Why did the British leave in 1921?

Threads
Why did the British leave Southern Ireland in 1921?

Why did they not just crush the IRA?

The thing about insurgencies and rebellions is (generally and statistically speaking) they have to win in the first few years, If they drag on the state
invariable wins or there is political settlement that favors the state.

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator
Premium Account
PI Member
Threads
Basically, the English ruling class came to understand that the free staters would run the 26 counties for them with no real change. That happened in a lot of their other colonies too.

Anderson

Take the red pill
Donator
PI Member
Political Irish
Threads
I believe it was World War 1, it just got in the way for the original crushing, after that I think they just had enough of us.

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator
Premium Account
PI Member
Threads
I believe it was World War 1, it just got in the way for the original crushing, after that I think they just had enough of us.

Don't think so a chara. WW1 actually made it easier to respond with military brutality. Without WW1, there wouldn't have been a ready supply of mercenaries to form the Black and Tans and the Auxiliaries.

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator
Premium Account
PI Member
Threads
By 1920, the Brits had trained native comprador elites all over the empire. Handing over to them made sense. Instead of having the British Army putting down native rebels, you'd leave it to compradors like the free staters to do it for you. Meanwhile, the wealth of the colony continued to flow to the City of London, as if nothing had happened. All in all, it was a much cheaper way to do things.

Rommel

PI Member
Threads
Native peoples around the world had been using hit and run tactics against Brit invaders for centuries.
The Irish perfected it and were far more efficient and savage than the usual locals armed with spears and knives which the British had to deal in the uprising out in the colonies.

OP
OP
johnhan279
Threads

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator
Premium Account
PI Member
Threads
The Irish perfected it and were far more efficient and savage than the usual locals armed with spears and knives which the British had to deal in the uprising out in the colonies.

Actually, the Colonists in the Americas used guerilla warfare against the English forces much more effectively than the IRA did - and they won, unlike the IRA.

Top Bottom