UK Ban on sale of new Petrol & Diesel Cars in 2040, Ireland to follow suit?

SwingSister

Political Irish
Threads
So the UK is to ban all petrol and diesel cars by 2040, somehow I just dont see it unless technology takes a huge leap.

Britain to ban sale of all diesel and petrol cars and vans from 2040

It's good to set a target, and at 23 years people can't claim that it is too soon - plenty of time for the technology to further improve and for a network of charging arrangements to be built.

Petrolheads may be aghast at this news, but personally I think that electric technology is coming on rapidly - look at Tesla high performance cars - and people will soon be getting as excited about the performance of electric drive trains as they do about petrol and diesel ones at the moment.

It will cause a lot of jobs to be lost though.

I would have an electric car tomorrow, especially one with a hydrogen fuel cell, however like most people who live in a rural area it simply isn't a viable option today and the cost needs to come down.

Apart from emissions hybrid and electric cars are far worse for the environment overall.

Less recyclable components and the batteries are lithium ion which are toxic and not recyclable in anyway

They are planning this with cars but what about all the lorries that are on the roads? How will anything get into the shops if the supply line becomes delayed as everyone waits to recharge?

I could not get to visit my elderly mother with an electric car (and there is no public transport to where she lives.

Anderson

Take the red pill
Donator
PI Member
Political Irish
Threads
I just cant see how it can be done, especially in Ireland.

Can you imagine the extra power stations needed to meet capacity?

Anderson

Take the red pill
Donator
PI Member
Political Irish
Threads
Apparently street lights can be modified to take a charge point. 2040 is nonsense of course, stated for publicity purposes. That'll be postponed like most far-off deadlines that deal with these various things.
Many rural places dont even have street lights and in towns and cities thet have double yellow lines underneath them.

The biggest issue will be the loss in tax revenue for the government unless of course electric prices are set to sky rocket.

Threads
I think this obsession with electric vehicles is a fetish.

Seems ludicrous to expect we will ever get enough energy for vehicles powered by electricity generated from windmills. Its an infantile green fantasy.

Threads
Many rural places dont even have street lights and in towns and cities thet have double yellow lines underneath them.

The biggest issue will be the loss in tax revenue for the government unless of course electric prices are set to sky rocket.
There's 20, 30, 40 years to roll out the infrastructure on this. (The 2040 deadline will not be met for duh UK but later...). There was similar issues at the dawn of the automative age with petrol stations and even getting the electrical grid itself across the country.

As for the technology, Tesla has a car which can do 300 miles on a charge and recharge in 30-45 minutes. It's a very expensive car to buy atm -- but that'll come down in time.

Tesla Quietly Introduces Longest-Range Electric Car on the Market

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator
Premium Account
PI Member
Threads
I guess Classic Cars are going to be an even better investment than they already are - if all we're going to have after 2040 is electric blow dryers for cars.

Top Bottom