What is the greatest piece of Music ever?

D

Deleted member 863

Non Registered Member
Thanks for the link to that story. I’m amazed. I always took that to be the voice of a black girl. Gut wrenching emotion in her vocals.
Turns out she's a schooled professional who worked sessions in studios for most of her career.

But that surely had to have been one of the most bizarre session calls for anyone ever:

'What do you want me to do?'

We don't know.

'Is anything written?'

No.

'Am I creating a melody or a harmony?'

No idea yet.

'Err, okay - I'll just go in and do whatever comes to mind'

Okay.

'Tape!'

That sounded great - can we have one more take?

'Err, okay - want me to change anything?'

Don't know.

'Errr, okay - roll tape'

That sounds even better - how about one more?

'Errr, nah - I don't think I can take the idea any further'

Okay - thanks.

'Okay.'

Bye-bye.

In the artist's world - pressure, insecurity, stepping into the void, and pure improvisation that comes from the heart are the necessary mothers of invention. For any artist who steps up to create an improvised and unscripted piece, they have to reach deep into their own soul to find something that's never been done, never been considered, and likely won't ever be mimicked or copied to the same degree of value. That kind of innovation comes only occasionally in any artists career, unless of course one turns to formulaic musical arrangements, where a simple structural model is used repeatedly to create pop formula songs: Bands like The Beatles were masters of the formula. But bands like Pink Floyd detested the formulaic approach and completely dismissed it after Syd Barret went to the great gig in the sky.

The one female solo I think matches that is the part in the Rolling Stones “Gimme shelter”, I’ll link it if I can find it. I read someplace that the singer who did it (a black girl) was called up in much the same way, unexpectedly. She was pregnant at the time apparently, and after leaving the studio she had a miscarriage.
The lady you're referring to is Lisa Fischer, an extraordinary voice from Brooklyn, New York.

She worked as a backing vocalist for many projects over the decades as well as releasing some singles and an album of her own. A Grammy award winner, she shuns the limelight and prefers the role of foil and sidekick, hence her featuring in the documentary 'Twenty Feet From Fame' in which she describes her life as a professional musician who got so near to fame but never grasped it in her own hands, at least not on the scale she might have done were she a pop artist, which she really isn't.

What an amazing pair of lungs, what a presence, what a beauty when she was younger, and what a performer.

Here she is on the closing track of the final set before encore on NIN's 'Tension' tour from 2013 at The Staples Center, Los Angeles. The thing I particularly enjoy about this discordant and bleak track is how she steps up to take her turn and has to improvise something enormous in order to end the song and the show with a bang. So basically, she mimics the vocal work on Floyd's 'The Great Gig In The Sky' and does her own special thing with it. It's quite something.

Video clock starts on selected song featuring Lisa Fischer.

NINE INCH NAILS:

TENSION 2013:
Alessandro Cortini, -
keyboards/guitars/sequencers/samplers
Joshua Eustis, - keyboards/bass sax/Chapman Stick/Guitars
Robin Finck, - Guitars/Keyboards/Backing Vocals
Lisa Fischer, - Backing Vocals
Sharlotte Gibson, - Backing Vocals
Pino Palladino, - Bass/Fretless Bass
Ilan Rubin - Drums/Percussion

Trent Reznor - everything else.

Regarding her miscarriage? I'm not so sure: can you link to a source for us? I was under the impression that Lisa was more physically disposed towards the ladies than the boys - which kind of makes sense when you see her teaching Jagger how to wrestle and audience into first submission, and then into passion.

But I'm open to correction.

BURNOUT

PI Member
Same great song two different singers.

Original - 1968 Edda Dell'orso.

Patricia Janeckova - 2012

Yonghoi

PI Member
Regarding her miscarriage? I'm not so sure: can you link to a source for us? I was under the impression that Lisa was more physically disposed towards the ladies than the boys - which kind of makes sense when you see her teaching Jagger how to wrestle and audience into first submission, and then into passion.

But I'm open to correction.
I had to wrack my brains for that, then I remembered I listened to it on Spotify months ago and the 'Genius' function started showing background info about her solo. It included the assertion that she had the miscarriage after that late night recording session. Don't know if they got it right or not, but one other interesting snippet from the story was where Genius points out an almost inaudible 'whoop' which it says is Keef Richards reaction to her hitting one of those notes so high her voice just cracks. Listen carefully and sure enough you can hear it!

PS: Many many moons ago I went to see 'The Australian Pink Floyd' in The Point. They were excellent - next best thing to the real thing. They did a great version of The Great Gig In The Sky', including the solo vocal. It was pretty authentic IIRC.

D

Deleted member 2531

Non Registered Member
This is not the best piece of music ever, but certainly a nostalgic piece for anyone who attended Feile or was a teenager in the nineties in Ireland.

The Field Marshal

PI Member
it might have been a good idea to suggest a category..here is my pop category

The music is ok but
BOO
FAKE NEWS
Thats not the beatles singing and some of the tracks are from Sgt Pepper.

Some bad angel dudes are wee weeing into your computer

FairstoodtheWind

PI Member
An English tune I know, but I still think its great.

Top Bottom