Top of the Pops - The 1980s

TheWexfordInn

Donator
PI Member
Threads
I'm amazed how long little memories can lurk forgotten in the back of ones brain but for some reason watching this brought back to me a flashback of Dave Heffernan interviewing Thoamas Dolby on "Anything Goes" thirty five or so years ago.

Mowl

PI Member
Threads
Though I started out as strictly acoustic with my choice of instruments as a youth, I always kept one close ear on the synthesized music coming out of the UK at the time. I kept thinking that if these acoustic instruments could be rewired and used as triggers for other sounds, then the musical world could be your oyster.

This dude, Thomas Dolby, managed to do it before anybody else though. His methods were amazing to my ears and even now you can strip any of his heavily synthesized pieces back to the basics of their acoustic form and they still sound amazing and use some very original/unusual methods of arrangement. Lyrically, he was edgy and uncompromizing, and the subject matter was usually quite obscure references to wind power, signals from outer space, missiles disappearing, and other Cold War related ideas.

But most of all: he could laugh at himself and the music business in general.

Quite a maverick for the times, and the songs have lasted well - not to mention the lyrics.

Thomas Dolby: 'Dissidents' (The Flat Earth - 1984)

Nicenin

Donator
Threads
I'm amazed how long little memories can lurk forgotten in the back of ones brain but for some reason watching this brought back to me a flashback of Dave Heffernan interviewing Thomas Dolby on "Anything Goes" thirty five or so years ago.
I never knew he was on that show. I have a friend who worked on it and another friend in the RTE archive. Might see if they can dig it out.

Edit: Just seen there that Tom Dolby is playing at four UK festivals next summer. Have grabbed a ticket, he lives in LA and isn't over this way often.

Last edited:

Bustedshaun

Donator
PI Member
Threads
Though I started out as strictly acoustic with my choice of instruments as a youth, I always kept one close ear on the synthesized music coming out of the UK at the time. I kept thinking that if these acoustic instruments could be rewired and used as triggers for other sounds, then the musical world could be your oyster.

This dude, Thomas Dolby, managed to do it before anybody else though. His methods were amazing to my ears and even now you can strip any of his heavily synthesized pieces back to the basics of their acoustic form and they still sound amazing and use some very original/unusual methods of arrangement. Lyrically, he was edgy and uncompromizing, and the subject matter was usually quite obscure references to wind power, signals from outer space, missiles disappearing, and other Cold War related ideas.

But most of all: he could laugh at himself and the music business in general.

Quite a maverick for the times, and the songs have lasted well - not to mention the lyrics.

Thomas Dolby: 'Dissidents' (The Flat Earth - 1984)

If he was sending messages into space via the medium of synth sounds he must have been communicating with Eno

Top Bottom