Premium Account
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bustedshaun

Donator
PI Member
Premium Account

The Field Marshal

PI Member
Of all the successful pop songs written between 1980 and 1990 only two actually meet the grade of a true classic.
Stevie Wonder I just called to say I love you.
Chris Rea The Road to Hell.

Bustedshaun

Donator
PI Member
Premium Account
For polished and timeless production values, few bands in the 1980's went as deep into sound and its most fundamental of meanings with recording techniques and experimental approaches as these criminally under-rated guys, Talk Talk.

While most people know of them for their pop fodder - they may not realize that the entire band hated - loathed - to find themselves having to make such trash; they were far beyond that as musical visionaries with absolutely brand new ideas nobody had even thought of before, let along actually spent weeks and months trying to perfect.

Listen to the sound of the instruments rather than the song; hear how blunt and dry they sound, yet they then melt into harmony seamlessly before falling apart again and disseminating into dust. Open space. You can hear the silence of this recording as crystal clearly as you can the bleak instrumentation. It's classic stuff.

If I may, I'd like to dedicate this one to @Field Marshal - have a lovely Sunday afternoon, Herra Anti-AntiPope.

Talk Talk: Happiness Is Easy' (The Colour Of Spring - 1986)

Vengeful Glutton

PI Member
Don't know if it was played on TOTP (1985), but this is a cracking tune. The skirt is smoking hot (the one without the moustache)

Top Bottom