• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

The Uilleann Pipes - One of the World's Great Musical Instruments

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator
Premium Account
The Uilleann Pipes is an instrument that has been described as "ridiculously overdeveloped." Be that as it may, there are few instruments on this earth that will make the blood boil more quickly. To get us going, here is none other than Séamus Ennis himself, and then a program from TG4 which explains the instrument in detail.

I might just say that I was even more deeply touched by the expression on this Irishman's face. A true Irish face expressing true Irish emotions. And the movements of his hands. Have we lost all of that forever? I fear that we may. This is horror of our times. We are all becoming bastardized Yanks. I used to fear that we were becoming too Englishised - but the fact is that a true Englishman is becoming as rare as a true Gael.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tadhg Gaelach

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator
Premium Account
No uilleann pipes in this - but you can never have too much of Séamus Ennis,

OP
OP
Tadhg Gaelach

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator
Premium Account
Johnny Doran was one of the great Traveller pipers. He lived his whole life in horse drawn caravans, playing the pipes at the local fairs around the country and at weddings and other social events of the Gael. In January 1948 his caravan was halted beside a wall in Dublin's Cornmarket, when high winds knocked the wall down on the caravan. Johnny later died of his injuries. He is still an idol of all young pipers.

OP
OP
Tadhg Gaelach

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator
Premium Account
Johnny Doran's brother Felix is equally revered among pipers. Here he is being interviewed by RTÉ in 1967.

The Uilleann Pipes is an instrument that has been described as "ridiculously overdeveloped." Be that as it may, there are few instruments on this earth that will make the blood boil more quickly. To get us going, here is none other than Séamus Ennis himself, and then a program from TG4 which explains the instrument in detail.

I might just say that I was even more deeply touched by the expression on this Irishman's face. A true Irish face expressing true Irish emotions. And the movements of his hands. Have we lost all of that forever? I fear that we may. This is horror of our times. We are all becoming bastardized Yanks. I used to fear that we were becoming too Englishised - but the fact is that a true Englishman is becoming as rare as a true Gael.
This tune would make your hair stand on end