• Welcome to Political Irish.

Why not open a free account and view the site without Adverts.

Please note, for first registration you must not use a VPN, VPN registrations will be refused entry.

Click Here to sign up!

Ursula Von der Leyen New EU Commission President - who voted for her ?

jpc

PI Member
May 7, 2018
Best observation on the subject.

Aug 2, 2018
The only victory Ireland can have regarding the EU, is to leave it.

Oh that won't be happening.

If you want to leave the EU you would have to move to a non EU country.

The Irish people are far too sensible to follow the Brits

E

Eagle USA

Non Registered Member
Oh that won't be happening.

If you want to leave the EU you would have to move to a non EU country.

The Irish people are far too sensible to follow the Brits

Irexit will happen sooner than you think. Nobody thought back in 2015 that Brexit would ever be possible, or that Donald Trump would become President of the United States......and look how that turned out.

Aug 2, 2018
Irexit will happen sooner than you think. Nobody thought back in 2015 that Brexit would ever be possible, or that Donald Trump would become President of the United States......and look how that turned out.

You obviously have no basic understanding of Irish politics.

You are living in cloud cuckoo land if you think there is even the remotest chance Ireland will leave the EU.

E

Eagle USA

Non Registered Member
You obviously have no basic understanding of Irish politics.

You are living in cloud cuckoo land if you think there is even the remotest chance Ireland will leave the EU.

You wanna put a bet on it? Look at the recent trade deal with South American farmers that will destroy Irish agriculture. Rural Ireland will turn against the EU at lightning speed.

Aug 2, 2018
You wanna put a bet on it? Look at the recent trade deal with South American farmers that will destroy Irish agriculture. Rural Ireland will turn against the EU at lightning speed.

I don't know where to start with this post. But I will try.

So please explain the pathway as you seem so confident.

Which party actually calls the referendum for starters?

Which party calls a referendum whereby the overwhelming majority of people dont want it nor support it.

As for your comparisons with the US and UK

Irexit would be a popular vote. Clinton won the popular vote and the UK only narrowly voted out in a popular vote.

Oh and the UK don't need to change their currency, we would.

I could go on and on.

But by all means don't let me stop you living in your fantasy land. And it is a fantasy land.

Last edited:

Anglophile

PI Member
Aug 2, 2017
Given that Ursula Von der Leyen's endorsement today was 52-48, I wonder whether MEPs really knew
what they were voting for, or whether they feel they have been lied to.

Perhaps there needs to be a confirmatory vote...:D

Anglophile

PI Member
Aug 2, 2017
EU ballot paper with one candidate. That’s how seriously they take democracy.

gijoe

PI Member
Nov 19, 2019
Oh this was embarrassing. I bet she was seething afterwards. But then again it is a Muslim country. She should count herself lucky she wasn't consigned to look at some school or something.

Clarke-Connolly

PI Member
Jun 7, 2020
Oh this was embarrassing. I bet she was seething afterwards. But then again it is a Muslim country. She should count herself lucky she wasn't consigned to look at some school or something.
She is Useless Though.