The Privatisation of the unemployment service - Job Path

Danny Dyer`s Pants

PI Member
The state has quietly privatised the unemployment sector.

Now if you are unfortunate to find yourself employed you have to sign up to jobpath.

Jobpath is a new welfare job seeker scheme that replaced Intreo. You have to attend one on one interviews 3 times a week until you find a job.

Everything seems fine, that is until you discover what the government have done.

Instead of rolling this out to the social welfare offices across the country they have instead handed it all over to a private company called Turas Nua. According to reports this company works on commision to get people of the unemployment register, so good luck thinking a good qality job or training will be found for you!
DSP appoints Turas Nua to deliver JobPath services

http://turasnua.ie/content/view/News+-+DSP+appoints+Turas+Nua+to+provide+JobPath+services

April 2014: The Examiner, by Stephen Rogers: Fears over companies outsourcing JobPath | Irish Examiner

The Department of Social Protection has been given the green light to outsource the 1,000 roles required to run its job activation scheme, JobPath, to the private sector.

However, fears have been expressed that the organisations appointed will be operating on a commission basis and will only be interested in getting people into work or training which is unsuitable.

The Public Service Executive Union and the Civil Public and Services Union had opposed the plans and the matter had been forwarded to an arbitration board. It has ruled in favour of the department.

Tom Geraghty of the PSEU said the roles should have been kept within the public service. He said the private sector firms which will be appointed to run the service will be doing so on a “bounty basis” where they would simply be rewarded for getting people off the live register and into jobs and training which may not be suitable.

He said that, until now, local employment services had done a good job in providing the long-term unemployed with training and assistance.

The CPSU had expressed concerns in advance of the arbitration board’s decision that “the political imperative that may sway the arbitration decision against us in this matter, given that this particular outsourcing proposal was a troika demand, linked to the final tranche of bailout funds last December”.

It had felt that the roles should have been given to its members who would have been upskilled accordingly.

“It was our considered view that the work could and should have been carried out by the new Intreo Service and we do not believe that paying private contractors by result to reduce the live register is the way to deal with the crisis amongst the long-term unemployed,” said CPSU deputy general secretary Derek Mullen.

“Obviously, the executive committee and Department of Social Protection national committee will be considering its response to the arbitration outcome.”

In its ruling, the arbitration board said it had taken into account the scale of the manpower planned to be deployed as part of the initiative and “the clear impracticality of matching this number through existing staffing resources, including redeployment possibilities and the prospect of temporary staff engagement”.

The CPSU did take some comfort from the fact the board said there should be a review of both the demand for the services, the quality of the services, “and their efficacy in addressing the issue of long-term unemployment” between 12 and 18 months after its inception.

The department said it was pleased the matter had been resolved: “In light of the ongoing moratorium on public service recruitment it is not possible to increase capacity in the department to the extent needed especially for what is expected to be a short- to medium-term peak in the live register. It does not make sense to engage 1,000 career civil servants to address a problem which is expected to ease as the economy picks up.”

January 2015: Social welfare privatisation kicks in, quietly and unquestioned. | Village Magazine

Activation policy now appears to be moving towards a ‘work first’ model that stresses job-search assistance with less emphasis on education and training. In many similar ‘work first’ and ‘pay by result’ régimes the most vulnerable of welfare claimants (people experiencing literacy, homelessness, addiction, domestic-violence, and mental health issues) are the most likely to experience sanctions.

This raises questions about the ethics of such activation regimes, reinforces the necessity of monitoring the new regime, and underscores the need to advocate to support those vulnerable to sanctions. Irish society needs to publicly debate issues of sanctions, when they are reasonable and who should determine their application.

There is international evidence that ‘pay by results’ contracts can push claimants into low-paid, low-quality and temporary employment. This leads to recycling claimants into patterns of ‘low pay, no pay’, as they move between poor-quality employment and welfare. ‘Pay by results’ contracts can of course require quality, ‘sustainable’ outcomes but the JobPath contracts appear ambiguous on this.

Payment to the contractors is conditional on sustainable employment outcomes but a series of temporary job contracts qualifies as a ‘sustainable employment outcome’. Again, this needs to be monitored. The design of JobPath, based on a ‘work first’ model, means the private-sector company or the individual claimant involved will directly pay for the option of training or education. This will likely mean fewer people being supported in education and training and a re-orientation to short-term and more vocational training. There will be less investment in options with potential to realise better long term sustainable individual, societal and even economic outcomes.

