Thoughts On Facebook?

GodsDog

PI Member
Threads
This Is The 'Depressing' Chart Mark Zuckerberg Does Not Want You To See

https://www.economist.com/graphic-d...e-of-social-media-is-linked-to-mental-illness

According to a survey in 2017 by the Royal Society for Public Health, Britons aged 14-24 believe that Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Twitter have detrimental effects on their wellbeing.

On average, they reported that these social networks gave them extra scope for self-expression and community-building.

But they also said that the platforms exacerbated anxiety and depression, deprived them of sleep, exposed them to bullying and created worries about their body image and “FOMO” (“fear of missing out”).

Academic studies have found that these problems tend to be particularly severe among frequent users.

Nearly 63% of Instagram users report being miserable, a higher share than for any other social network. They spend an average of nearly an hour per day on the app.
Chamath Palihapitiya, former vice president of user growth at Facebook stated at a recent public discussion at the Stanford Graduate School of Business, “I think we have created tools that are ripping apart the social fabric of how society works.”
”The short-term, dopamine-driven feedback loops we’ve created are destroying how society works,” Palihapitiya said.
“No civil discourse, no cooperation; misinformation, mistruth. And it’s not an American problem  -  this is not about Russians ads. This is a global problem.”

Palihapitiya then expressed the feeling of guilt, “I feel tremendous guilt. I think we all knew in the back of our minds — even though we feigned this whole line of, like, there probably aren’t any bad unintended consequences. I think in the back, deep, deep recesses of, we kind of knew something bad could happen. But I think the way we defined it was not like this.”
“So we are in a really bad state of affairs right now, in my opinion. It is eroding the core foundation of how people behave by and between each other. And I don’t have a good solution. My solution is I just don’t use these tools anymore. I haven’t for years.“​
Concerning the issue of social media as a whole, Palihapitiya stated that he doesn’t use it anymore since he “innately didn’t want to get programmed.” And as for his kids, “they’re not allowed to use this shit.”

Circling back to last year's The Atlantic article, the correlations between depression and smartphone use are strong enough to suggest that more parents should be telling their kids to put down their phone. As the technology writer Nick Bilton has reported, it’s a policy some Silicon Valley executives follow. Even Steve Jobs limited his kids’ use of the devices he brought into the world.

Threads
Everytime I open FB I read the same news sources
RT, Breitbart, Altview Ireland, Syrian News and an Irexit site. I click on them daily.
However, despite NEVER EVER clicking on Waterford Whispers, The Journal.ie, the Guardian and the Irish Independent, they are the first posts that come up when I log on.
I've read that the Journal.ie was chosen to monitor FB Ireland, and I've also noticed that the Waterford Whispers have set their weak satire on the Pro-Life movement and adopted the humour of SNL pro-establishment shite.
All through the referendum I was bombarded with links to Pro-Abortion news articles.
Similar happened in Youtube.

Dan Óg

Ui Máine
Staff member
Donator
PI Member
Threads
I am still short 58 shares at an average of 156.63. I am being zuckerburged up the ass.

Dan Óg

Ui Máine
Staff member
Donator
PI Member
Threads
My ass has been prepaired for possibly more friction as I am still short facebook with 58 shares, now at 217. I was too battered to add more as we await the earnings as soon as the market closes at 4pm EST

Dan Óg

Ui Máine
Staff member
Donator
PI Member
Threads
I am kicking myself because I shorted 2 other stocks instead of shorting another 15 shares and now it is down a whopping 50 bucks a share. Where is my gun and if we believe Prevett I will be back in 3 days.

Dan Óg

Ui Máine
Staff member
Donator
PI Member
Threads
FB : Summary for Facebook, Inc. - Yahoo Finance

This is really a very weak response to the slaughter of yesterday and I wonder how much more pain is coming. Hopefully a lot. This company was valued at 630 billion and is still at 512. That is a lot of value to what is just an idea really. Surely a replacement will come along.

jmcc

PI Member
Threads
FB : Summary for Facebook, Inc. - Yahoo Finance

This is really a very weak response to the slaughter of yesterday and I wonder how much more pain is coming. Hopefully a lot. This company was valued at 630 billion and is still at 512. That is a lot of value to what is just an idea really. Surely a replacement will come along.
Not sure if there will be a direct replacement for FB as such. FB emerged in an era where privacy was only spoken about amongst cryppies, CypherPunks (though we had been discussing this kind of thing for a long time before that) and privacy advocates. The current privacy landscape with the moronic GDPR and the interference in the governance of the Internet by state actors makes dealing with anything even remotely like personal data a job for the lawyers. FB is also a largely Western operation. The Russians have VK and similar. The Chinese have Weibo and QQ and the Japanese have a few of their own. FB replaced Bebo and Myspace but was far more addictive. FB still has that level of addictiveness and with a competitor, there's always the switching issue. People have built their presence on FB so they would lose a lot of that if they switched. (Similar to the possible demise of P.ie and other sites. Some people will only switch when their previous supplier disappears.) FB also has the warchest to purchase potential competitors in the Western market.

Dan Óg

Ui Máine
Staff member
Donator
PI Member
Threads
Not sure if there will be a direct replacement for FB as such. FB emerged in an era where privacy was only spoken about amongst cryppies, CypherPunks (though we had been discussing this kind of thing for a long time before that) and privacy advocates. The current privacy landscape with the moronic GDPR and the interference in the governance of the Internet by state actors makes dealing with anything even remotely like personal data a job for the lawyers. FB is also a largely Western operation. The Russians have VK and similar. The Chinese have Weibo and QQ and the Japanese have a few of their own. FB replaced Bebo and Myspace but was far more addictive. FB still has that level of addictiveness and with a competitor, there's always the switching issue. People have built their presence on FB so they would lose a lot of that if they switched. (Similar to the possible demise of P.ie and other sites. Some people will only switch when their previous supplier disappears.) FB also has the warchest to purchase potential competitors in the Western market.
It's economic load might be shot though. In a recession companies will reexamine their advertising budget and it is hard to see this coming being worth 500 billion.

Top Bottom