Those Days Are Gone: The Story of Turf

Kershaw

Donator
PI Member

Not sure who made this. The description says it was released probably around late 1990s or early 2000s and the narrator: Dr. John Kerr.
Title is more apt than it was probably originally intended as it seems to have been made just around the time Ireland made the transition from being an Irish nation into the multi-culti globohomo nightmare that it is now.

It's not just about how turf is cut, dried and used, that's just the first 20 minutes, it also covers tradition bee-keeping methods, chicken rearing, rare cow breeds and lots more snippets of wisdom.

You'll be left with a sore heart wondering how this Ireland was taken away.

To quote the end:

"As the video title suggests, those days of old really are gone and probably forever because when we suggested to John Linton that with the current high price of oil, the turf cutting machine might back in business, he replied: "never, for people wouldn't have the time now to work with turf. Look at the modern farmer, always in a hurry and working half the night". There is no doubt technology has brought us a long way in the last hundred years though some people might not appreciate the changes. Perhaps the old days were the best."

Last edited:

darkhorse3

PI Member
Very environmentally damaging now - those days are over
Besides we are all a lot more prosperous now and dont need to be digging up turf for the fire anymore

D

Deleted member 2694

Non Registered Member

Not sure who made this. The description says it was released probably around late 1990s or early 2000s and the narrator: Dr. John Kerr.
Title is more apt than it was probably originally intended as it seems to have been made just around the time Ireland made the transition from being an Irish nation into the multi-culti globohomo nightmare that it is now.

It's not just about how turf is cut, dried and used, that's just the first 20 minutes, it also covers tradition bee-keeping methods, chicken rearing, rare cow breeds and lots more snippets of wisdom.

To quote the end:

"As the video title suggests, those days of old really are gone and probably forever because when we suggested to John Linton that with the current high price of oil the turf cutting machine might back in business, he replied never, for people wouldn't have the time now to work with turf. Look at the modern farmer, always in a hurry and working half the night. There is no doubt technology has brought us a long way in the last hundred years though some people might not appreciate the changes. Perhaps the old days were the best."
I love the donkeys kreel! It is a part of our heritage! The old days were the best days. People cared about each other and there was more community spirit.

D

Deleted member 163

Non Registered Member
I dug turf in county Derry, up near the Gkenshane Pass. Back breaking work.
I called it modern slavery as a snotty teenager, but my father called it "character building".
How right he was.
Yes, yours but not his, I guess.

TheWexfordInn

Donator
PI Member

To quote the end:

"As the video title suggests, those days of old really are gone and probably forever because when we suggested to John Linton that with the current high price of oil, the turf cutting machine might back in business, he replied: "never, for people wouldn't have the time now to work with turf. Look at the modern farmer, always in a hurry and working half the night". There is no doubt technology has brought us a long way in the last hundred years though some people might not appreciate the changes. Perhaps the old days were the best."
I remember going out turf cutting when on childhood family holidays we used to help out cutting turf for the next winter and taking in the hay and so on.
We had those specially shaped spades with a long and narrow blade on the end. The turf weighs a ton when you dig it up as its got so much water in it, it was hard work which is why my relatives appreciated having some extra manpower from us coming down on holidays to help out.

Top Bottom