• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Was "New Atheism" a response to 9/11?

Unless you grew up in the Scottish Highlands and Islands or the Welsh Valleys, and not Christopher Hitchens and Richard Dawkins, grew up far away from them (they really are a different universe almost from Metropolitan England) I could never understand how a British person could get worked up so negatively about Religion. After all most of the genes pertaining to fanatical Religiousity were driven out of the British blood stream during the Reformation where many Catholics left for France and after the fall of the Cromwellian Commonwealth when most of the English Calvinists were pushed out to the American colonies. Talking though to someone last night they said that the whole "New Atheist" movement was a reaction to 9/11? Do you think that is true?

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator
Premium Account
Unless you grew up in the Scottish Highlands and Islands or the Welsh Valleys, and not Christopher Hitchens and Richard Dawkins, grew up far away from them (they really are a different universe almost from Metropolitan England) I could never understand how a British person could get worked up so negatively about Religion. After all most of the genes pertaining to fanatical Religiousity were driven out of the British blood stream during the Reformation where many Catholics left for France and after the fall of the Cromwellian Commonwealth when most of the English Calvinists were pushed out to the American colonies. Talking though to someone last night they said that the whole "New Atheist" movement was a reaction to 9/11? Do you think that is true?

Never heard of the New Atheist movement, what is it a chara?

OP
OP
SwordOfStCatherine
Never heard of the New Atheist movement, what is it a chara?
People like Christopher Hitchens and Richard Dawkins who both have made a fortune by selling hysterical and over simplistic books attacking belief in God to geeky males. You have a good few of them over on P.ie. They are dull as dishwater but they have a fair amount of followers.

New Atheism - Wikipedia

People like Christopher Hitchens and Richard Dawkins who both have made a fortune by selling hysterical and over simplistic books attacking belief in God to geeky males. You have a good few of them over on P.ie. They are dull as dishwater but they have a fair amount of followers.

New Atheism - Wikipedia
There were certainly some demagogues who claimed themselves to be Gods after the crash of 9-11 in this country at least.

You'd have to be close to the schools rugby system to understand it but nonetheless there were some nasty figures who claimed Ireland was over and they were the Old Monied English genrty taking back over. It was sickening to use it to their advantage.

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator
Premium Account

New Atheism - Wikipedia

Oh, that used to be called Charlatanism.

OP
OP
SwordOfStCatherine
Oh, that used to be called Charlatanism.
It is made up of the type of males who manage to get enthusiastic about over Analytic Philosophy. I read The Concept of the Mind by Gilbert Ryle once for my sins and found myself wondering if this lad really believes this stuff than why doesn't he just top himself? Honestly it was more nihilistic in essence than even Bakunin but in this effete "cucumber sandwiches at garden parties" English manner.

It is made up of the type of males who manage to get enthusiastic about over Analytic Philosophy. I read The Concept of the Mind by Gilbert Ryle once for my sins and found myself wondering if this lad really believes this stuff than why doesn't he just top himself? Honestly it was more nihilistic in essence than even Bakunin but in this effete "cucumber sandwiches at garden parties" English manner.
Society takes a dim view of suicide to say the least. Suicide is messy without a decent way of going about it. If there was sanctioned suicide available, well that's one way of dealing with it but folk don't want to hear of it.

Last edited:
New Atheism came in with the forums and the prominence of IT techie types. They all gathered together online. Dawkins had/has his possé. This would still be "a thing" irrespective of 9/11.

The London bus bombings did pour kerosine on it -- because London is the spiritual (heh, heh) home for these types. But I wouldn't tether it particularly to 9/11. Of course, who speaks of Dawkins now?

Ire-land

Donator
Premium Account
It's probably more a natural result of the demise/destruction of Christianity, I reckon. People do need to believe in something, I think, even if it's believing in not believing. I always find it funny how passionate atheists are about their 'beliefs'.

Dawkin's take on religion is a tad simplistic for my liking.

As for his early work, The selfish gene was a masterpiece. He has a talent for explaining complex concepts to a lay audience. He should've stuck to writing about evolutionary biology.

OP
OP
SwordOfStCatherine
Dawkin's take on religion is a tad simplistic for my liking.

As for his early work, The selfish gene was a masterpiece. He has a talent for explaining complex concepts to a lay audience. He should've stuck to writing about evolutionary biology.
It is his passion on the subject that has always puzzled me. I mean it isn't as if Religion plays anything more than a ceremonial rule in UK public life and in Britain outside of the Welsh Valleys and the Highlands and Islands of Scotland Christianity doesn't impinge on society. So it isn't as if it ever effected him personally. The only places in England you will find aggressive Religiousity is in Muslim areas so I cannot help thing that the whole thing was a veiled attack on Islam in the light of 9/11.