Hot The National Party's 9 Principles

I have no doubt the No side would of won if they were given an equal platform and we didn't have the non stop Propaganda for the past 5 years since the death of Savita Halappanavar.
I have no doubt the No side would of won if we could have gone back 40 years in time and lots of stuff that happened in the intervening years hadn't happened.

What a balloon!

I have no doubt the No side would of won if we could have gone back 40 years in time and lots of stuff that happened in the intervening years hadn't happened.

What a balloon!
What has happened in that time that justifies abortion on demand ?

No . Thats the aim of a political party . The purpose is to implement a set of values once elected that they believe will make society better . Lets take your thinking to its logical conclusion ... say you get elected on one single platform such as immigration and you solve the issue to everyones satisfaction . You have now made yourself redundant , you have no other issues to work off and you still have another 4 years left in the Dail during which time your hands are tied because the electorate will punish if you try to do anything else they didn't vote you in to do.
If the aim of the party is to spell out their agenda, but that agenda is guaranteed to never get them elected, then they need to change their agenda or shut up shop.

Look at the referendums we have had on
  • Abortion
  • Citizenship
  • Same-Sex marriage
  • Articles 2 & 3

These have all been passed by a vast majority of Irish voters.
It's not even close.
I dare say divorce would pass by close to 90% today, as will the forthcoming blasphemy referendum.

My issue isn't the fact that the party has other agendas, it's that they are so wholly and blatantly out of touch.
That's the absolute beauty of referendums, it provides such a pure, clear cut example of where public opinion lies.
You don't even have to guess or commission surveys !

For any party now to say they will not enact laws on abortion is absolute poison.
All they have to say is ''Although not personally in favour of abortion, I respect the will of the people and feel constitutionally bound to enact the result of the referendum''.

But Barrett is so fundamentalist and dogmatic in his approach, he cannot help but make himself instantly unelectable.
And if you can't get elected, you're completely ineffectual.
As I said, he'd be better off staying at home on the sofa.

Dublin 4

Premium Account
There is no "Party" it's just a You Tube Channel....

If the aim of the party is to spell out their agenda, but that agenda is guaranteed to never get them elected, then they need to change their agenda or shut up shop.

• Abortion
  • Citizenship
  • Same-Sex marriage
  • Articles 2 & 3

It's not even close.
I dare say divorce would pass by close to 90% today, as will the forthcoming blasphemy referendum.

My issue isn't the fact that the party has other agendas, it's that they are so wholly and blatantly out of touch.
That's the absolute beauty of referendums, it provides such a pure, clear cut example of where public opinion lies.

For any party now to say they will not enact laws on abortion is absolute poison.
All they have to say is ''Although not personally in favour of abortion, I respect the will of the people and feel constitutionally bound to enact the result of the referendum''.

But Barrett is so fundamentalist and dogmatic in his approach, he cannot help but make himself instantly unelectable.

The mainstream political establishment is also anti democratic.

Remember Lisbon and Nice ?

It didnt do the mainstream parties any harm to oppose democracy when they didnt like it.

The

• Abortion
  • Citizenship
  • Same-Sex marriage
  • Articles 2 & 3

These have all been passed by a vast majority of Irish voters..
And the reason they were all passed is because all of the political parties did a U Turn on the issues , an entire Media campaigned in favour of them and all people heard every day in and out was Vote yes .

It was an exercise in propaganda and indoctrination by a finely tuned state propaganda machine in my opinion being run from deep within the darkest rooms of the EU Commission

I campaigned on the doors in the abortion referendum and I can tell you its scary how people kept repeating the things being said and written in the Media day in and day out . They were only hearing one voice and that was the problem

Last edited:

• Abortion
  • Citizenship
  • Same-Sex marriage
  • Articles 2 & 3

It's not even close.

Abortion should be left as a matter for the individual's conscience, with no party member obliged to take a position one way or the other.

That's the only sensible way to go about it IMO.

Abortion should be left as a matter for the individual's conscience, with no party member obliged to take a position one way or the other.

That's the only sensible way to go about it IMO.
You could make the same argument for child abuse just let the individual decide if its right.

You could make the same argument for child abuse just let the individual decide if its right.
I was speaking in terms of a hypothetical nationalist party's policy on the matter.
For example, if such a party had sitting TDs, the whip wouldn't be applied when it came to votes on abortion.

Any other policy is just p1ssing in the wind.

Top Bottom