Why are the Irish so Damn slow at counting elections?

Anderson

Take the red pill
Staff member
PI Member
Premium
Why is Ireland lagging behind the rest of Europe when it comes to elections?

Within 2 -3 hours last night the UK had counted 95% of their Euro elections results with only Northern Ireland and the Western Isles lagging behind.

Despite holding our vote on Friday we are still counting local elections and as of yet not declared 1 MEP in any constituency.

The longer our votes are delayed the more open they are to voting fraud, manipulation, and embarrassments on a national scale.

If the rest of Europe can count millions of votes in a matter of a few hours, why is it in Ireland we count a few thousand votes over a matter of days in some of our regional count centers?

Something must be done, this is pathetic.

Kershaw

Donator
PI Member
Why is Ireland lagging behind the rest of Europe when it comes to elections?

Within 2 -3 hours last night the UK had counted 95% of their Euro elections results with only Northern Ireland and the Western Isles lagging behind.

Despite holding our vote on Friday we are still counting local elections and as of yet not declared 1 MEP in any constituency.

The longer our votes are delayed the more open they are to voting fraud, manipulation, and embarrassments on a national scale.

If the rest of Europe can count millions of votes in a matter of a few hours, why is it in Ireland we count a few thousand votes over a matter of days in some of our regional count centers?

Something must be done, this is pathetic.
We use the PRSTV system which takes multiple counts.
The UK uses FPTP which takes one count.
PRSTV is the fairest system of voting in the world so just be grateful.
The dirt have twice tried to rid us of it but failed.
It also takes a while so need to run down Paddy unnecessarily.

Tadhg Ó Raghallaigh

Donator
PI Member
We use the PRSTV system which takes multiple counts. PRSTV is the fairest system of voting in the world so just be grateful.
Although Germany elects its EP reps solely through proportional representation, she elects federal, state and municipal reps by a 50%-direct and 50%-proportional vote. It seems to work well and foster political stability. Multiple recounts seem to be a potential destabilizing factor, or am I off the mark here?

Kershaw

Donator
PI Member
Although Germany elects its EP reps solely through proportional representation, she elects federal, state and municipal reps by a 50%-direct and 50%-proportional vote. It seems to work well and foster political stability. Multiple recounts seem to be a potential destabilizing factor, or am I off the mark here?
Why would it be destabilising? People get knocked out so their ballots are inspected as to where the number 2s went. Then they are added to the totals of the remaining candidates. If your number 2 is knocked out, your number 3 is inspected. There's a lot more to it that that.
Yeah, takes a few days but at the end of the day, it's the only election system that best represents the voting preferences of the electorate.
You don't get into a situation where you can't vote for your preferred candidate because then your least favourite candidate could get in. You vote for who you want in order of preference. You can block your least favourite candidate by putting them last and your intention is reflected.

Kershaw

Donator
PI Member
In close elections, I can well imagine that the longer the duration of the counts, the more folks get hot under the collar.
let them have a drink of water.
A Scottish mathematician searching for the fairest voting system which would best accurately reflect the desires of the electorate invented PRSTV.
Brits brought it to Ireland because they wanted their minority prods to have the best chance of representation.
Didn't use it themselves though as it would have hurt the establishment parties.

P

Piposter

Non Registered Member
I like you Irish boyz, you waz always up for a larf, but you is a bit slow coz u avent stuffed it to the native west brits what haz been ruinin ur counry since the Gaels lost the civil war and the pro-treaty cretins won. Innit. You need to stick it too them cnuts, and stick it to them quick, or else nobody will bovver wiv yous anymore. Innit.

Tadhg Ó Raghallaigh

Donator
PI Member
A Scottish mathematician searching for the fairest voting system which would best accurately reflect the desires of the electorate invented PRSTV.
I think that's highly subjective, but I'll leave you to it. I know that first-past-the-post is least fair, but since we're doomed anyway, I'm going to go clean my guns.

Top Bottom