• Before posting anything about the COVID-19 virus, please read this first Click Here

Twitter going full safe space with latest updates

If people are concerned with accents then we've lost already. Ultimately whilst differing accents are (or were) a great marker of the unique Irish identity its the belief of Ireland and Irishness as a separate ethnicity and culture that matters. We can't blame people for being brought up and immersed in American culture, the fact that they recognise this and wish to return to a true Irish identity is what matters.

I know plenty of heavily accented people, dyed in the wool boggers who are globohomo to the core. I also remember from my school days the prejudice of the rural folks over accents and the limit of these guys patriotism was the Irish football team or their local GAA club.
Accents are a core part of tribalism, to distinguish friend from foe, but we Irish are an Island, so we have allowed for a mix of accents we know, we can take the difference out on the battle field of the hurling or football field, that's how it works, in other words a healthy nation.

Blood Irish

Deported
PI Member
PI Member
So another new member asking people who and what they do. And who are you? Who are you to make assumptions about who I am or am not, you have no info as to anything about me, yet you've just made some assumptions, the kind that either fishes for info or shows you are dumb, easily beaten by the enemy. Are you a copper? Are you a journo trying to do an article and tie certain accounts in with stuff and get the heat on them?

If not then you are an idiot, a liability emotional wreck and a hothead to boot, that will ensure the last nail is put in Ireland's coffin.
Eh who's emotional lol. Mad man/woman .
No wonder we were stuck for so long , you trans ? Certainly appear to be on the rag . Move over Maise , there's new kids on the block.
Do you have shares in this site ? Do I need your permission to post ?
Do you go to protests ?

Atlantean Irish

PI Member
Eh who's emotional lol. Mad man/woman .
No wonder we were stuck for so long , you trans ? Certainly appear to be on the rag . Move over Maise , there's new kids on the block.
Do you have shares in this site ? Do I need your permission to post ?
Do you go to protests ?

Acting like a triggered snowflake to a discussion about accent, instead of being able to take in and understand the concept being discussed is not emo now? If you're not a journo, copper, fishing for info then you are a complete child and if not, an emo wreck.

seems you're a groupie

Last edited:

Conall Gulban

Staff member
PI Member
There is a valid point in the argument, it goes to the root of identity, just as our native language does of who we are, in fact it was a major part of Pearse's concerns. Culture and identity. Language for him was among the core, going to the spiritual root of a people and accent is part and parcel of the etymylogical roots of a language, as it is accent that shapes and moulds many of the words and meanings of those words, the spirit of the people being encapsulated in the accent first and then given form in the word, the expression of the people, going right to the core of who a people are and how they are innately different to foreign peoples.

In fact the very battle against immigration is made a lot harder by people who propose and complain about concepts such as globalisation yet whose public expression, serves as a point of contradiction and hypocrisy, if they themselves appear and are perceived as a product of the very poison, globalism, that they rail against themselves. It weakens their argument and in the eyes of the people, the public we are trying to persuade, it makes them as a representative of nationalism, and that argument seem insincere and motivated by self-interest rather than any authentic national interest.
The problem with accents in Ireland though, goes back further than the era of immigration. My own locality was , due to industry, a draw for people from all over Ireland so for example my own parents (being blow ins) had a markedly different accent than the local brogues. And many other of my contemporaries were the same, their parents being from different parts of Ireland.
Localism in Ireland has been fragmenting for a long time now with people migrating from one part of Ireland to the other. This has had an effect on regional accents.

Edit: I will say though, I hear the local schools kids these days and they genuinely sound American..like full on American accents without a hint of Irishness.

Last edited:

Blood Irish

Deported
PI Member
PI Member
Acting like a triggered snowflake to a discussion about accent, instead of being able to take in and understand the concept being discussed is not emo now? If you're not a journo, copper, fishing for info then you are a complete child and if not, an emo wreck.

seems you're a groupie
:cry::cry::cry: quit your yap

Atlantean Irish

PI Member
The problem with accents in Ireland though, goes back further than the era of immigration. My own locality was , due to industry, a draw for people from all over Ireland so for example my own parents (being blow ins) had a markedly different accent than the local brogues. And many other of my contemporaries were the same, their parents being from different parts of Ireland.
Localism in Ireland has been fragmenting for a long time now with people migrating from one part of Ireland to the other. This has had an effect on regional accents.
That is one thing, at least the hybrid was still of our own devising and was not systemic, and it did not taint or affect each of the counties accents, that remained as a bank untouched and pristine. changing only in accordance to a rate if at all, in keeping with any change affected by the natives themselves.

The globalisation accent however is another beast altogether, like the immigrants themselves, an imported wholly unIrish thing, with whole counties kid's now starting to sound all the same, it's a bad thing, for as where the accent goes, so too does the mind. It is indicative in general, Dave being the exception that proves the rule, that where one affects a certain accent, ones social mores and allegiances are to be found.

Clarke-Connolly

PI Member
Top Bottom