The notion that fallen Angels interbred with humans causing the Great Flood.

SwordOfStCatherine

Staff member
PI Member
This notion which was widely believed by Second Temple Jews and within the Pre-Nicene Christian Church but feel very much from favour among the Church Fathers as well as the Rabbis from the fourth century on seems to be making a come back among North American Protestants (and so of course being picked up by Protestants in Ulster) since the 00s. It is at least strongly implied in the Bible itself, in Genesis Chapter 6 we read:

Douay-Rheims Catholic Bible, Genesis Chapter 6

"[1] And after that men began to be multiplied upon the earth, and daughters were born to them, [2] The sons of God seeing the daughters of men, that they were fair, took to themselves wives of all which they chose. [3] And God said: My spirit shall not remain in man for ever, because he is flesh, and his days shall be a hundred and twenty years. [4] Now giants were upon the earth in those days. For after the sons of God went in to the daughters of men, and they brought forth children, these are the mighty men of old, men of renown. [5] And God seeing that the wickedness of men was great on the earth, and that all the thought of their heart was bent upon evil at all times, [6] It repented him that he had made man on the earth. And being touched inwardly with sorrow of heart, [7] He said: I will destroy man, whom I have created, from the face of the earth, from man even to beasts, from the creeping thing even to the fowls of the air, for it repenteth me that I have made them. [8] But Noe found grace before the Lord. [9] These are the generations of Noe: Noe was a just and perfect man in his generations, he walked with God."

Now sons of God can refer to the Angels in the Bible such as in the Book of Job because they are a direct creation of God. Also if the sons of God refers here as most of the Post-Nicene Church Fathers and so today's Catholics and Orthodox Christian (interestingly enough the Ethiopians I have been told believe that sons of God here refers to fallen Angels) to the Elect line of Seth why would the children they fathered by the women of the accursed line of Cain turn out to be giants? I case could be made also that by Noah being perfect in his generations this means that he was untouched by inter-breeding with the fallen Angels or their spawn.

Tadhg Gaelach

Staff member
Donator
PI Member
Premium Account
Yes, that's one of the most fascinating themes in the Old Testament. It seems to come from a polytheist phase of Judaic belief.

page61

PI Member
Im not sure it deserves a thread.

Are educated (hopefully) adults seriously going to discuss Fallen angles interbreeding and floods and take it seriously .

The Field Marshal

PI Member
Angels are incorporeal.
They have no material parts.
The notion that angels could physically mate with anything to generate new life is therefore absurd.

Setantawatchl

Banned
PI Member
Isn't it an opportunity for the absurd poster to insert the word Jew into another thread.

Ted

PI Member
The corruption of mankind and the Great Flood now seems more like a prophecy than a myth.

Perhaps that was the intent?

SwordOfStCatherine

Staff member
PI Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes, that's one of the most fascinating themes in the Old Testament. It seems to come from a polytheist phase of Judaic belief.
I do believe that the ancient Hebrews were originally Monotheist though I am fully aware that this is very hard to prove conclusively. I think the American Prods start getting into this idea in part to argue against the "New Atheists" who are always bringing up the Book of Joshua where you have God basically seeming to order genocide- the idea that the Rephaim were the products of the unlawful mixture of human and Angelic seed who should never come into existence in the first place is their justification for what took place (or maybe took place). Generally secular historians now totally reject the "Invasion Theory" of ancient Israelite origins. I don't think that ancient Israel had one origin, I think it had a combination of them. I think that the Book of Joshua is a re-written account of a social revolt. The thing is that this concept is also very much linked to the idea which you find in the Old Testament and even to a stronger extent in Second Temple Judaism that there is something evil about technology and that a lot of technology actually has demonic origins. There American Protestants for the most part do not seem to have picked this up in the Book of Enoch.

SwordOfStCatherine

Staff member
PI Member
Angels are incorporeal.
They have no material parts.
The notion that angels could physically mate with anything to generate new life is therefore absurd.
That was St Augustine's argument against this concept and it won out. However Angels are clearly embodied in the Bible. Remember all the stuff about St Peter's guardian Angel in the Acts of the Apostles? I think that there are problems both with the Sethite and Fallen Angel theories about Genesis Six.

The Field Marshal

PI Member
That was St Augustine's argument against this concept and it won out. However Angels are clearly embodied in the Bible. Remember all the stuff about St Peter's guardian Angel in the Acts of the Apostles? I think that there are problems both with the Sethite and Fallen Angel theories about Genesis Six.
That was the Field Marshals argument.
I am no fan of St. Augustine but on this specific issue he was right..

The theory that a race of people lived on earth and died out before Adam and Eve has never been condemned by the catholic church.

Your OP may dovetail with the Homo Sapiens and Neanderthal recent bio-archaeological and genetic discoveries.

SwordOfStCatherine

Staff member
PI Member
Im not sure it deserves a thread.

Are educated (hopefully) adults seriously going to discuss Fallen angles interbreeding and floods and take it seriously .
There are myths all over the world of "gods" mating with humans and the myth of a Great Flood is basically universal. You have been brought up to believe that before the 19 th century humans were total idiotic space cadet gobshytes obviously. I have never taken such an approach.

Top Bottom