Theresa May calls UK general election for 8 June

The Potato Mystic

PI Member
May's ploy to outmaneuver the SNP and the ailing Labour party in the context of Brexit and a potential Scottish referendum.

===
Theresa May calls UK general election for 8 June

Theresa May has called a snap general election to be held on 8 June, despite repeatedly claiming she was against the idea of an early vote.

In a surprise statement outside Downing street, the prime minister said: “After the country voted to leave the EU, Britain needed certainty, stability and strong leadership. Since I became prime minister the government has delivered precisely that.”

She claimed Labour and the other opposition parties had opposed her. “The country is coming together but Westminster is not. Labour have threatened to vote against the final agreement we reach. The Lib Dems have said they want to grind the business of government to a standstill. Unelected members of the House of Lords have vowed to fight us every step of the way.”

May said she was laying down a motion in the House of Commons that will require two-thirds of MPs to back it.

The announcement came as a huge surprise, causing massive speculation on Tuesday morning.

Robert Hayward, the Conservative peer and election expert, said: “This is a massive surprise to everyone but the very closest confidants, even in the Tory party. There will be many very worried Labour MPs and some pleased Lib Dem candidates.”

Read On Theresa May calls UK general election for 8 June

Dublin 4

Donator
PI Member
Premium Account
Best of Luck to UKIP & all Leave Candidates.

Well done Theresa, let's hope you crush the Goldman Sachs / EU Rapefactory Enemies of Ireland, Britain & Europe.

The Potato Mystic

PI Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's Tories versus the SNP, the UK versus the Scots. I actually suspected events would lead to this once May flatly refused Sturgeon's referendum and there was no give there. An election is an obvious way in cutting that albatross away from her neck- although the physical spectacle of her actually announcing the thing is always startling.

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator
PI Member
Premium Account
It's Tories versus the SNP, the UK versus the Scots. I actually suspected events would lead to this once May flatly refused Sturgeon's referendum and there was no give there. An election is an obvious way in cutting that albatross away from her neck- although the physical spectacle of her actually announcing the thing is always startling.

It's a high risk strategy. Cameron played this game and lost with Brexit. Now May is trying it again to silence the SNP.

D

Deleted member 166

Non Registered Member
Best of Luck to UKIP & all Leave Candidates.

Well done Theresa, let's hope you crush the Goldman Sachs / EU Rapefactory Enemies of Ireland, Britain & Europe.
You think Theresa May is opposed to the likes of Goldman Sachs??

Think again.

The Potato Mystic

PI Member
It's a high risk strategy. Cameron played this game and lost with Brexit. Now May is trying it again to silence the SNP.
I don't think it's that high risk. She'll be as high as a kite and triumphalist if she beats the Labour party by a stomping majority. And that's the trajectory she's on. The unionist press will ensure that and only that will clog the headlines.

The SNP are a bit too successful. They are bound to have some seepage and that's enough material to pretend it's some kind of endorsement of May which will put the Scots on the defensive.

UKIP haven't a snowballs.

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator
PI Member
Premium Account
I don't think it's that high risk. She'll be as high as a kite and triumphalist if she beats the Labour party by a stomping majority. And that's the trajectory she's on. The unionist press will ensure that and only that will clog the headlines.

The SNP are a bit too successful. They are bound to have some seepage and that's enough material to pretend it's some kind of endorsement of May which will put the Scots on the defensive.

UKIP haven't a snowballs.

I don't know. I have quite a few FB friends from Scotland and they are all seeing this as a de facto referendum on independence. A lot of excitement at the prospect.

The Potato Mystic

PI Member
I don't know. I have quite a few FB friends from Scotland and they are all seeing this as a de facto referendum on independence. A lot of excitement at the prospect.
May was never endorsed as PM so her strategy was always in the shadows. Now with an election, May will have won her election standing over the body of the Labour Party with the optics of a new, dazzling mandate. And what are the Scots gonna do? UDI this? That would be very nice.

But the reality is they're gonna do nada. And I haven't even talked about how a potential "Cold Turkey" independence would spook parts of the Scottish electorate.

Dublin 4

Donator
PI Member
Premium Account
You think Theresa May is opposed to the likes of Goldman Sachs??

Think again.
Max - I love ya to bits n' all that but completely eff off.

Totally eff off with that.

Theresa played a blinder getting that A50 pushed through in order to wreck the Goldman Sachs / EU Project.

I know people high up in Brexit who were more worried about Theresa than some of the Posters here were- I told them not to worry & I knew she'd get A50 through.

Theresa is a very, very good Human Being & as much as I support Irish Unity I know that she will do what is doable for our people in the 6 which is of some comfort to me.

I know people who know Herself- she damaged the Rapefactory with glee.

Now please- I'm trying to have my Lunch...

Top Bottom