• Before posting anything about the COVID-19 virus, please read this first Click Here

The Slow death of Politics.ie

TheKing

King of Fine Gael
Donator
PI Member
P.ie goes from bad to worse.

They have now dumped Blacknight as their hosting company and jumped on board with some American hosting company. I have questioned this over on P.ie, have they checked that the company they are now with has adopted the US/EU safe Harbour policies that are required before moving data from the EU outside of the union?

So far, no reply from Baxter, I guess he is busy checking this out himself after I altered him to the rules.

TheKing

King of Fine Gael
Donator
PI Member
Baxter, thought Privacy Shield and GDPR were the same things, he had a go at me about discussing GDPR. Fancy that, being told off and ignored because the site is breaking EU law.

Had to point out to him they were two different things.

darkhorse3

PI Member
Bigger isn't always better, and when you have a very large amount of data being accessed simultaneously by multiple users and processes then response time is better served by spreading your data across multiple volumes. This allows not simply simultaneous accesses by multiple heads but also allows separate channels to be used. Your bank account data will reside typically on drives with a capacity as low as 3 gigs.
True but this is not twitter or facebook - this is p.ie we are talking about
With perhaps at most 50 concurrent users at any one time doing some fairly basic web page browsing
We are at the lower end of the spectrum in terms of site load

SwordOfStCatherine

Staff member
Premium
PI Member
I wonder will it stay up now or go on the blink again. All very strange.

gerhard dengler

PI Member
Premium
Baxter, thought Privacy Shield and GDPR were the same things, he had a go at me about discussing GDPR. Fancy that, being told off and ignored because the site is breaking EU law.

Had to point out to him they were two different things.

Baxter's very tetchy.

After another site crash the other day I pointed out to Baxter that there were problems with the ignore function.
Baxter immediately replied that there were no problems with the ignore function. He/she even had the audacity to sent me a screen shot showing that the function was provided.

I had to point out to Baxter that function may be available to an administrator/moderator, but that it wasn't available to ordinary account usernames.
In the end I had to provide some screen shots to prove my point.

Maybe he/she would prefer users not to highlight that the site functions don;t work?

2pacs

Donator
PI Member
Premium
Baxter's very tetchy.

After another site crash the other day I pointed out to Baxter that there were problems with the ignore function.
Baxter immediately replied that there were no problems with the ignore function. He/she even had the audacity to sent me a screen shot showing that the function was provided.

I had to point out to Baxter that function may be available to an administrator/moderator, but that it wasn't available to ordinary account usernames.
In the end I had to provide some screen shots to prove my point.

Maybe he/she would prefer users not to highlight that the site functions don;t work?
what software are you using bull to make these videos? Fancy making a few for laughs myself.

Yours are fantastic by the way.

True but this is not twitter or facebook - this is p.ie we are talking about
With perhaps at most 50 concurrent users at any one time doing some fairly basic web page browsing
We are at the lower end of the spectrum in terms of site load
The geometry of things would push seek times up. I don't have experience outside highly structured databases with fixed-length fields and the ability to thereby address specific fields by offset rather than having to read an entire record to get to the required data. Also, it appears that the software reads the entire thread rather than, for instance, the page required.

I take your point about there generally being a low number of human users, but the bots and scrapers are likely hammering the database beyond the capabilities of mere humans.

I should add that while I have worked alongside storage management and capacity management experts, that side of things looks like a black art to me.

P.ie goes from bad to worse.

They have now dumped Blacknight as their hosting company and jumped on board with some American hosting company. I have questioned this over on P.ie, have they checked that the company they are now with has adopted the US/EU safe Harbour policies that are required before moving data from the EU outside of the union?

So far, no reply from Baxter, I guess he is busy checking this out himself after I altered him to the rules.
You've been crying wolf for months over there.

SwordOfStCatherine

Staff member
Premium
PI Member
The geometry of things would push seek times up. I don't have experience outside highly structured databases with fixed-length fields and the ability to thereby address specific fields by offset rather than having to read an entire record to get to the required data. Also, it appears that the software reads the entire thread rather than, for instance, the page required.

I take your point about there generally being a low number of human users, but the bots and scrapers are likely hammering the database beyond the capabilities of mere humans.

I should add that while I have worked alongside storage management and capacity management experts, that side of things looks like a black art to me.
Were you Des over there?

TheKing

King of Fine Gael
Donator
PI Member
You've been crying wolf for months over there.
Crying wolf? I just point out their flaws with the site.

Baxter is a clueless hobbyist.

I've been looking at the new hosting provider, the cheapest dedicated server is $99.99 per months
Dedicated Server Hosting | Managed Dedicated Server Hosting - Hivelocity Hosting

Assuming P.ie is being hosted on the cheapest dedicated server the site would need to turn a profit of over €1000 euro per year to stop Monte being out of pocket.

The idea for him originally was to make money from sites like P.ie.

I have no idea if it is making enough money alone from advertisements but it would seem that it's going to need a lot more posters than it currently has to make more than 1k per year to stop monte being out of pocket.

I should also mention that a dedicated server really needs to have someone on hand all the time for any problems that arise. You usually don't get free site backups so it would require constant backing up of data to avoid data loss. Will Monte keep DJ on tap, this will naturally add more costs to run the site.

Last edited:
Top Bottom