The Palestinian arts and culture thread

Threads
Threads
The Poster Formerly Known as "Gaelach Taidhger"
(as satire is apparently "verboten" on this so called "free-speech" forum"! )

Maybe free speech isn't all its cracked up to be.
Rather I know exactly what is meant and intended by use of the term "free speech" on this forum.

Threads

SwordOfStCatherine

Staff member
PI Member
Threads
Who of any intelligence at all could give such a statement any credence. Anyone seriously interested in understanding the phenomenon might refer here for a reading list to get started - The Best Books on Anti-Semitism | Five Books Expert Recommendations
I have two of the books on there, the one by Anthony Julius and the one by Robert S Wistrich (what a nasty character he was), and I would recommend to those seeking a fuller understanding of what could be referred to as the Jewish Question. The first thing about it is while Wistrich in it paints the Jews who were an often incredibly powerful middle man minority as totally passive beings- almost agentless- who would never do anyone any harm at all, than he calls anti-Semitism a virus- and he comes across as almost literally believing that it is a virus when we are talking about a prejudice- which mutates (that is when I began to wonder about his sanity) and a virus he claims started with Christianity which untrue (I am planning a thread on Second Temple Era anti-Semitism- as know Second Temple Judaism is a subject that fascinates me and I have great admiration for most of the Second Temple Jews, doing so I think will prove how silly it is to essentialize anti-Semitism the way that Rabbi Jonathan Sacks does) and which started in Christianity. The magnificent "Israeli" Austrian Jewish Professor David Flusser wrote several articles which haven't made it into translation (a lot of his books have though and even if I disagree with some of the conclusions he reaches radically they really magnificent works of scholarship) during the high point of anti-Christian hatred in the Zionist colonial project which was the early 1960s refuting this nonsense and he was a devout Orthodox Jew. He pointed out that Christianity served at many times to protect Jews and it was the radically anti-Traditional Christianity Hitlerite regime who committed to his mind the worst crime ever committed against Jewry (as you know some Jews believe that the worst crime ever was the destruction of the Second Temple and the Roman ban on Jews living in Jerusalem). The book is useful for understanding the workings of a certain type of Jewish mind which is likely to cause anti-Semitism alright but taken at face value it offers nothing towards understanding it. The book by Anthony Julius is the height of ungrateful petty sniping when to mind it isn't engaging in full blown slander against the English people.

What does fascinate me is that one of those books is written by our own Conor Cruise O'Brien- given that he was such an enemy of Apartheid South Africa I am mildly surprised that he was a fan of the Zionist colonial project.

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator
Premium Account
PI Member
Threads
Do you feel Jews ought to trust in the world's benevolence and tender mercies again, have faith in that approach to ensuring their security and circumstances? With no other option? Well of course you do. You have made hideously plain your feelings about the only serious alternative approach, which is Zionism. But perhaps one day you will come to understand the hesitation on this question that most people other than you or your cronies on here have. (Lesser Known Highlights of Jewish International Relations In The Common Era)

It seems to me that when you're thrown out of every country you settle in, over hundreds of years, you might just ask yourself if your behaviour might actually be the problem.

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator
Premium Account
PI Member
Threads
Rather I know exactly what is meant and intended by use of the term "free speech" on this forum.

Well roc, you behaved disgracefully by turning informer against this forum and making spurious allegations to the police. By the looks of it, the police saw through your nonsense and gave you the bum's rush. However, you were forgiven and allowed back. I don't think you can get more free speech than that. We even have free speech for those who want to harm us.

SwordOfStCatherine

Staff member
PI Member
Threads
Who of any intelligence at all could give such a statement any credence. Anyone seriously interested in understanding the phenomenon might refer here for a reading list to get started - The Best Books on Anti-Semitism | Five Books Expert Recommendations
Though I think that the first chapter is close to being unmitigated nonsense in large parts actually the best on European anti-Semitism from the Enlightenment up the run up to WWII is called Esau's Tears and was written by a Jewish academic, unlike Robert S Wistrich and Anthony Julius he really gets into the substance of what drove conflicts between Jews and non-Jews in that era. By the way the author wasn't some crazy Post-Zionist if that is what you are thinking.

Top Bottom