Political Irish | The Irish Politics & Current Affairs Website

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Before posting anything about the COVID-19 virus, please read this first Click Here

The Rediscovery of the Gaulish Language

OP
Tadhg Gaelach

Tadhg Gaelach

PI Member

parentheses

PI Member
I think some academics remarked that old Irish and Latin had a lot of similarities.

I think the theory is that many of the Italian tribes migrated from the proto-Celtic areas north of the Alps

OP
Tadhg Gaelach

Tadhg Gaelach

PI Member
I think some academics remarked that old Irish and Latin had a lot of similarities.

I think the theory is that many of the Italian tribes migrated from the proto-Celtic areas north of the Alps

Well, Celtic and Latin are the same Indo-European group called Itallo-Celtic. Greek is actually a different group - though the Romans liked to believe they were closer to Greek than Celtic. The Celts and the Latins seem to have moved into Europe from the Steppe in the same wave of invasion. The Greeks would have been a good bit earlier. The irony is that the Italic part of that wave was tiny compared to the Celts, and they stayed tiny for a very long time while the Celts dominated all of Central and Western Europe. Unfortunately for the Celts, the Romans began to learn the Greek methods of government and war.

Last edited:
Top Bottom