October 2015: Private JobPath operators to get job sustainment fees

Private sector operators of the Government’s new JobPath scheme are to be paid a sequence of “job-sustainment fees” based on the length of time they keep people at work.

The programme, which targets the 164,000 long-term unemployed people on the Live Register, has been controversially outsourced to two recruitment firms.

Turas Nua and Seetec will be paid an initial registration fee for signing up candidates and then up to four “job-sustainment” fees – paid retrospectively for each 13-week period of accumulated employment of at least 30 hours a week.

The fees agreed at each stage have not been disclosed but they will take into account the length of time candidates has been without work...

...Depending on the number of referrals, the programme is expected to cost the Government€200 million to €340 million over six years.The Government hopes it will make savings on jobseekers’ payments of€315 million to €525 million.

UK Independent 2013; Revealed: The great outsourcing scandal as firms 'cut corners' to cream profits off public | UK Politics | News | The Independent

The Irish Times: Varadkar to refer 60,000 unemployed to the privately-run Job Path scheme

Three of the four people in this company have links to FG/FF/Rehab/TBG Learning.

Mouna Kenzaoui The CEO of Seetec set up Rehab Jobfit....so we know where Jobpath is heading.
https://www.linkedin.com/in/mounakenzaoui

Ray McGreals Linkedin profile....operations director.
https://ie.linkedin.com/in/raymond-mcgreal-56b740a2

Mike Burger - Operations Director another one who's ex-Rehab. He also worked for A4e the second company that was at the centre of the fraud controversy in the UK.
https://ie.linkedin.com/in/mike-burg...es_author_name

Karl Milne.
https://www.linkedin.com/in/karlmilne

Tadhg Gaelach

Staff member
Donator
PI Member
It really shows how castrated and worthless the trade unions have become that such a horrendous criminal scam could be carried out under their noses.

darthhead

PI Member
Where has the opposition been in all this?

The first I heard about this was reading this thread, why haven't I heard about this on the news or from the mouths of any of the opposition?

Then is far worse than Jobsbridge.

Tadhg Gaelach

Staff member
Donator
PI Member
Where has the opposition been in all this?

The first I heard about this was reading this thread, why haven't I heard about this on the news or from the mouths of any of the opposition?

Then is far worse than Jobsbridge.

Irish youth have been thrown to the dogs by parasite vermin like Enda Kenny and Micheál Martin.

R

Really

Non Registered Member
The state has quietly privatised the unemployment sector.

Now if you are unfortunate to find yourself employed you have to sign up to jobpath.

Jobpath is a new welfare job seeker scheme that replaced Intreo. You have to attend one on one interviews 3 times a week until you find a job.

Everything seems fine, that is until you discover what the government have done.

Instead of rolling this out to the social welfare offices across the country they have instead handed it all over to a private company called Turas Nua. According to reports this company works on commision to get people of the unemployment register, so good luck thinking a good qality job or training will be found for you!
DSP appoints Turas Nua to deliver JobPath services

http://turasnua.ie/content/view/News+-+DSP+appoints+Turas+Nua+to+provide+JobPath+services

April 2014: The Examiner, by Stephen Rogers: Fears over companies outsourcing JobPath | Irish Examiner

The Department of Social Protection has been given the green light to outsource the 1,000 roles required to run its job activation scheme, JobPath, to the private sector.

However, fears have been expressed that the organisations appointed will be operating on a commission basis and will only be interested in getting people into work or training which is unsuitable.

The Public Service Executive Union and the Civil Public and Services Union had opposed the plans and the matter had been forwarded to an arbitration board. It has ruled in favour of the department.

Tom Geraghty of the PSEU said the roles should have been kept within the public service. He said the private sector firms which will be appointed to run the service will be doing so on a “bounty basis” where they would simply be rewarded for getting people off the live register and into jobs and training which may not be suitable.

He said that, until now, local employment services had done a good job in providing the long-term unemployed with training and assistance.

The CPSU had expressed concerns in advance of the arbitration board’s decision that “the political imperative that may sway the arbitration decision against us in this matter, given that this particular outsourcing proposal was a troika demand, linked to the final tranche of bailout funds last December”.

It had felt that the roles should have been given to its members who would have been upskilled accordingly.

“It was our considered view that the work could and should have been carried out by the new Intreo Service and we do not believe that paying private contractors by result to reduce the live register is the way to deal with the crisis amongst the long-term unemployed,” said CPSU deputy general secretary Derek Mullen.

