• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Traditions that should have died a long time ago?

What traditions do you still see that make you cringe and you wish died out a long time ago?

One that always stands out for me is the tradition of;

Thanking the Bus driver when he stops at your designated stop. Why thank someone for doing their job?

I also hate the new years honours list in the UK, giving someone a knighthood because they were good and well paid at doing a job we would all love to do, such as a soccer player.

...One that always stands out for me is the tradition of;

Thanking the Bus driver when he stops at your designated stop. Why thank someone for doing their job?
Because he's a fellow human being and compatriot as well as a worker? TBH I would be much more concerned about the converse, related to much more recent "traditions" that seem to be creeping in, such as thinking of and treating the waiter or waitress in a restaurant as a lesser being to oneself.

2pacs

Donator
Premium Account
Not sure about traditions that should have ended but I would like to see the national anthem come back on TV.

Arseholes in Supermarkets who have been as sour as month old milk all year thinking that putting on a Christmas hat and jumper will fool the customer in to thinking they are lovely happy persons, who appreciate them,and love seeing them coming in.

Nothing more incongruous than a rank bewer behind a check out with a puss on that would turn the tide wearing a set of reindeer antlers.

Doesnt fool the Tobster, sour in June, sour in December.

2pacs

Donator
Premium Account
Arseholes in Supermarkets who have been as sour as month old milk all year thinking that putting on a Christmas hat and jumper will fool the customer in to thinking they are lovely happy persons, who appreciate them,and love seeing them coming in.

Nothing more incongruous than a rank bewer behind a check out with a puss on that would turn the tide wearing a set of reindeer antlers.

Doesnt fool the Tobster, sour in June, sour in December.
Agree with you there Toby, they may be wearing Christmas jumpers but the look on their faces would certainly sour the milk in the trolley.

Anderson

Take the red pill
Donator
Premium Account
I personally hate the round system in pubs and having to keep up with gluttons.
Just buy your feckin own and leave me alone.
Tell me about it, sometimes I like to sit there and take my time, so quite often I will skip a round when asked for a drink. However, im always expected to pay for everyone when I ask. Am I supposed to mount up the drinks for myself to avoid missing out?

Would much rather like you said, buy for yourself only.

Dan Óg

Ui Máine
Staff member
Donator
Premium Account
Because he's a fellow human being and compatriot as well as a worker? TBH I would be much more concerned about the converse, related to much more recent "traditions" that seem to be creeping in, such as thinking of and treating the waiter or waitress in a restaurant as a lesser being to oneself.
He would not thank a firefighter that saved his life.

Dan Óg

Ui Máine
Staff member
Donator
Premium Account
It is the opposite here. A waiter gets treated very well. I once tipped a waitress 66 dollars and in hindsight that was a bit low. I will leave a fine even on a 10 dollar snack.

Superhans

Site Admin
Staff member
Site Admin
It is the opposite here. A waiter gets treated very well. I once tipped a waitress 66 dollars and in hindsight that was a bit low. I will leave a fine even on a 10 dollar snack.
66 Dollar tip? How much was the meal!

Dan Óg

Ui Máine
Staff member
Donator
Premium Account
Too
66 Dollar tip? How much was the meal!
Too much. It actually was nothing out of the ordinary. It was 11 people and about 420 dollars. I was hosting. My brother is a sponge when there is free beer. Most others had a soda or a glass of wine. For some reason I kept thinking of an unnamed poster here as he sucked down another brew. Everyone had a great time.