• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

What makes someone Left or Right in your opinion?

My better half believes that you can define someone as having a fundamentally Right or Left mentality by whether they prefer Mozart to Beethoven or visa versa?

People who prefer Mozart being of the Right and those who prefer Beethoven being on the Left.

He prefers Mozart and I Beethoven.

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator
Premium Account
I can see where he's coming from. Beethoven was as Left as you got in the early 19th century. That said, Mozart was involved with the Free Masons, who had an anti-aristocratic doctrine that all men should be equal before the law. Operas like the Abduction from the Seraglio and the Marriage of Figaro very much propound the doctrine of human equality. Not sure if Don Giovanni is a right wing affirmation of Patriarchy, or a celebration of the Liberal spirit (which Mozart seems to accept can go nowhere but hell - though heroically clinging to the Pleasure Principal to the bitter end).

OP
OP
SwordOfStCatherine
I can see where he's coming from. Beethoven was as Left as you got in the early 19th century. That said, Mozart was involved with the Free Masons, who had an anti-aristocratic doctrine that all men should be equal before the law. Operas like the Abduction from the Seraglio and the Marriage of Figaro very much propound the doctrine of human equality. Not sure if Don Giovanni is a right wing affirmation of Patriarchy, or a celebration of the Liberal spirit (which Mozart seems to accept can go nowhere but hell - though heroically clinging to the Pleasure Principal to the bitter end).
Well he was thinking of more the Symphonies and Chamber Music of Mozart- and the mentality that finds affinity with them. People on these Isles dont seem very into Opera in general though I would really love for someone to do a Wagnerian treatment of the Tain.

I have to say that I adore Mozart's Sacred Music in particular the Requiem and Coronation Masses.

Have you ever heard his specifically Freemasonic music? It is artistically brilliant but incredibly dark.

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator
Premium Account
Well he was thinking of more the Symphonies and Chamber Music of Mozart- and the mentality that finds affinity with them. People on these Isles dont seem very into Opera in general though I would really love for someone to do a Wagnerian treatment of the Tain.

I have to say that I adore Mozart's Sacred Music in particular the Requiem and Coronation Masses.

Have you ever heard his specifically Freemasonic music? It is artistically brilliant but incredibly dark.

No, I never knew he did any specifically Free Mason music. Which pieces are they?

As for the the chamber music, again I would say your husband has a point. They come from a highly mathematical mind and such minds tend to be right wing - mostly because they have difficulty dealing with other human beings and they find the collective demands made on them to be incomprehensible - it's a kind of autism. Beethoven, like Einstein, was not overly mathematical. He had big ideas and tended to avoid getting bogged down in the mathematical minutia. I saw an interview with Leonard Bernstein where he said that a conductor has to more or less rework every Beethoven piece, as he didn't pay too much attention to the minor detail. Mozart, in contrast, reveled in the detail.

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator
Premium Account
But, again, the terms Left and Right are misleading. Beethoven, for example, was much more what we would called Socially Conservative. He hated any kind of immorality and didn't use profane language. Mozart had a mouth like a sewer, and is said to have indulged his senses to the full. But, there again, you often have this asceticism among Communists, while the Right Wingers indulge in prostitutes, heavy drinking, gambling, etc.

OP
OP
SwordOfStCatherine
But, again, the terms Left and Right are misleading. Beethoven, for example, was much more what we would called Socially Conservative. He hated any kind of immorality and didn't use profane language. Mozart had a mouth like a sewer, and is said to have indulged his senses to the full. But, there again, you often have this asceticism among Communists, while the Right Wingers indulge in prostitutes, heavy drinking, gambling, etc.
Indeed one only has to think of David Cameron and his combining of necrophilia with beastiality while out of it on cocaine infront of his mates at a party.

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator
Premium Account
Indeed one only has to think of David Cameron and his combining of necrophilia with beastiality while out of it on cocaine infront of his mates at a party.

Yes, Cameron and Hillary Clinton would be an exceptional pair of villains to rule over us.

That music is terrific, I hadn't heard it before. One can already hear the 20th century there.

Art

Donator
Premium Account
I don't think right and left has much meaning anymore in modern western politics. The gaps between the policies of the main parties are so thin you would struggle to slide a piece of tissue paper between them. At this point anyone who proposes cutting the old age pension by 50 cents a week would be classified as far right, and anyone who wanted to increase the old age pension by 50 cents a week would be certified as a loony lefty.

The days of radical change are over, at least for the foreseeable future.

Sinbad

They call me a God
Donator
Premium Account
Reminds me of the saying, if you hang to the Left you are straight, if you hang to the right you are gay.