Political Irish | The Irish Politics & Current Affairs Website

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Before posting anything about the COVID-19 virus, please read this first Click Here

The Tuam tank: another myth about evil Ireland

• Thread starter Deleted member 2643
  • Start date

Vote 4 Change

PI Member
This is the type of activism we need!
These Irish students should be holding up banners in Eyre Square shouting “Smash the student rental cartels, affordable student accommodation now”. Let’s see if the anti-Irish racism baiting NGO’s can compete with that?

Volatire

PI Member
Really? So how come Ireland had the highest rate of confinement as a % of population of any country in the World Including Stalin’s Russia - many locked away for moral transgressions.
Or consider the status of married women. Until the 1980s wives were legally their husband’s chattels - property like his cattle and horses. And of course the best 20th century had the Kerry Babies scandal

You are being quite unfair to Stalin, whose gulags normally had mortality rates of only 2-5%.

Ireland achieved post-natal infant annual mortality rates as high 62%.

"The Bessborough statistics suggest that infants who were in a mother and baby home without their mother may have been at higher risk of death. This would appear to have been a factor in Bethany, which recorded an infant mortality rate of 62% in 1943."

To me, anything above 10% is an extermination camp.

Regrettably, the statement "This country ran extermination camps for illegitimate children" is a balanced, fair and reasonable assessment in the light of this report.

blue velvet

PI Member
RIP Ann Lovett

The Statue of the Virgin
at Granard Speaks

by Paula Meehan

It can be bitter here at times like this,
November wind sweeping across the border.
Its seeds of ice would cut you to the quick.
The whole town tucked up safe and dreaming,
even wild things gone to earth, and I
stuck up here in this grotto, without as much as
star or planet to ease my vigil.

Weapons Grade trolling Sir

Rose

PI Member
H
Weapons Grade trolling Sir

You are being quite unfair to Stalin, whose gulags normally had mortality rates of only 2-5%.

"The Bessborough statistics suggest that infants who were in a mother and baby home without their mother may have been at higher risk of death. This would appear to have been a factor in Bethany, which recorded an infant mortality rate of 62% in 1943."

To me, anything above 15% is an extermination camp.

Regrettably, the statement "This country ran extermination camps for illegitimate children" is a balanced, fair and reasonable assessment in the light of this report.
They were called workhouses.

blue velvet

PI Member
Varadkar dosen't even try to hide his corruption these days. He re-admitted the 3 FG senators who were expelled from the party because of golf-gate, knowing that the media would be having an orgy of Catholic bashing yesterday.

Maybe the most cynical person ever to hold political office here, and I'm including Haughey, Ahern, Ivor Callely etc.

Last edited:

Vengeful Glutton

PI Member
Varadkar dosen't even try to hide his corruption these days. He re-admitted the 3 FG senators who were expelled from the party because of golf-gate, knowing that the media would be having an orgy of Catholic bashing yesterday.

Maybe the most cynical person ever to hold political office here, and I'm including Haughey, Ahern, Ivor Callely etc.

Shrewd or cynical?

He's looking down his nose at us all.

Vengeful Glutton

PI Member

To me, anything above 10% is an extermination camp.

lol

Vengeful Glutton

PI Member

“There were about 500 people on the webinar yesterday but there’s thousands of survivors in Ireland. We’re told there’s about 57,000 living survivors so it’s a very small minority of people.”

Anyone know the number of women who were placed in these institutions?

57,000 sounds like a very high survival rate for "extermination camps".

Anglophile

PI Member
The rampant misogyny in priest-ridden, un-Christian, un-caring, Ireland has to stop.

Now.:mad:

Top Bottom