Hot The Ultimate Politics.ie thread

gerhard dengler

PI Member
I now check in to Politics.ie less and less. The rate of thread growth has slowed considerably and PI is now more abreast of current affairs. It looks like posters are sick of the p.ie mods and their childish behaviour.

If PI could tone down some of the thread titles it would attract even more posters.
It looks pretty quiet over there for sure. Especially when compared to pre-Baxter days (and it was getting quiet even then).

I visited there today and put up a couple of comments on a rugby thread. There is little or nothing else of interest over there. Still several posters using multi accounts there (presumably with the permission of the mods).

jmcc

PI Member
It looks pretty quiet over there for sure. Especially when compared to pre-Baxter days (and it was getting quiet even then).
There's always a bit of a post-Christmas slow-down but this does seem different. Apart from Brexit, there's little happening in Ireland at the moment in terms of politics.

I visited there today and put up a couple of comments on a rugby thread. There is little or nothing else of interest over there. Still several posters using multi accounts there (presumably with the permission of the mods).
There's an unusual linguistic correlation between the posting style of a particular sockpuppet (banned there and here) and one of the clique members. The appearance of IPO did split some of the clique posting activity across two sites. But they are not generally high volume posters and IPO is more a kind of Facebook group or multi-user blog than a forum. Losing Cruimh to IPO was no loss for P.ie in terms of interactions. His DUPness, anti-Irish and anti-Catholic posts seem to be as ignored on IPO as they are on P.ie. Losing posters with whom others actively debated and chatted is far worse for a site. The Baxter influence on P.ie has been problematic and some of the new mods perpetuated that influence. This may be a major factor in the decline of posting on P.ie. There may be an uptick in posting levels with Brexit events and the upcoming Euro/Local elections but the moderation will have a major effect on the rate.

atkin8

PI Member
There's always a bit of a post-Christmas slow-down but this does seem different. Apart from Brexit, there's little happening in Ireland at the moment in terms of politics.

There's an unusual linguistic correlation between the posting style of a particular sockpuppet (banned there and here) and one of the clique members. The appearance of IPO did split some of the clique posting activity across two sites. But they are not generally high volume posters and IPO is more a kind of Facebook group or multi-user blog than a forum. Losing Cruimh to IPO was no loss for P.ie in terms of interactions. His DUPness, anti-Irish and anti-Catholic posts seem to be as ignored on IPO as they are on P.ie. Losing posters with whom others actively debated and chatted is far worse for a site. The Baxter influence on P.ie has been problematic and some of the new mods perpetuated that influence. This may be a major factor in the decline of posting on P.ie. There may be an uptick in posting levels with Brexit events and the upcoming Euro/Local elections but the moderation will have a major effect on the rate.
The standard of posting on immigration threads compared to boards.ie is better despite all the mods on that site . The standard message from mods is 'dont be a dickhead ' .

jmcc

PI Member
The standard of posting on immigration threads compared to boards.ie is better despite all the mods on that site . The standard message from mods is 'dont be a dickhead ' .
The Boards.ie Politics section is an illustration of what happens when too many of the wrong type are made moderators. P.ie is on the cusp of this kind of collapse. If too many high volume posters get pissed off with infractions then they will reduce their posting rates. When that kind of thing happens, you get an IPO situation.

gerhard dengler

PI Member
Given the drop in posting volumes at politics.ie starting in mid 2018, it would have been reasonable to expect more message volume on other sites such as politicalirish.com

Has that increase materialised here?

GodsDog

Staff member
PI Member
Given the drop in posting volumes at politics.ie starting in mid 2018, it would have been reasonable to expect more message volume on other sites such as politicalirish.com

There seems to be a steady increase in activity here, but not that many migrated from p.ie in the end,
Evidently they couldn't handle not having automatic mod protection here.
All their comfortable political viewpoints were open to scrutiny and attack.
Frightening prospects for the average p.ie hole status quo gatekeeper!

Saul Goodman

PI Member
Blokesbloke is posting away on IPO, P.ie allowed him to be bullied off the site.

I always said the moderation standards of P.ie would be its death knell.
There seems to be a steady increase in activity here, but not that many migrated from p.ie in the end,
Evidently they couldn't handle not having automatic mod protection here.
All their comfortable political viewpoints were open to scrutiny and attack.
Frightening prospects for the average p.ie hole status quo gatekeeper!
currently cookiemonster and livingstone are defending a 10yr old boy dressed in drag dancing for homosexuals in a club Facepalm

D

Deleted member 163

Non Registered Member

I believe it is busier. We have gained many posters but we also lost some as well. The site is more balanced than it used to be imvo.
I feel that in general, these types of sites have seen their hayday thiugh as there is other avenues like fb and utube, twitter and instagram.

Since P.ie started about 15 years ago plus, I imagine a fairly shocking percentage of posters have died.

The Field Marshal

PI Member
I believe it is busier. We have gained many posters but we also lost some as well. The site is more balanced than it used to be imvo.
I feel that in general, these types of sites have seen their hayday thiugh as there is other avenues like fb and utube, twitter and instagram.

Since P.ie started about 15 years ago plus, I imagine a fairly shocking percentage of posters have died.
I disagree.
The median age of p.ie posters is 39 over the period.
Mortality rates for under 60.s are low.

B ut a shocking number of p.ie posters stopped posting because of bullying and intimidation by vicious malicious moderators who disliked real freedom of expression.

Top Bottom