Political Irish | The Irish Politics & Current Affairs Website

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Before posting anything about the COVID-19 virus, please read this first Click Here

The state of Irish Journalism - Lets call them out

El Chaval.

PI Member
In any normal democracy this would lead to an inquiry, dismissals, and the collapse of the Govt.
The media in Ireland neither covered the story nor denied it.

Anderson

PI Member
Sorcha Pollak

I'm an Irish journalist currently based in Dublin working for the Irish Times with a specific focus on migration and the refugee crisis. I write a weekly series called 'New to the Parish' about people who have moved to Ireland in the past decade. I have also written a book around immigration in Ireland called: 'New to the Parish: Stories of Love, War and Adventure from Ireland's Immigrants'. I've lived and worked in the Amazon jungle, Delhi, Paris, Seville and London and moved back to Ireland in late 2013. I speak Irish (Gaelic), Spanish and French.

Journalistic objectivity is a considerable notion within the discussion of journalistic professionalism. Journalistic objectivity may refer to fairness, disinterestedness, factuality, and nonpartisanship, but most often encompasses all of these qualities. Guess you fail Conor.

~Despite the text above, I do not think I have ever seen Sorcha Pollak ever look at both sides of the argument regarding her reporting of migration and refugees.

It seems her role is principally to be a mouthpiece for immigration and to push propaganda, which does not meet the very first line of the above text, Journalistic objectivity is a considerable notion within the discussion of journalistic professionalism.

Further, calling out the President of the United States as Racist just highlights the lack of objectivity or nonpartisanship of a journalist.

Screenshot-13.md.png

Screenshot-14.md.png

Tadhg Gaelach

PI Member

The state of Irish Journalism

Irish Journalism is at an all-time low, the press commonly referred to as the gutter press are no longer adhering to their ethical standards and code of conduct as subscribed within the quote above. Ireland is not unique in this, all over the world, the press which is mostly controlled by a select few, are complicit in coverups, government agendas, fake news, and other character traits that do not adhere to good journalistic values and morals. Like the world, Ireland does seem to still have some Journalists who rise above the parapets and make a stand often at the expense of their career. Gemma O Doherty, Nial Boylan are just some of the Journalists who have continued to fight for justice or do the right thing.

Sadly Ireland seems to have more of the worst types of Journalism than good, this thread is to highlight bad Journalism.

It's nothing new. They might even have been worse during the war in the Occupied Six Counties, when they pumped out whatever copy their MI5 handlers supplied them with - without question.

DrPat2

PI Member
Sorcha Pollak

Journalistic objectivity is a considerable notion within the discussion of journalistic professionalism. Journalistic objectivity may refer to fairness, disinterestedness, factuality, and nonpartisanship, but most often encompasses all of these qualities. Guess you fail Conor.

~Despite the text above, I do not think I have ever seen Sorcha Pollak ever look at both sides of the argument regarding her reporting of migration and refugees.

It seems her role is principally to be a mouthpiece for immigration and to push propaganda, which does not meet the very first line of the above text, Journalistic objectivity is a considerable notion within the discussion of journalistic professionalism.

Further, calling out the President of the United States as Racist just highlights the lack of objectivity or nonpartisanship of a journalist.

Screenshot-13.md.png

Screenshot-14.md.png
Interesting post. I suppose Pollak could argue that she is a 'campaigning' journalist. If that was made clear then her pieces could be read in that light. As we all know, The Irish Times is well-known that sort of stuff - campaigning on all sorts of so-call fashionable 'liberal/left' causes - often a 'yawnfest' for objectivity, imo.

Reactions: jpc

Vote 4 Change

PI Member
Interesting post. I suppose Pollak could argue that she is a 'campaigning' journalist. If that was made clear then her pieces could be read in that light. As we all know, The Irish Times is well-known that sort of stuff - campaigning on all sorts of so-call fashionable 'liberal/left' causes - often a 'yawnfest' for objectivity, imo.
Anything that turns a profit. The African Irish Times subscribers And government handouts for pushing their agendas are needed to keep the profits flowing

Kershaw

PI Member

blue velvet

PI Member
Colette Browne going attack dog on 'anti-choicer' Norma Foley, but playing helpless puppy on Roderic O'Gorman.

She's one of the best examples of media corruption.

If the politician supports my views, play dead. If they oppose my views, go junkyard dog.

TW Tone

PI Member
I don't know his politics, expect they're not mine, but one of the few journalists in Ireland is Tighe, the fellow who broke the John Delaney story.

Reactions: BSA

bells of shandon

PI Member
It is common Knowledge that Irish Media, Print ,Radio and RTE are but the tame lapdogs of the Regime and act as their Propaganda mouthpiece. Promoting the Regime and suppressing any news detrimental to the Gombeens.
The only thing the MSM understand is their pay cheques and privilege.
We can use the well proven strategy of the old Land League, Boycott them.
Do not buy Irish Newspapers, do not pay the TV License, do not listen to Irish propaganda radio
Money talks, no money keeps silent and goes bust or changes.
You can be active even from your rocking chair and make Irish MSM wither away on the poisonous Vine of lies and deceit.

Last edited:
What? 'Justine McCarthy is Adjunct Professor of Journalism at the University of Limerick.'
What is happening to our universities when any old idiot is made a professor; no requirement for a Doctorate first anymore! Centres of learning they are not!
This McCarthy one is paralleled by only one female colleague in her hatred and contempt for all things Irish - Olivia Westbrit O'Leary.

jpc

PI Member
A lot of whataboutery.
Funnily enough!
And getting Trump in as well!
And her attacks on free speech or dissenting opinion.
Oh dear!

Last edited:
Top Bottom