• Before posting anything about the COVID-19 virus, please read this first Click Here

Morgoth's Review Tyneside, Brutalism & The Get Carter Car Park

Bustedshaun

Donator
PI Member

BSA

PI Member
Get Carter is one of my favorite films.. ❤ I've watched it numerous times..

The incredible grimy late 1960's atmosphere is something to behold.. Hard to believe large sections of Northern England looked like the 3rd world until recently.. First class acting by Michael Caine he's superb and the other less well known actors are great ,watch out for playwright John Osborne in a rare acting role, a sharp script, and atmospheric location shooting in run down pubs and manky streets most of which were demolished in slum clearances , director Mike Hodges used many non actors and it add to the film...

There's real menace in the bad guys in the film.. Reminds me of 1980's era Irish criminal lowlife knackbags like 'The General'.. criminals earning millions while living in council houses and claiming welfare.. lashing out with gratuitous sadism at 'enemies'.. Templates for today's council estate and halting site wannabe Tony Montanas.. McCarty Dundons Kinnenhan Hutch etc..

OP
Bustedshaun

Bustedshaun

Donator
PI Member
Get Carter is one of my favorite films.. ❤ I've watched it numerous times..

The incredible grimy late 1960's atmosphere is something to behold.. Hard to believe large sections of Northern England looked like the 3rd world until recently.. First class acting by Michael Caine he's superb and the other less well known actors are great ,watch out for playwright John Osborne in a rare acting role, a sharp script, and atmospheric location shooting in run down pubs and manky streets most of which were demolished in slum clearances , director Mike Hodges used many non actors and it add to the film...

There's real menace in the bad guys in the film.. Reminds me of 1980's era Irish criminal lowlife knackbags like 'The General'.. criminals earning millions while living in council houses and claiming welfare.. lashing out with gratuitous sadism at 'enemies'.. Templates for today's council estate and halting site wannabe Tony Montanas.. McCarty Dundons Kinnenhan Hutch etc..
By this stage I've witnessed 3 phases of this in northern England . Slum clearance / Brutalist/to present day. Of all of them the latter I find engenders a feeling of melancholy as it wasn't just the architecture that was demolished......it was the the demographic and the culture.
Another Northern England referred production with a car park star in it was the Beiderbecke trilogy filmed in and around Leeds. this too documents societal change in around Thatcherite Britain. Plater the ex Jarrow lad the ideal person to set the landscape. The teacher protagonists in this somehow seem more sympathetic to their environment and hadn't yet decided to join in throwing the locals under the Bus.

Last edited:
Reactions: BSA
Top Bottom