Hot Welcome to Ireland's new ethic community - Travellers.

Thecageyone

PI Member
Travellers are now an Ethnic Minority!

'He walks with his head down. No more' - Taoiseach recognises Traveller ethnicity in the Dáil

THE TAOISEACH HAS taken the historic step of recognising Traveller ethnicity in the Dáil.
Speaking in the chamber this evening, Enda Kenny said that the recognition would allow young Travellers “feel the same sense of hope and opportunity as every other young person in Ireland”.
Using the example of a 17-year-old named Robbie, Kenny said that he was deeply moved by a representation made to him earlier this month.

“On 6February last, I invited representatives of the main Traveller organisations to the Cabinet Committee on Social Policy to discuss this with Minister Stanton and other senior ministers.

“The representatives spoke passionately about how this strong message from the State would be a very important symbolic and positive step in acknowledging the uniqueness of Traveller identity.

They felt it would resonate strongly among the community and help counter the stigma and shame felt by many, particularly young people, and increase feelings of respect, self-esteem and inclusion.

'He walks with his head down. No more' - Taoiseach recognises Traveller ethnicity in the Dáil

Congratulations to the Traveller community, now they are officially further away from being seen as Irish people and join the likes of the Poles, Muslims and other Ethnic communities throughout Ireland.

Thankfully by 2050 when the Irish become a minority in their own country we can join these Ethnic communities and enjoy all that they have to offer!

Tadhg Gaelach

Staff member
Donator
PI Member
The Travellers are the most pure blooded Gaelic people in Ireland. It's sad that they have been pressurized into pretending that they are not really Irish - since that's the only way you can get anything in Ireland today. As the OP says, they can now line up with the Nigerians and the Muslims as alien to Irish society.

D

Deleted member 163

Non Registered Member
Strange that they wanted this, now like the Roma they are alien to their own natural homeland.

There must be some financial benefit they are after.
Signs of maturing.

Kershaw

Donator
PI Member
The Royal College of Surgeons and the University of Edinburgh released the findings from their study on the ancestry of Irish Travellers last month.

What they learned is that Travellers came to be because during the 1600s, a set of Irish families decided to start inbreeding among each-other.

Cromwell was over at that time so maybe they took to the road as a survival mechanism.

http://www.thejournal.ie/traveller-community-study-rcsi-3231070-Feb2017/

My views as to why they liked to be distinct from us is explained in a book by Traveller in America.

He said Travellers didn't like their children going to school with non-Travellers because they want their children to view non-Travellers as 'the other' so they feel better targeting them as marks and take advantage of them.

Travellers say they have their own unique language but it isn't one. It was discovered it was just a pig-latin version of Irish. They swapped around vowels to disguise what they were saying.

I believe they invented it so non-Travellers could not understand them while they were scheming.

Rather than the romantic image of them being travelling tradesmen, I think they developed this culture of travelling because they were travelling scam-artists. And people learned to regard them as such.

I was told by a friend in Carrick-on-Shannon that Travellers will not enter the town because over a hundred years ago, the townsfolk ran them out with pitch-forks and burnt all their caravans and now they are superstitious.

Astrid

Donator
PI Member
The Royal College of Surgeons and the University of Edinburgh released the findings from their study on the ancestry of Irish Travellers last month.

What they learned is that Travellers came to be because during the 1600s, a set of Irish families decided to start inbreeding among each-other.

Cromwell was over at that time so maybe they took to the road as a survival mechanism.

My views as to why they liked to be distinct from us is explained in a book by Traveller in America.

He said Travellers didn't like their children going to school with non-Travellers because they want their children to view non-Travellers as 'the other' so they feel better targeting them as marks and take advantage of them.

Travellers say they have their own unique language but it isn't one. It was discovered it was just a pig-latin version of Irish. They swapped around vowels to disguise what they were saying.

I believe they invented it so non-Travellers could not understand them while they were scheming.

Rather than the romantic image of them being travelling tradesmen, I think they developed this culture of travelling because they were travelling scam-artists. And people learned to regard them as such.

I was told by a friend in Carrick-on-Shannon that Travellers will not enter the town because over a hundred years ago, the townsfolk ran them out with pitch-forks and burnt all their caravans and now they are superstitious.
Interesting, ive long since suspected it was inbreeding, good to see this confirmed. Surely though you would have expected this to have grown out of them by now?

Kershaw

Donator
PI Member
Interesting, ive long since suspected it was inbreeding, good to see this confirmed. Surely though you would have expected this to have grown out of them by now?
Well, it's the same set of families roughly but there would be some new blood so how would they 'grow out of it'?
Inbreeding affects IQ btw so it's no wonder they fail in education.

Tadhg Gaelach

Staff member
Donator
PI Member

I never for a minute thought Travellers were an different ethnic group to the Gael. And nobody who has studied language at all would think that their slang is a distinct language. But Travellers weren't always so parasitic as they are now. I've read a lot of literature in Irish where they are mentioned working as seasonal labourers for farmers and making pots and pans - hence the word "tinker." But the problem here is Liberal Capitalism. If we had a proper régime these people would be removed from their present state and re-integrated with the rest of the nation.

Last edited:

Kershaw

Donator
PI Member
I never for a minute thought Travellers were an different ethnic group to the Gael. And nobody who has studied language at all would think that their slang isn't a distinct language. But Travellers weren't always so parasitic as they are now. I've read a lot of literature in Irish where they are mentioned working as seasonal labourers for farmers and making pots and pans - hence the word "tinker." But the problem here is Liberal Capitalism. If we had a proper régime these people would be removed from their present state and re-integrated with the rest of the nation.
The best thing the state could would be to let people discriminate against them to their heart's content.
That would force them to cop on to themselves to survive or they could die out.
Giving them victim status and legislating against discrimination just allows them to play up that victim card and multiply.

Tadhg Gaelach

Staff member
Donator
PI Member
The best thing the state could would be to let people discriminate against them to their heart's content.
That would force them to cop on to themselves to survive or they could die out.
Giving them victim status and legislating against discrimination just allows them to play up that victim card and multiply.

If discrimination changed anything then the Travellers would all be stock brokers by now. I agree that giving them victim status is just rewarding them for their dissolute life style - but that's what Liberalism does. We need an authoritarian state to change this place around - and not just the Travellers by any means.

Kershaw

Donator
PI Member
If discrimination changed anything then the Travellers would all be stock brokers by now. I agree that giving them victim status is just rewarding them for their dissolute life style - but that's what Liberalism does. We need an authoritarian state to change this place around - and not just the Travellers by any means.
If people were allowed to discriminate against them (which was considered normal behavior up until modern times) then they would have to learn to act decently or they would die out.

I imagine this is actually why Travellers seem to have gotten worse and people have notions of them once being legitimate tradesmen. They possibly could have been.

Imagine if every business in a town was allowed to hang-up 'No Traveller' signs, then there would be no purpose for Travellers to, eh — travel there.

If every town did this, it would create a desire within Travellers to improve themselves and act better.

They only have halting sites because the government pays for them.

If Travellers actually had to spend their own money on renting a site while they were 'travelling' then they would soon learn to improve their attitude if nobody would rent them any land.

Top Bottom