Welcome to Political Irish

We believe in free legal speech, fair play and good discussion. Sign up and join in!

Register Log in

The Shining

subversive writer

PI Member
Thread for discussion and media relating to the 1980 film, The Shining

🔹️🔹️🔹️🔹️🔹️🔹️🔹️🔹️🔹️🔹️🔹️🔹️🔹️🔹️🔹️🔹️

Easily one of the greatest horror and thriller films of all time. I never get sick of watching it and look forward to having a go at the board game.

The shining. Otherwise known as growing up in small town Ireland in the 80s

The Field Marshal

PI Member
Stephen King apparently wasn't too happy with Jack Nicholson getting the role in the film, something to do with Nicholson been too predictable as he had played the sane man gone crazy role in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest only a few years beforehand from what I remember.
And King was right.
Crazy Jack is predictable .
The film never worked for me being disjointed and without a coherent narrative.
It assumes the audience are all themselves nut jobs with an understanding of the nut job mindset.
Essentially it’s an essay in cinematic overindulgence at every level.

One emerges with a nasty hangover.

OP
DS86DS

DS86DS

Staff member
Donator
PI Member
Premium
Spatial awareness/ set design / hotel layout

OP
DS86DS

DS86DS

Staff member
Donator
PI Member
Premium
Rob Ager - Psychedelic Geometry in The Shining

OP
DS86DS

DS86DS

Staff member
Donator
PI Member
Premium
Some weird theory about the film been about Native Americans.

Conall Gulban

PI Member
Rob Ager - Psychedelic Geometry in The Shining
Saw your previous post which you deleted, Don't know if you were talking about Rob Agers takes or the Film itself but the genius of Kubrick was that all the unsettling elements in his films, especially from 2001 on are entirely subconscious, we're not supposed to notice them directly. Thats what so cool about it. Even pictures on a wall or the text written on some object in the frame is there to hit you directly in your subconscious. So much detail happens just outside your view or slightly beyond where your eyes are directed.
In the 60s Kubrick famously said in an interview that the most important book he ever read was The Codebreakers: The Story of Secret Writing' by David Kahn. This says it all I think.
I've found it on Pdf just now, looking forward to reading it!
http://1.droppdf.com/files/StVrm/the-codebreakers-david-kahn.pdf

Custard Surprise

PI Member
huge fan of Kubrick movies, also Ager's analysis. He's definitely one of my favourite youtubers. King was disgusted by what Kubrick did with the film. It was either a deleted scene or written in the script but there was supposed to be a yellow VW beetle in a car accident during the intro as Jack and his family drive past the emergency vehicles attending the scene. (The king novel describes Jack driving the beetle in the book so this was a not so subtle jab at King that Kubrick was going to diverge from the novels story).

Also tonnes of good stuff about moon landing and gold conspiracies. Kubrick was always leaving these subtle visual tricks in his movies like it was a game. Unsurprising for someone with a genius level IQ.

Karloff

PI Member
The king novel describes Jack driving the beetle in the book so this was a not so subtle jab at King that Kubrick was going to diverge from the novels story
The King Novel had stupid things like tree-animals coming to life, i am glad they didn't have that in the film - that it was more about fear and psychology than things going bump in the night. One example (maybe the only one, hmmmm Misery or Carrie perhaps too) where a King film is greater than the King novel imho.

Top Bottom