• Welcome to Political Irish.

Why not open a free account and view the site without Adverts.

Please note, for first registration you must not use a VPN, VPN registrations will be refused entry.

Click Here to sign up!

The state of Irish Journalism - Lets call them out

Sep 27, 2019
This screed exhibits a striking similarity to the work of CNN in the US.

In both cases, groups are categorized, even slurred, without being given the right of reply.
Note that the Examiner article offers not ONE quote from a member of any of the groups being demeaned.
It's atrocious journalism. The authors give unlimited space to sundry enemies of the groups, to slur them at will. That's essentially what the article is.

It's very similar to the Fake News treatment of the nationalist wing of the Republican Party in the US. CNN obsesses for hours about Marjorie TG etc, but never has the integrity to ask her what she thinks.

Older readers will remember that this is a reset of how Republicanism was treated by RTE etc three or four decades ago.
Countless programs and presenters speculated, often quite stupidly, on what Republicans were thinking.
No one ever asked them.

They won't ask anyone on the right, because they know well they will be called out for the traitors that they are......to add further insult to injury they interview agenda pushers who claim to represent "ordinary" people, who do no such thing. "Fingal communities against Racism" being a prime example.

whyfillaw

PI Member
Aug 3, 2018
some people are very late coming to the conclusion that most on this forum came to months back.
How much longer will we have to wait for the public to Turn on MSM especially ORE TEE EEE and the numpties like Dudsey Baloney, Joe "Wash you Hands" Duffy , advice/command every 10 mins on his show.

Jan 1, 2020
They won't ask anyone on the right, because they know well they will be called out for the traitors that they are......to add further insult to injury they interview agenda pushers who claim to represent "ordinary" people, who do no such thing. "Fingal communities against Racism" being a prime example.
Which reminds me of a recent Journal article about the border situation in America. The person they spoke to, and quoted throughout the piece, was from an organization whose main goal was to down play the problems on the border. The problems with journalism annoy me more than anything else, as bad journalism is not a subjective thing, it's objective. People who believe that modern journalism has any credibility are genuinely the types of people who can convince themselves that 2+2=5. There's something deeply fundamentally wrong with their brains when something so apparent isn't apparent to them.

whyfillaw

PI Member
Aug 3, 2018
It seems to me that all the times that the Data Protection Commissioner gets into " news " is for the failure of the office to perform its duties as laid down in the legislation that goes with the office.We have a terrible record of Implementation and enforcing laws ,rules, regulations in this state.
The ground work is never done , we build on "hopes, dreams, chance" that it will all turn out ok.
The office is not properly financed, staffed , equipped with the most modern technology or the most suitably qualified personnel to do the job.
Very much the same as the social workers, psychologists, psychiatry, one person supposed to do the workload of 4 people which is not possible.
The DPC probably is open 9-5 mon - fri and all other business is just on an answering and recording device.

jpc

PI Member
May 7, 2018
it may explain why DUP MPs seldom get on Matt Cooper's Biased ,GloboHomo ,LibRetard ,Virtue signalling ,Woke radio show.I would simply refuse to go on due to the presenter's "Personality Disorder" which has ruined what was once a great show with Éamonn Dunphy.
As Michael Healy Rae reminded him as he put Cooper back in his box a year or so ago.
"Matt I don't answer to you or the media.
I answer to the people who voted for me"
Or words very close to that.
The scofflaw stopped pretty fast after that reminder.

jpc

PI Member
May 7, 2018
Which reminds me of a recent Journal article about the border situation in America. The person they spoke to, and quoted throughout the piece, was from an organization whose main goal was to down play the problems on the border. The problems with journalism annoy me more than anything else, as bad journalism is not a subjective thing, it's objective. People who believe that modern journalism has any credibility are genuinely the types of people who can convince themselves that 2+2=5. There's something deeply fundamentally wrong with their brains when something so apparent isn't apparent to them.
Very small media pool where to differentiate yourself from the official narrative or the group narrative is to threaten your job security.
There's no mainstream media for honest critical thinking or discussion.
A small diminishing pool of very smug piranha is where things stand now!

whyfillaw

PI Member
Aug 3, 2018
Very small media pool where to differentiate yourself from the official narrative or the group narrative is to threaten your job security.
There's no mainstream media for honest critical thinking or discussion.
A small diminishing pool of very smug piranha is where things stand now!
it is all groupthink and all journos and media companies all using the same "Communications Consultancies".
No one is brave enough to think for themselves or do their own thing.
It is like you said " all brainless lemmings, automatons " consulting the same PR companies, the same legal firms, the same auditors etc.
There is no distinction in the media in Ireland , all are afraid of their shadows for "legal reasons".
Commercial /Local radio is even worse, they don't discuss anything of National Interest in case "the station has to pay legal fees in fighting off court cases etc".
The main reason why I don't ever listen to local radio, Galway Bayfm is shyte and ruined by ads.
I just listen now to internet radio apps on my tablet , without the ads menace every 5 mins. Kiss Classical is pretty good and tolerable.The choice on the radio apps is pretty good with all internet radio ,local and national stations listed , about 50 stations in all .I listen via my tablet and it's good to at least have a choice.

Last edited:

jpc

PI Member
May 7, 2018
And on the subject of journalistic rigor!
Or lack thereof internationally.

Sep 15, 2020
Sep 15, 2020
it is all groupthink and all journos and media companies all using the same "Communications Consultancies".
No one is brave enough to think for themselves or do their own thing.
It is like you said " all brainless lemmings, automatons " consulting the same PR companies, the same legal firms, the same auditors etc.
There is no distinction in the media in Ireland , all are afraid of their shadows for "legal reasons".
Commercial /Local radio is even worse, they don't discuss anything of National Interest in case "the station has to pay legal fees in fighting off court cases etc".
The main reason why I don't ever listen to local radio, Galway Bayfm is shyte and ruined by ads.
I just listen now to internet radio apps on my tablet , without the ads menace every 5 mins. Kiss Classical is pretty good and tolerable.The choice on the radio apps is pretty good with all internet radio ,local and national stations listed , about 50 stations in all .I listen via my tablet and it's good to at least have a choice.
I got my folks an internet radio for Chrimbo. They mainly listen to RTE on it 😂