• Before posting anything about the COVID-19 virus, please read this first Click Here

The Slow death of Politics.ie

Ted

PI Member
The Politics.ie debacle has to be the worst managed "upgrade" ever. There was no plan and no forethought, just make it up as you go along.
I presume DJwhatsit has by now walked away, showered and suitably distanced himself from the mess. He was unwise to have used his real name.

Any trust in the site has now been thoroughly shredded and the only intelligent way forward is a clean slate.

jmcc

PI Member
The Politics.ie debacle has to be the worst managed "upgrade" ever. There was no plan and no forethought, just make it up as you go along.
It did seem like a bit of a clusterfsck. But then the site had been neglected for years.

Truthisfree

PI Member
I'm not sure why they did not start with a clean sheet again and create an accessible archive copy of the old site. It's on waybackmachine anyway.

D

Deleted member 163

Non Registered Member
Social media does have an effect on politics and other things. P.ie back in the day when it got mentions on MSM was having an influence. Politics is the most discussed subject on social media. All you have to do is google Social media effect on politics to get the answer. In here no, almost everything seems to be an argument not a debate.
Well I would agree with you when you point out that it was back in the day, then P.ie did have an influence because at the time fora were cutting edge. Not anymore. Now it is short videos, we have progressed. Absolutely nobody is having their opinion swayed by someone on either here or P.ie.

In fact that is most likely why the quality posters have long ago departed P.ie.

As regards here, a good argument can be made that the real potential objective is to bring people of similar viewpoint together and to allow their voice to be heard whereas it would be silenced elsewhere.

But to think either site will influence anybody, that is indeed delusion imho.

Catalpa

PI Member
I get:

Hmmm... cannot reach this page

Try this

Details
But what gets me is I could not access the site for days and when I finally could I saw that posters had been happily online doing what they do best!

Weird!

It looks like at this stage the best roadmap would be to start again with a clean sheet on a new site

Its a pity to lose the archives but if that's the price to be paid then so be it....

Tried getting on it yesterday and it went to the site but the message was that they are carrying out two or so days worth of repairs. Which they have been working on for a few weeks now. Since yesterday evening my browser just times out. So they are probably working on it not the first time its happened. Either way refugees like myself are appearing here.

jmcc

PI Member
Might be easier just to start the whole thing from strach on a brand new web address and server
It could be done. If those posts from P.ie were deleted without backups then it is nothing less than cultural and historical vandalism. P.ie's main asset was its depth of historical posts. They covered some of the main political and economic events of the last fifteen years. A new site would not have that critical mass of posts and posters.

The hardware and software costs form only a small part of the problem. The new site would have to attract high volume posters with credibility. This doesn't mean the Clown College cliques of P.ie but rather the kind of posters who encourage and facilitate discussions. Sub groups, as with P.ie would have to be made a paid feature. The site would also require funding until it could make enough to break even. And there will always be the tricky question of mods.

Here's an idea
Buy a flipping new hard drive
6TB for 149 quid at Currys
or 10TB for €300 if you have money to throw around
Bigger isn't always better, and when you have a very large amount of data being accessed simultaneously by multiple users and processes then response time is better served by spreading your data across multiple volumes. This allows not simply simultaneous accesses by multiple heads but also allows separate channels to be used. Your bank account data will reside typically on drives with a capacity as low as 3 gigs.

Top Bottom