• Before posting anything about the COVID-19 virus, please read this first Click Here

Twitter going full safe space with latest updates

TheIrishRight

PI Member
Wanna bet Charles 'the Planter' Flanagan will be using the 'Statement setting?

civic_critic

PI Member
I haven't listened to this but that guy seems to make a living out of stating the obvious in a mid-Atlantic accent. Would I be right in thinking he's a died-in-the-wool anti-Republican free stater? Perhaps not, but he barks a lot of Americanised concepts and vocabulary that make me think he would be no friend of Connolly. Closeted, he seems.

He must understand that in the subtlety of life contributing to 'the conversation' helps to introduce the very things he says he's fighting against, normalises them as heard and thereby accepted parts of the wallpaper of life.

Atlantean Irish

PI Member
I haven't listened to this but that guy seems to make a living out of stating the obvious in a mid-Atlantic accent. Would I be right in thinking he's a died-in-the-wool anti-Republican free stater? Perhaps not, but he barks a lot of Americanised concepts and vocabulary that make me think he would be no friend of Connolly. Closeted, he seems.

He must understand that in the subtlety of life contributing to 'the conversation' helps to introduce the very things he says he's fighting against, normalises them as heard and thereby accepted parts of the wallpaper of life.

Yeah seems small potatoes but there is a valid point to it, said same about a year ago. Not criticising his effort, though I said I find it hard to take, (but fuck it he's out pushin awareness so he has my full backing for that, guess I'm pissed off at the encroaching obliterating of our Irishness, but meant as constructive pointer.) If reading this, try to get back to your root county accent. The mid-Atlantic twang and wording, is part of the globalisation destruction. Each county is losing it's unique accent, you can hear kids from different counties all starting to sound like Americans. E.g a more pronounced 't' is usually more Irish rather than the American sounding 'd'.

So for example you'd hear the Irish media especially coming out saying things like....wadder, instead of water, grinds my fucking gears mainly because I know what it means in terms of the background invasive globalised culture insidiously working away corroding the native Irish culture.

Otherwise good work Dave (is it? name escapes me now)

Last edited:

Blood Irish

Deported
PI Member
PI Member
Yeah seems small potatoes but there is a valid point to it, said same about a year ago. Not criticising his effort, though I said I find it hard to take, (but fuck it he's out pushin awareness so he has my full backing for that, guess I'm pissed off at the encroaching obliterating of our Irishness, but meant as constructive pointer.) If reading this, try to get back to your root county accent. The mid-Atlantic twang and wording, is part of the globalisation destruction. Each county is losing it's unique accent, you can hear kids from different counties all starting allto sound like Americans. E.g a more pronounced 't' is usually more Irish rather than the American sounding 'd'.

So for example you'd hear the Irish media especially coming out saying things like....wadder, instead of water, grinds my fucking gears mainly because I know what it means in terms of the background invasive globalised culture insidiously working away corroding the native Irish culture.

He also take his arse down to the protests . For a guy who has short of half a million followers on YT to come and stand with us is as he says 'a thing' .
Yes , it has taken me a bit of time to get used to his accent , maybe he's lived in the US for a time . I'm not fussy , I will take my patriots with any accent .

Atlantean Irish

PI Member
He also take his arse down to the protests . For a guy who has short of half a million followers on YT to come and stand with us is as he says 'a thing' .
Yes , it has taken me a bit of time to get used to his accent , maybe he's lived in the US for a time . I'm not fussy , I will take my patriots with any accent .
That half a million was got in early days doing tech reviews for an American audience. The point being made is there is no point lamenting the loss of Irish culture when the adoption of a globalized language and it's patterns is partly indicative of the globalized thought patterns. As stated, good for the action but there is still a point about culture that is valid and worth noting.

F

fishsticks

Non Registered Member
Yeah seems small potatoes but there is a valid point to it, said same about a year ago. Not criticising his effort, though I said I find it hard to take, (but fuck it he's out pushin awareness so he has my full backing for that, guess I'm pissed off at the encroaching obliterating of our Irishness, but meant as constructive pointer.) If reading this, try to get back to your root county accent. The mid-Atlantic twang and wording, is part of the globalisation destruction. Each county is losing it's unique accent, you can hear kids from different counties all starting allto sound like Americans. E.g a more pronounced 't' is usually more Irish rather than the American sounding 'd'.

I'm pretty sure he admitted (if that's the right word) that his accent is somewhat on purpose..for his audience.

Blood Irish

Deported
PI Member
PI Member
That half a million was got in early days doing tech reviews for an American audience. The point being made is there is no point lamenting the loss of Irish culture when the adoption of a globalized language and it's patterns is partly indicative of the globalized thought patterns. As stated, good for the action but there is still a point about culture that is valid and worth noting.
You are just being bolshie . I don't mind his accent , end of.

Atlantean Irish

PI Member
You are just being bolshie . I don't mind his accent , end of.
No. I have given you a proper explanation. But instead of providing an argument you are triggered into insult. It is a real concern about Irishness and the way the Irish are speaking. If this discussion was about the Irish in general and the growing Americanization of the way they speak and the way kids from all counties coming out losing their county accent and starting to sound the same, you'd agree. Well that's what my point and concern is about.
I would like the guy to get back into the accent of his county, he'd even get more popular both here and abroad. Now I know Dave reads these threads, and after I criticised his accent before, he started getting his Irish accent back, and that was great, hopefully he has a read of this and takes onboard the constructive idea I am putting forward here, if he is intelligent and thoughtful, without being sensitive about it, he will realise, this is correct and has a point, and he might take it on. It will be good for his Irish audience, and I think his American audience will love it.

Top Bottom