The rebels of 1916, Heroes or Foes?

Flamer

Political Irish
Threads
Listening to Niall Boylan on 4FM the other night and he was discussing the men and women from 1916. Nial believes the men of 1916 were not Heroes at all, and more or less fools that led innocent people to their deaths.

On the show`s Facebook page Niall had this to say today,

On today's show regular caller John hung up because Niall refused to apologise for his opinion on 1916. Niall doens't believe the men of 1916 were heroes. Should he apologise for his opinion on the matter? Get involved on 1850-410-494
And on twitter he had this to say

View: https://twitter.com/niallboylan4fm/status/710232020895600641

View: https://twitter.com/niallboylan4fm/status/710223088647069696

View: https://twitter.com/niallboylan4fm/status/710150045056770049

As Niall has rightly said, he is entitled to his opinion and I agree and accept that, in fact I dont want this thread to be about Niall but more about what he said.

Was 1916 a failure, and were the men and woman who bravely stood up for what they believed in nothing more than fools who led innocent people to their deaths?

Was it even worth it, all the deaths and sacrifices to remove the British from ruling us only to hand our powers to the EU 100 years later?

Dan Óg

Ui Máine
Staff member
Donator
PI Member
Threads
It was the height of foolishness.
A weak force taking on an infinitely stronger force in conventional warfare. They caused the deaths of 254 civilians. I doubt if they thought it was a good idea

bartypus

Political Irish
Threads
The whole issue with 1916 amuses me, its almost as if we are so desperate to celebrate something, for what its worth 1916 acheived nothing, ziltch, SFA.

We only became a Republic in 1949, FG sold us out for home rule and kept the queen.

Belgrade

Staff member
Donator
PI Member
Political Irish
Threads
It was a different time when people fought for what they believed in.

Regardless if you think they were foes or heroes, they bravely took on an Empire and knew they had little chance of winning and most likely would lose their lives.

For that I salute their bravery, they had something which has long since left the Irish.

Superhans

Site Admin
Staff member
Site Admin
Donator
Premium Account
Threads
Nial thrives on being outspoken, it`s what makes his show so popular, im not sure if he really thinks this or if its just good for ratings.

Dan Óg

Ui Máine
Staff member
Donator
PI Member
Threads
they bravely took on an Empire and knew they had little chance of winning and most likely would lose their lives.

What about the innocents they got killed?. Let's be real here.

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator
Premium Account
PI Member
Threads
Listening to Niall Boylan on 4FM the other night and he was discussing the men and women from 1916. Nial believes the men of 1916 were not Heroes at all, and more or less fools that led innocent people to their deaths.
You have to remember that Boylan is a shock jock who makes his money from pissing people off.

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator
Premium Account
PI Member
Threads
It was a different time when people fought for what they believed in.

Regardless if you think they were foes or heroes, they bravely took on an Empire and knew they had little chance of winning and most likely would lose their lives.

For that I salute their bravery, they had something which has long since left the Irish.

Alan and Vincent Ryan were as brave and committed to Ireland's sovereignty as anyone who went out in 1916. But, I fully agree that that is an exceedingly rare thing to find today. It really hit me this year how St. Patrick's Day has been turned into a most crass festival of money, and I really hate to think what Easter Week is going to be like.

Madam

Closed Account
Threads
But what does guilty mean in this sense? Guilty of patriotism?
If they were Patriotic they would have been loyal to the crown.
Ireland was never a united nation in any sense until the British took the country and made it part of the UK.

The rebels didn't agree with how the country was being run and decided they could do a better job themselves.

If today I decided to hold an armed rebellion against the current government, would I be patriotic or a home grown terrorists?

Top Bottom