Poll What your favorite Beatles Album and why

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator
PI Member
Premium Account
I don't know, man... Elvis, Dylan, The Beatles... I reckon they've all stood up pretty well over the years. I'd be a Dylan/Beatles man myself, impossible to pick between them really.

Maybe I'm just biased. I'm more of an Elvis man - particularly the 69 -74 period.

Ire-land

Donator
PI Member
Premium Account
Maybe I'm just biased. I'm more of an Elvis man - particularly the 69 -74 period.
To be honest, Elvis was a sort of a concept to me until I saw his comeback special for the first time back in the day, and it fairly blew me away- it was the first time I saw him as a proper musician/singer. I was young in my defence, so maybe I should've known, but alas.

I spent about a month in Memphis in the early 2000s, and me and a good friend of mine did the Graceland tour- yeah, tourist stuff no doubt, but it genuinely blew me away. They had all of his books in glass cases opened on different pages, and he had all these notes in the margins, and lines underlines all over the place, all sorts of philosophical and spiritual books, similar to the sort of things I was digging through at the time. And it just struck me how much of a real searcher he was, a person who was totally unsure of what was going on but was desperate to understand it all.

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator
PI Member
Premium Account
To be honest, Elvis was a sort of a concept to me until I saw his comeback special for the first time back in the day, and it fairly blew me away- it was the first time I saw him as a proper musician/singer. I was young in my defence, so maybe I should've known, but alas.

I spent about a month in Memphis in the early 2000s, and me and a good friend of mine did the Graceland tour- yeah, tourist stuff no doubt, but it genuinely blew me away. They had all of his books in glass cases opened on different pages, and he had all these notes in the margins, and lines underlines all over the place, all sorts of philosophical and spiritual books, similar to the sort of things I was digging through at the time. And it just struck me how much of a real searcher he was, a person who was totally unsure of what was going on but was desperate to understand it all.

That must have been amazing, I'd love to do that. Yes, it was really only in the last years that he really flourished as a musical talent. He had an incredible talent to hear something in a song that even its writer couldn't hear. Listen to the difference between the original Suspicious Minds - a very good song but wasn't a hit - and the Elvis version which was a worldwide Number One.

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator
PI Member
Premium Account
And look what Elvis does with these Dylan classics,

Dylan actually said this was his favourite cover of any of his songs,

Plasticpaddy

PI Member
The Beatles were the closest thing to perfection,magical ingredients we will never see again.My first ever album was Sgt.Pepper I've still got it,with all the cutouts and it's in mono.This is still my favourite,a world changing seminal album.Of course so many of their tracks like Tomorrow Never Knows e.g. were brilliant too.They were big fans of the Beach Boys and Dylan and of course rock n roll like Elvis,and Little Richard and many more.

page61

PI Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm kind of the same. I don't think the Beatles have stood the test of time the way say Dylan or Elvis have, but Revolver is certainly a spectacular production. I'd definitely go for their later stuff though. Abbey Road is good driving music.
3 great original artists .
Im an early Elvis fan , i think he turned into a Neil diamond figure in the 70s , Bob is just a great songwriter , end of. But the beatles are the only group i learn something from every-time i listen and ive been listening for years.

Why do you think they have not stood the test of time out of curiosity ..I think of all the above and more they are as relevant today and as fresh

page61

PI Member
The Beatles were the closest thing to perfection,magical ingredients we will never see again.My first ever album was Sgt.Pepper I've still got it,with all the cutouts and it's in mono.This is still my favourite,a world changing seminal album.Of course so many of their tracks like Tomorrow Never Knows e.g. were brilliant too.They were big fans of the Beach Boys and Dylan and of course rock n roll like Elvis,and Little Richard and many more.
Mono is great

page61

PI Member
And look what Elvis does with these Dylan classics,

Dylan actually said this was his favourite cover of any of his songs,

Do you mean in a bad way ? (im not been smart) its very MOR

Ire-land

Donator
PI Member
Premium Account
That must have been amazing, I'd love to do that. Yes, it was really only in the last years that he really flourished as a musical talent. He had an incredible talent to hear something in a song that even its writer couldn't hear. Listen to the difference between the original Suspicious Minds - a very good song but wasn't a hit - and the Elvis version which was a worldwide Number One.

Man, hopefully you make it at some stage, I think you'd get a lot out of it. It's very touristy in fairness, and a bit cheesy, but I didn't at all expect to be as moved as I was, especially by his books as I was saying. The funny thing was how small be must've been, they had some of his outfits on display and I couldn't believe how tiny they looked- I think it's easy to add a sense of physicality to someone of that reputation.

That suspicious minds is his song alright, it's perfect. The Dylan stuff I'd probably have to stick with the originals myself, especially Tomorrow is a Long time, as that's actually one of my all time favourite songs.

Ire-land

Donator
PI Member
Premium Account
3 great original artists .
Im an early Elvis fan , i think he turned into a Neil diamond figure in the 70s , Bob is just a great songwriter , end of. But the beatles are the only group i learn something from every-time i listen and ive been listening for years.

Why do you think they have not stood the test of time out of curiosity ..I think of all the above and more they are as relevant today and as fresh
I'd say a lot of the Beatles stuff could be released today and be just as fresh- it's trite to say, but they were so far ahead of their time it's ridiculous. Helter Skelter for example, it would the best song across multiple genres too.

Top Bottom