Political Irish | The Irish Politics & Current Affairs Website

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Before posting anything about the COVID-19 virus, please read this first Click Here

Video Why Did Jesus Have to Die on the Cross?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2643
  • Start date

Tuco Salamanca

PI Member

"To be fair", it is wikipedia so I wouldn't draw a conclusion from it, buuuuuuttttt, Ehrman states that Carrier is one of only two Historians who argues against the existence of Jesus. A cursory look at Ehrman's blog suggests that Ehrman at any rate thinks that Carrier is talking through his hoop.

gerhard dengler

PI Member
I read an interesting article on antiquity and on the manuscripts of the gospels.

Dating from AD33 to AD200, over 5,000 manuscripts of the gospel and other books of the New Testament have been located since.

These 5000 manuscripts were found in locations as diverse as Palestine, Iraq, Turkey, Greece, Macedonia, Italy, Malta, Cyprus, Lebanon, Syria.

All of the parchments conform to 98% with each other.

Scholars know of no other level of conformity, spread across a vast location, for manuscripts written during that period.

Tuco Salamanca

PI Member
A customer review of Carrier's book:

The historicity of Jesus is a touchy subject. Talk about it on social media and you're sure to attract both historicists and mythicists with strong views. New Testament scholars who dissent from the consensus suddenly find they're unemployable in university religious studies departments, ridiculed online and occasionally by NT scholars who hold the line.

I stumbled into this topic during a period of binge-watching YouTube videos featuring NT scholar Bart Ehrman, a former fundamentalist Christian whose studies eventually turned him into an agnostic atheist. In one of these, Ehrman referred to a 'fringe' view among some that Jesus never existed, and quickly dismissed it.

"Like many Christians, my first reaction was amazed disbelief that such a wackadoodle theory could be taken seriously. I watched some videos online and some debates.

I occasionally fact-checked the refutations and found that in fact, opponents of Richard Carrier often misrepresented or got their facts wrong. The Trent Horn debate in particular amazed me because Horn insisted that something was written in a text, but when I checked, it wasn't. (Horn claimed that the Life of Adam showed Adam being buried on Earth, Carrier said the text has him buried in the third heaven. Both were insistent, because a lot hangs on it, believe it or not. I checked. Carrier was right.)

Wow - what was going on? How could something I had believed all my life to be a historic fact by a myth? Why couldn't any of these experts demolish Carrier's argument, as I'd expected them to do?

So - I read it for myself. Slowly and carefully, often looking up the footnote references. Every serious argument from scriptures (e.g. Acts, Gospels, Epistles) and from the historical record (Josephus, Tacitus etc) is examined, dissected and evaluated according to Bayes theorem, using the following method:
- how likely is it that this text would look like this if Jesus was a historical figure?
against
- how likely is it that this text would look like this if Jesus began as a myth?

The chapter on the evidence from the gospels is particularly fascinating - a summary of recent scholarship that shows the brilliance of the four evangelists as myth-creators and propagandists.

In the end I was convinced - on the historicity of Jesus, there is indeed reason to doubt."

Eriugena

PI Member
That looks like a review by the author or one of his friends.

Eriugena

PI Member
They must have been very busy.

311 ratings, overwhelmingly positive.
I was referring to your quoted review.

"Wow - what was going on?"
"So - I read it for myself."
"In the end I was convinced."

This sounds like the sales pitch on one of those late night advertising channels that used to be (still?) on TV.

k3rd4s1 4m4q

PI Member
Beyond the empty futile insults you throw around here, can you back any of this up with an actual argument?

Otherwise we'll consider it your opinion, and ignore it.
I've told you all you have to know about Richard Carrier; if you're unable to perceive him as the charlatan he is; that is your lookout.

Tuco Salamanca

PI Member
I've told you all you have to know about Richard Carrier; if you're unable to perceive him as the charlatan he is; that is your lookout.

Point out why he's a charlatan?
Provide a point by point refutation of his thesis or STFU.

And why would you care? I thought you were one of these sh1te.. I mean 'white nationalist' types who despises Christianity? Didn't you used to refer to Jesus as "Jewsus" over on P.ie?

k3rd4s1 4m4q

PI Member
Point out why he's a charlatan?
Provide a point by point refutation of his thesis or STFU.

And why would you care? I thought you were one of these sh1te.. I mean 'white nationalist' types who despises Christianity? Didn't you used to refer to Jesus as "Jewsus" over on P.ie?
His own work refutes itself.

No, and no. I never refer to Jesus as Jewsus, unless I'm mocking or satirising someone else's position.

Tuco Salamanca

PI Member
An excellent presentation that points out the similarities of Christianity with the Mediterranean mystery religions of the era.

Top Bottom