Theresa May calls UK general election for 8 June

The Potato Mystic

PI Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Britain is in a state of extreme exhaustion after years of Blairite experimentation at home and lunatic interventions abroad. May is a creature of that exhaustion. A kind of stubborn librarian matriarch that's in the process of consolidating a tough librarian regime. She's not a runaway schizophrenic like Blair was, nor is she an opportunist shyster like Cameron. It also helps there's no bewitching globalist warlord on the White House throne so she's left more space to manoeuvre with less of a chance in getting pulled into globalist clown-schemes. But whilst she is clever in wrongfooting the political parties there's still a high amount of senility in her thinking re. the union. She gives thumping pro-union speeches not realising the union just isn't believed in anymore above it being a commercial arrangement of dwindling persuasiveness. To give her her dues, she's a refreshing antidote to the previous Jimmy Savile clown regime's but the idea she's some titan proactively slaying globalism is rather overstating matters I think.

Nicola Sturgeon has her say;

“This announcement is one of the most extraordinary U-turns in recent political history, and it shows that Theresa May is once again putting the interests of her party ahead of those of the country

“She is clearly betting that the Tories can win a bigger majority in England given the utter disarray in the Labour Party.

“That makes it all the important that Scotland is protected from a Tory Party which now sees the chance of grabbing control of government for many years to come and moving the UK further to the right – forcing through a hard Brexit and imposing deeper cuts in the process.

“That means that this will be – more than ever before – an election about standing up for Scotland, in the face of a right-wing, austerity obsessed Tory government with no mandate in Scotland but which now thinks it can do whatever it wants and get away with it.

“In terms of Scotland, this move is a huge political miscalculation by the Prime Minister.

“It will once again give people the opportunity to reject the Tories’ narrow, divisive agenda, as well as reinforcing the democratic mandate which already exists for giving the people of Scotland a choice on their future.

“The SNP will always put the people of Scotland first – and between now and June 8th we will work harder than ever to retain the trust of the people.”

www.politicshome.com

Dublin 4

Donator
PI Member
Britain is in a state of extreme exhaustion after years of Blairite experimentation at home and lunatic interventions abroad. May is a creature of that exhaustion. A kind of stubborn librarian matriarch that's in the process of consolidating a tough librarian regime. She's not a runaway schizophrenic like Blair was, nor is she an opportunist shyster like Cameron. It also helps there's no bewitching globalist warlord on the White House throne so she's left more space to manoeuvre with less of a chance in getting pulled into globalist clown-schemes. But whilst she is clever in wrongfooting the political parties there's still a high amount of senility in her thinking re. the union. She gives thumping pro-union speeches not realising the union just isn't believed in anymore above it being a commercial arrangement of dwindling persuasiveness. To give her her dues, she's a refreshing antidote to the previous Jimmy Savile clown regime's but the idea she's some titan proactively slaying globalism is rather overstating matters I think.
She's a brilliant Operator who crushed Oppostion to A50 being triggered & who has a Record lead in the Polls.

I hope Nigel & her clean up.

Theresa May would have looked at polls suggesting most people accept the referendum result and want her to "get on with it", she would have taken that at face value I'm sure.

While most people have accepted the Referendum situation that's only because there is nothing that can be done about it.
A General Election changes things.

We have heard of the phrase "shy Tory", I think we will soon be hearing the phrase "shy Remainer" from pollsters.

Dublin 4

Donator
PI Member
Labour are all over the Place as Greece & Italy bubble away.

The IMF declared Britain the fastest growing Economy in the World.

BOE said they'd a Michael Fish Moment re Bremain.

Morgan Stanley said they'd have to eat Humble Pie re Brexit predictions.

JP Morgan cancelled their Brexit redundancy Threats.

Merrill Lynch are proceeding with their 500,000 Sq Ft Office in London.

Massive Remain Lobby Group thecityuk switched pro Brex- like a host of others.

Facebook invested post Brexy, together with Google, Land Rover Jag, Nissan, Toyota & many more.

DexterGreen22

PI Member
I think Sturgeon will lose some votes from EU-skeptic voters, there is a large minority of SNP voters (about a third) who voted to leave the EU. One of the main reasons I won't be voting for the SNP in June is the current leaderships's stance on the EU.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/14950013.36__of_SNP_and_Labour_supporters_backed_Brexit__finds_survey/

So Just How United Are SNP Supporters on Europe? - What Scotland Thinks

A number of her own SNP MSP's voted Leave last year.

As did Jim Sillars, 'Mr Sillars, who played a prominent role in 2014’s referendum campaign, said he did not want to be run by “an unelected, self-serving elite” in Brussels.'

“And I’m not alone in that; there’s something like 350,000 to 400,000 of people like me who voted to come out of the EU and under no circumstances would vote to go back in.”

Jim Sillars: I won't vote Yes to independence if it means rejoining EU

2pacs

Donator
PI Member
I think Sturgeon will lose some votes from EU-skeptic voters, there is a large minority of SNP voters (about a third) who voted to leave the EU. One of the main reasons I won't be voting for the SNP in June is the current leaderships's stance on the EU.

36 of SNP and Labour supporters backed Brexit, finds survey

As did Jim Sillars, 'Mr Sillars, who played a prominent role in 2014’s referendum campaign, said he did not want to be run by “an unelected, self-serving elite” in Brussels.'

“And I’m not alone in that; there’s something like 350,000 to 400,000 of people like me who voted to come out of the EU and under no circumstances would vote to go back in.”

~Id like to see her put back in her place, she annoys me when she says she speaks for Scottish people and yet she actually fails to listen to what the majority wants.

The Potato Mystic

PI Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/14950013.36__of_SNP_and_Labour_supporters_backed_Brexit__finds_survey/

Sturgeon is caught in both thorns. Cold Turkey independence is gonna spook people, and another slate of people who voted for Brexit are going to be antagonised by readmission into the EU. So she has instability with two types of her base who want opposing things.

And Sturgeon won't have answers either given that Brexit negotiations haven't begun. So she'll only be able to give several possibilities in response to various unknowns. What goes in her favour is that the unionists in their various guises are loathed. Still, she has an unpleasant rearguard action to fight if she wants to hold the front intact.

Top Bottom