What's REALLY going on in Hong Kong

Anglophile

PI Member
When the British took over Hong Kong, it was an obscure island fishing village.

When they left - it was one of the world's economic powerhouses......🇬🇧(y)

Dublin Stan

PI Member
Has Hazel Chu said anything or is she too busy leading Google mobs ? Are our HK residents doing a Noraid and sending weapons back to the Old Sod?

DrPat2

PI Member
When the British took over Hong Kong, it was an obscure island fishing village.

When they left - it was one of the world's economic powerhouses......🇬🇧(y)
True but the Brits certainly didnt give one person one vote to the inhabitants when it was a colonial possession. There was a very limited franchise although Patten did loosen the reins a little as he came to identify with Hong Kong people but he sailed out on 30th June 1997 and the Hong Kong Chinese were left to their fate.

Last edited:

darkhorse3

PI Member
True but the Brits certainly didnt give one person one vote to the inhabitants when it was a colonial possession. There was a very limited franchise although Patten did loosen the reins a little as he came to identify with Hong Kong people but he sailed out on 30th June 1997 and the Hong Kong Chinese were left to their fate.
There is no doubt that HK'ers are being wound up by British instigators
They are part of China now so they better accept it before it gets worse

DrPat2

PI Member
There is no doubt that HK'ers are being wound up by British instigators
They are part of China now so they better accept it before it gets worse
What evidence do you have for that? Why would the Brits want to stir up trouble with China? They need all the chance they can get to trade and export their goods , especially with Brexit on the horizon.

The eejits that hung up the old Brit colonial flag of the Territory were more silly youngsters than anything else.

There is a huge democratic movement in Hong Kong and it was there before the Brits left in 1997 and China has always been uncomfortable with it.

darkhorse3

PI Member

DrPat2

PI Member
But what is their interest in doing so? What benefit is to the Brits in the short or long term.

Let me say I am no defender of the British Government and their behaviour in the past in China but it is a party to the Agreement with China about HK and by putting a word in now, while China mightn't like it it, reminds the Chinese government that the eyes of the world are on what is happening there.

What happened in Tianamen in 1989 is still very much in the minds of Hong Kong Chinese and for them to protest even with the knowledge of what happened there speaks of something far more profound in the body politic of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region.

Someone needs to mediate between the territory's government and the prodemocracy movement to avoid a tragedy, imo.

Dublin Stan

PI Member
Let me say I am no defender of the British Government and their behaviour in the past in China but
The Brits and the West Brits do exactly what the USA tell them to do. This colour coded crap in HK is a rerun of Ukraine, Arab Spring etc. Ireland's role should be to send Hazel Chu and her family over on one way tickets to broker peace. Then we should take a very close look at our own Chinese and West Brit trouble makers.

darkhorse3

PI Member
But what is their interest in doing so? What benefit is to the Brits in the short or long term.

Let me say I am no defender of the British Government and their behaviour in the past in China but it is a party to the Agreement with China about HK and by putting a word in now, while China mightn't like it it, reminds the Chinese government that the eyes of the world are on what is happening there.

What happened in Tianamen in 1989 is still very much in the minds of Hong Kong Chinese and for them to protest even with the knowledge of what happened there speaks of something far more profound in the body politic of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region.

Someone needs to mediate between the territory's government and the prodemocracy movement to avoid a tragedy, imo.
Well, Raab is a complete idiot for a start and possibly looking for favour in Trump's America
But China is a country of 56 ethnic groups
Democracy is not going to work there - without massive civil war and huge upheaval
So HK is going to have to get used to it
They didnt have much rights under the Brits anyway

Karloff

PI Member
Free

West Papua, Palestine, Kashmir, Hong Kong, Tibet, Amazon, Northern Ireland, Chagos Islands, Bahrain, Yemen, Golan

And effectively free (because they are now in chains too) Iran and Venezuela.

DrPat2

PI Member
The Brits and the West Brits do exactly what the USA tell them to do. This colour coded crap in HK is a rerun of Ukraine, Arab Spring etc. Ireland's role should be to send Hazel Chu and her family over on one way tickets to broker peace. Then we should take a very close look at our own Chinese and West Brit trouble makers.
The Brits might well do so but to what end does it serve American interests to stir up trouble there? Hong Kong doesnt have oil, is not a threat to US interests, or to Israel. If it is to embarrass China, what interest of American neocons is there? Admittedly HK is a service provider to southern China and the Chinese government use the territory as a place for IPOs etc and finance but Shanghai is also available to them. Additionally, the Americans have a huge interest in two way trade with the PRC.

As for Chu, she is an Irish citizen, born here with a family here. I dont think you can strip her of her passport and nationality, even if she is a globalist.

DrPat2

PI Member
Well, Raab is a complete idiot for a start and possibly looking for favour in Trump's America
But China is a country of 56 ethnic groups
Democracy is not going to work there - without massive civil war and huge upheaval
So HK is going to have to get used to it
They didnt have much rights under the Brits anyway
When the exception of Mr Raab's mental state of which I am unaware, I accept that there is some merit in the rest of your post but Hong Kong is supposed to be guaranteed a high degree of autonomy under the Sino-British Declaration until 2047.

Top Bottom