January 2015: Social welfare privatisation kicks in, quietly and unquestioned. | Village Magazine

October 2015: Private JobPath operators to get job sustainment fees

UK Independent 2013; Revealed: The great outsourcing scandal as firms 'cut corners' to cream profits off public | UK Politics | News | The Independent

The Irish Times: Varadkar to refer 60,000 unemployed to the privately-run Job Path scheme

Three of the four people in this company have links to FG/FF/Rehab/TBG Learning.

Mouna Kenzaoui The CEO of Seetec set up Rehab Jobfit....so we know where Jobpath is heading.
https://www.linkedin.com/in/mounakenzaoui

Ray McGreals Linkedin profile....operations director.
https://ie.linkedin.com/in/raymond-mcgreal-56b740a2

Mike Burger - Operations Director another one who's ex-Rehab. He also worked for A4e the second company that was at the centre of the fraud controversy in the UK.
https://ie.linkedin.com/in/mike-burg...es_author_name

Karl Milne.
https://www.linkedin.com/in/karlmilne
They only get paid when a person stays in work 13 weeks, 26weeks and so on. Meaning if they put someone in any job not caring about the suitability/sustainable aspect, they would not be paid. Each person goes once a week if not a fortnight on average not 3 times a week. From my experience the only people giving out are those front of a protest every time and those who do not want to work. My first day with TS day ask me what I wanted to work at, I said 3 types of jobs and we worked on my first preference. I got a job after 3 weeks with my PA. This payment by results model should have been brought in years ago. Social welfare officers got paid regardless of if I got a job or not. Stop giving out over something you clearly know noting about.

R

Really

Non Registered Member
Lol everyone just jumps on the bandwagon. They are operating a year now and have helped hundreds if not thousands get into real paid jobs. They need to get people into full-time paid jobs not crappy CE or JobBridge schemes but real jobs. What the absolute hell are you lot on about??? JobBridge was the worst scheme because it was not monitored and employers ripped it apart. JobPath and its contractors have to uphold a contract to provide a baseline of support to each person the DSP sends them, that includes one-to-one support, CV, interview and lots of other training to help people towards their job goals. Please stop spouting the same wrong information because of past schemes clouding your judgment, give this one a chance!

dara

PI Member
Lol everyone just jumps on the bandwagon. They are operating a year now and have helped hundreds if not thousands get into real paid jobs. They need to get people into full-time paid jobs not crappy CE or JobBridge schemes but real jobs. What the absolute hell are you lot on about??? JobBridge was the worst scheme because it was not monitored and employers ripped it apart. JobPath and its contractors have to uphold a contract to provide a baseline of support to each person the DSP sends them, that includes one-to-one support, CV, interview and lots of other training to help people towards their job goals. Please stop spouting the same wrong information because of past schemes clouding your judgment, give this one a chance!
Sounds like you may work for them, you seen very defensive!

Tadhg Gaelach

Staff member
Donator
PI Member
They only get paid when a person stays in work 13 weeks, 26weeks and so on. Meaning if they put someone in any job not caring about the suitability/sustainable aspect, they would not be paid. Each person goes once a week if not a fortnight on average not 3 times a week. From my experience the only people giving out are those front of a protest every time and those who do not want to work. My first day with TS day ask me what I wanted to work at, I said 3 types of jobs and we worked on my first preference. I got a job after 3 weeks with my PA. This payment by results model should have been brought in years ago. Social welfare officers got paid regardless of if I got a job or not. Stop giving out over something you clearly know noting about.

Everybody wants to work - they just don't want to be exploited by some cheap little gombeen.

Last edited:

Danny Dyer`s Pants

PI Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It would appear from the reports I have been given that those conducting the interviews every fortnight are clearly unfit to do the job to begin with.

Then we have to consider the links this company has to a similar company in the UK which was widely in the news for abusing its position and people.

How does this company find jobs that the jobless cant even find?

Do they magic them up from thin air, do they have magic skills?

Tadhg Gaelach

Staff member
Donator
PI Member
One thing we have to remember is, despite the media propaganda, the dole is not there to benefit the unemployed. Capitalism needs unemployment - the reserve army of labour as Marx put it. As any Capitalist economy reaches full employment it goes into recession. The dole is only there to maintain a large pool of unemployed labour - while at the same time preventing revolution. Mass immigration is now being used to further undermine the native worker and boost up the reserve army of labour.

Top Bottom