• Before posting anything about the COVID-19 virus, please read this first Click Here

Thousands of Citizenship Applications may have been unlawfully granted?

Ted

PI Member
Minister says citizenship ruling being dealt with 'as an urgent priority'

This looks like it has the potential to create a right mess.

OP
T

Ted

PI Member
I raised this yesterday. And I asked:

Who is monitoring the overseas travel of those awaiting naturalization ?

I would bet a hundred bux that the answer is:

Nobody.
I'm guessing there will be an attempt to make retrospective legislation and probably to scrap the residency requirement.

OP
T

Ted

PI Member
[The judge] found that the discretionary practice by the Minister for Justice of allowing applicants to spend six weeks out of the country for holidays, or other reasons, and more time in exceptional circumstances, was not permitted by law.

Does this now invalidate the citizenships that were granted under those terms?
What are the knock-on effects?

TW Tone

PI Member
I'm guessing there will be an attempt to make retrospective legislation and probably to scrap the residency requirement.

My wife is a naturalized US citizen. Before her naturalization ceremony, an INS (as it was then ) agent spoke to every candidate and reviewed each person's paperwork. Among the questions she asked my wife was to list absences from the US in the previous year (or perhaps it was since my wife had applied for citizenship). My wife told her the truth: she had been about ten days outside the US to attend her late mother's funeral. Other than that, no absences.
The agent was satisfied with that declaration, and my wife has been a proud US citizen since then.

Now this was the year before 9/11, so perhaps things were a bit more relaxed. But my point is that even then continuous residency in the US in the prior period was a requirement for naturalization. I suspect it's a common requirement across different countries. Knowing how little the Irish value their citizenship, however, I would tend to agree that the residency requirement will be scrapped or fudged.

Sinbad

They call me a God
Donator
PI Member
Lad at work said his Mrs who is a British lass cant get citizenship.

She has lived here for 20 years and wanted to get Irish citizenship because of Brexit, because she traveled to the UK for a funeral within the last 12 months they canceled her application as she didn't meet the rule. They are having an awful time even getting their money back!

Wolf

Donator
PI Member
Minister says citizenship ruling being dealt with 'as an urgent priority'

This looks like it has the potential to create a right mess.
All citizenship applications over the last 20 years or so will have to be checked.
All who didn't meet the criteria should have their citizenship revoked and be deported.

DrPat2

PI Member
All citizenship applications over the last 20 years or so will have to be checked.
All who didn't meet the criteria should have their citizenship revoked and be deported.
Does it not depend on whether the ruling applies retrospectively as well as prospectively? If it is the former then legislation will be presumably used by the administration to validate the citizenship awards made. I seriously doubt that they will be trawling the records of past awardees of citizenship to check if they were in compliance with the law as pronounced in the latest ruling. I could be completely wrong, of course! You can envisage Leo and Charlie sitting down and looking at the numbers of awards made and enthusiastically rubbing their hands saying 'Now, where do we start? Bring it on!' o_O

TW Tone

PI Member
Does it not depend on whether the ruling applies retrospectively as well as prospectively? If it is the former then legislation will be presumably used by the administration to validate the citizenship awards made. I seriously doubt that they will be trawling the records of past awardees of citizenship to check if they were in compliance with the law as pronounced in the latest ruling. I could be completely wrong, of course! You can envisage Leo and Charlie sitting down and looking at the numbers of awards made and enthusiastically rubbing their hands saying 'Now, where do we start? Bring it on!' o_O

There also is a question posed to US naturalization candidates. "Do you intend to reside permanently in the US?" or something to that effect. It used to be quite strict, and you definitely had to stay in US for at least a year after naturalization, but Clinton relaxed the requirement. But the stated intention to stay is still a factor.
I wonder is it a factor here.
In fact the whole citizenship process has been developed without telling Irish people what is involved. The Dept of Justice civil service and the politicians have shrouded it in secrecy, and precluded comparisons with good practice in other countries. There has been no input from the people, no discussion. Only rogue outfits like the Immigrant Council get to comment.
Yet again our useless media asleep on their watch.

Well I have studied quite a few naturalization systems, and I can say with confidence that Ireland has the laxest citizenship process in Europe.

Last edited:

Napper Tandy

PI Member
My wife is a naturalized US citizen. Before her naturalization ceremony, an INS (as it was then ) agent spoke to every candidate and reviewed each person's paperwork. Among the questions she asked my wife was to list absences from the US in the previous year (or perhaps it was since my wife had applied for citizenship). My wife told her the truth: she had been about ten days outside the US to attend her late mother's funeral. Other than that, no absences.
The agent was satisfied with that declaration, and my wife has been a proud US citizen since then.

Now this was the year before 9/11, so perhaps things were a bit more relaxed. But my point is that even then continuous residency in the US in the prior period was a requirement for naturalization. I suspect it's a common requirement across different countries. Knowing how little the Irish value their citizenship, however, I would tend to agree that the residency requirement will be scrapped or fudged.
and then you dragged her over here ??

OP
T

Ted

PI Member
There also is a question posed to US naturalization candidates. "Do you intend to reside permanently in the US?" or something to that effect. It used to be quite strict, and you definitely had to stay in US for at least a year after naturalization, but Clinton relaxed the requirement. But the stated intention to stay is still a factor.
I wonder is it a factor here.
In fact the whole citizenship process has been developed without telling Irish people what is involved. The Dept of Justice civil service and the politicians have shrouded it in secrecy, and precluded comparisons with good practice in other countries. There has been no input from the people, no discussion.
Yet again our useless media asleep on their watch.

Well I have studied quite a few naturalization systems, and I can say with confidence that Ireland has the laxest citizenship process in Europe.
The process, whatever it is, does appear to have a huge element of nod and wink to it.
It's probably wide open to corruption.

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator
No doubt the Blueshirt Régime will find some way to paper over its criminal treason against the Irish nation - and keep all that cheap migrant labour for gombeen enrichment.

Top Bottom