Premium Account
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tadhg Gaelach

Staff member
Donator
PI Member
Premium Account

"And this holds for all types of human labour\activity. If we are not in the process of self actualisation in our everyday lives, then we are becoming alienated from ourselves, and becoming a pawn in someone else's game."
This is an interesting post. Before I continue, I should clarify one thing: the point I am going to make does not necessarily apply to every single person. I appreciate that capitalism has found itself able to degrade people through the medium of labour.
What I will say though is that your statement, quoted, is not applicable to everybody either. What of those who are able to enjoy their work, self-actualise, and live a good life? Those who are as in control of their work as they can be - this accounts for interactions with customers, the demands that exchanges can place upon the worker, and so forth, which are always natural occurrences - will tend to be able to self-actualise as well, will they not? For example, I already know where I plan to head in life; if I make it there, I'll own my own capital, tools, property, land, and so forth, and so I will be self-actualised, yet I will also be working.​

Tadhg Gaelach

Staff member
Donator
PI Member
Premium Account
"And this holds for all types of human labour\activity. If we are not in the process of self actualisation in our everyday lives, then we are becoming alienated from ourselves, and becoming a pawn in someone else's game."
This is an interesting post. Before I continue, I should clarify one thing: the point I am going to make does not necessarily apply to every single person. I appreciate that capitalism has found itself able to degrade people through the medium of labour.
What I will say though is that your statement, quoted, is not applicable to everybody either. What of those who are able to enjoy their work, self-actualise, and live a good life? Those who are as in control of their work as they can be - this accounts for interactions with customers, the demands that exchanges can place upon the worker, and so forth, which are always natural occurrences - will tend to be able to self-actualise as well, will they not? For example, I already know where I plan to head in life; if I make it there, I'll own my own capital, tools, property, land, and so forth, and so I will be self-actualised, yet I will also be working.​
I'm not suggesting that everyone in the Capitalist system is alienated from their work. But hundreds of millions of people are. And if you own part of the nation's land, are you not alienating everyone else in the nation from that land?

Top Bottom