the Whig party merged into the Liberal Party which itself went through many re-brandings. Across the world you often see a political party fall into disfavour and disappear. The most recent for us may have the Progressive Democrats. But otherwise, its business as usual in the Dail while the people on the streets are angry.

Since Haughey i was always believing that our next Taoiseach couldn't be worse. A succession of great disappointments culminating in our current incumbent has proved me wrong. How much worse can this get ?

Of course the Media have a huge part to play in managing the expectations and the mindset of the public. But look at the Trump phenomenon. Using twitter to circumvent his critics and to get his message out there unedited and uncensored. Likewise Brexit was a shock to a complacent and arrogant ruling elite - a reminder of who politicians must listen to to remain in office.

but again and again it comes back to the voters. During Catholic ireland there was no secular voice in the Dáil. When US planes were using Shannon...the polls showed massive public disapproval, but not in the Dáil. During the Celtic Tiger i do not remember many voices telling us to slow down the financial profligacy. The signing of the morocco UN migration pact was another chance to hear dissenting voices in the Dáil....maybe there were a few, but it seems to always be a few quiet whispers of dissent in that echo chamber.

It makes no difference who Paddy votes for.
Ireland is run by the 'permanent government' (civil servants) under instructions from their masters in Brussels.
When will Thick Paddy get this through his thick skull?

I always think voters get let off the hook far too easily in this country. Lets not forget that Fianna Fáil were voted in to office three elections in a row from 97 to 07. And then when the country went bust - which was inevitable -it was all the fault of politicians/bankers. And now Fianna Fáil are ahead in the polls again!

It's time the electorate took some responsibility for the choices they make.

secret hurler

PI Member
then what are you complaining for ??

Ireland is run by the 'permanent government' (civil servants) under instructions from their masters in Brussels.
i dont think you broke the official secrets act there

he knows
and hes happy that there is oversight of those grandsons of gunmen

amsterdemmetje

PI Member
I don't vote for gobdaws. I never vote for anything so you can withdraw that remark against me .

bells of shandon

PI Member
To control the voting patterns of a population ,it is only necessary to control the information fed to the Public.
The Irish Media, especially the State Channel RTE is staffed by people who are dependent on the FG/FF regime for their affluent lifestyles. These favours are returned by manipulating the perception of the public as to the performance of the entrenched Govt.
No criticism of Govt policy is allowed and exclusion of dissident opinions is filtered out and access denied to dissident commentators.
This is evident from the promotion of the Human Trafficking Mass Migration , Direct Provision policy.
There has been a blanket shutdown of news of these Planting policies of Illegal Migrants on the little villages and towns of rural Ireland.
Words are twisted, illegal Welfare tourists , become refugees to deceive the Public. Objectors to this tyranny are labeled as Far Right. This is how Propaganda works to further an agenda.
The Irish Voter is being lied to, deceived ,manipulated and victimised. Most are unaware of this manipulation of perception.
Professional propagandists are at work to further these Govt agendas.
We ,who are awake, must counter attack, against this pernicious influence to avoid the destruction of our Homeland.

Last edited:

Milominderbender

PI Member
I always think voters get let off the hook far too easily in this country. Lets not forget that Fianna Fáil were voted in to office three elections in a row from 97 to 07. And then when the country went bust - which was inevitable -it was all the fault of politicians/bankers. And now Fianna Fáil are ahead in the polls again!

It's time the electorate took some responsibility for the choices they make.
If this was a normal country Fianna Fail would no longer exist after their bankrupting of the country. The only purpose of "Fianna Fail" would be to serve as a henious insult to someone, the equivalent of the word Quisling to Norwegians.

Milominderbender

PI Member

Beyond any doubt, most of our mainstream parties have a tainted reputation, a dodgy track-record and very many failures you can vilify them for. Yet they never disappear. In the UK the Whig party merged into the Liberal Party which itself went through many re-brandings. Across the world you often see a political party fall into disfavour and disappear. The most recent disappearance for us may have been the Progressive Democrats. But otherwise, its business as usual in the Dail while the people on the streets are angry.

The mass exodus of young people through emigration has meant that there has been few political consequences for repeatedly crashing the economy. It's also caused a ruinous brain drain that continues to this day.

DS86DS

Staff member
Donator
PI Member
Premium
The amount of times you use terms like 'paddy' and 'thick paddies' in your posts would make even the likes of Bernard Manning and Jim Davidson blush.

gerhard dengler

PI Member
Premium
The fact that FF and FG are in coalition now suggests that voting patterns have changed. Neither party needed the other for office before.

Single party government in this country is dead for the foreseeable future.

I suppose in many cases voters vote for the least worst option. The danger with this option is that political calcification takes hold. Which it has.

"Radical" political policies for whatever reason don't gain traction/support.

FF and FG are regarded as the least worst option.

A party/movement needs to be created which replaces them as the least worst option

Top Bottom