Welcome to Political Irish

We believe in free legal speech, fair play and good discussion. Sign up and join in!

Register Log in

The State of Macro part two

cyberianpan

PI Member
On another site I alluded to some of the constraints of macroeconomics

http://www.politics.ie/forum/economy/241775-state-macro.html

I intend posting a deeper thread outlining some predicates that underly those constraints.  I will get to that in coming days

For now though I'll highlight some of what is known:

1) Microeconomics : fundamental linkage of micro to macro will never be possible
2) Determinism : aspects of macroeconomics are wholly indeterminate, a least some of the deterministic aspects of macro will result in intractable problems
3) Human liberty: free markets are a necessary but not sufficient condition for human liberty
4) Prosperity: free markets are the best known method for highest mean and median prosperity
5) Data: data on many aspects of the markets remains poor and governments ahould intervene to ensure better conformed data is captured and made a public good
6) Irrational Business Cycle deflation : Keynesian intervention, i.e. increased fiscal spending,  has its merits here as does (9)
7) Endogenous bubble pop: ought to result in a speedy and necessay contraction of both the real and fiscal economies
8) Exogenous bubble pop or exogenous business cycle irrationality: requires case by case analysis and international co-ordination
9) Monetary Policy: coventional interest rate targetting policies as well as exotic polices such as quantitative easing need to be considered
10) Macroprudential regulation of financial services firms: needed for insurers, credit institutions and capital markets. This work requires global co-ordination and a staggering amount of new data collection

Cyp

seabhcan

PI Member
I'm a firm believer in Keynes. His theories of money are only resisted by those who stand to benefit personally and short term by the failures of economics.

Top Bottom