What's the Story? - Johhny Ronan wants to inflict this eyesore on Dublin's Fair City-can we stop him?

Catalpa

PI Member
If JR has his way this Concrete Carbuncle will be inflicted on the Dublin's citizens in the not too distant future by one of Ireland's finest developers

Developer Johnny Ronan is pinning his hopes on new draft guidelines on building heights and residential densities, along with a scaled back proposal, to help secure the green light for what would be Dublin's tallest building.

In March, Mr Ronan was refused planning permission for the 88m, 22-storey high tower at Tara Street.

That was last 11 September

But now I read Mr Ronan has managed to convince AN BORD PLEANÁLA to let him go ahead with this carbuncle in the heart of the Fair City...

AN BORD PLEANÁLA has granted permission for the construction of a 22-storey building in Dublin’s city centre, in a landmark ruling that paves the way for the high-rise building on the banks of the Liffey.

Company Tanat Ltd, run by high-profile Celtic Tiger developer Johnny Ronan, first applied for planning permission for the building back in 2017 but faced a series of knockbacks from Dublin City Council and An Bord Pleanála.

Following another appeal, An Bord Pleanála decided this week to grant permission for the development with a number of conditions.

An Taisce had lodged objections to the plan, and has said that the granting of permission is a “catastrophic error”, which will cause “irrevocable damage” to the city’s character.

Last edited:

McTell

PI Member
An Taisce had lodged objections to the plan, and has said that the granting of permission is a “catastrophic error”, which will cause “irrevocable damage” to the city’s character.

What, because it will make it more of a city? And less of a sprawling village with 2 or 3 hi-rises?

I don't mind it, I do mind that traffic and parking in that neck of the woods will get worse. Anyhows, when it is finished we'll be in the next recession, and can buy it off him for €77.

blue velvet

Donator
I just read the ST article. And it seems that the utterly useless Eoghan Murphy was the man who did away with the height restrictions on development in Dublin City Centre.

You think of the rape of Dublin's Georgian heritage that went on in the '60s and '70s under FF idiots like Niall Blaney and Kevin Boland and here's this posh FG tosser doing exactly the same thing.

George Dillon

PI Member
What, because it will make it more of a city? And less of a sprawling village with 2 or 3 hi-rises?

I don't mind it, I do mind that traffic and parking in that neck of the woods will get worse. Anyhows, when it is finished we'll be in the next recession, and can buy it off him for €77.
Pretty inane definition of a city--it must have skyscrapers in the city centre.
Sounds like you haven't travelled much. Try Madrid, Paris, New Orleans, Charleston SC.

McTell

PI Member
Pretty inane definition of a city--it must have skyscrapers in the city centre.
Sounds like you haven't travelled much. Try Madrid, Paris, New Orleans, Charleston SC.
I'd prefer them along the M50 so we could all get to them quicker.

After all, the city centre will be flooded in a few years, and the next generation will be built along the new shoreline, which will be more or less the M50.

@graceland.com

Donator
PI Member
I'd prefer them along the M50 so we could all get to them quicker.

After all, the city centre will be flooded in a few years, and the next generation will be built along the new shoreline, which will be more or less the M50.
You could not dump this piece of profit driven starchitecture into a historically low streetscape unless you are blind
all this will do is encourage more destruction of the historic fabric of the city in order to shovel as many units as possible into the tiniest footprints in the city centre with not a thought for the consequences ,

McTell

PI Member
You could not dump this piece of profit driven starchitecture into a historically low streetscape unless you are blind
all this will do is encourage more destruction of the historic fabric of the city in order to shovel as many units as possible into the tiniest footprints in the city centre with not a thought for the consequences ,

It would look better in a "plaza". Dublin doesnt do plazas, as the college green proposal shows us.

That's why the M50 should be hi-rise, with plenty of space for plazas.

Last edited:
OP
Catalpa

Catalpa

PI Member

Its a horrible looking Thing!:teeth:

The building that is....:cool:

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator
That's certainly an ugly and tasteless thing - typical Irish "development." But, I do think there should be high rises in some parts of Dublin. Down at Dublin Port for example, and I'd build higher around Heuston Station and that area. Of course, if we got control of our borders back there wouldn't be such a pressing need.

Atlantean Irish

PI Member
Johnny Fat-cat" Ronan is "best buds" with OpenBorders actor Liam Cunningham.
They were spotted in the pub opposite RDS - Johnny shouting LIAMO when he arrived.
A trio of them then proceeded to bromance it up in the pub.
Liamo "OpenBorders Humanitarian" Cunningham......hob-nobbing with the privileged who make a killing from open borders.
When this was exposed, Liamo blocked.

Top Bottom